The Alloa Athletic Thread

So he will do something that will lose him money because he loves money... Logical route of thought there.

If he believes the lies being told and accepts the bribe then yes, pretty logical. Just make sure you lot make your opinions known.

2 hours ago, Wilky1878 said:

Whilst i'm 100% against colt teams in the league and would never attend an Alloa vs Colt team league fixture the sending players thing won't be allowed if this goes through and the two teams ie Celtic and Celtic Colts would be treated as two different sides so moves would need to be put through as permanent transfer or loan during transfer windows.

You could play 3 overage players in this years Irn-Bru Cup (not sure if any colts team did field first teamers). Think it would be naive to think that the big teams won't be tempted to use their B teams for first team fitness. Is there actually any solid proposals yet that talk about proposed rules/formats? 

As far as I've seen it seems to be based on media talking about it. Yet there's no smoke without fire.

11 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

You could play 3 overage players in this years Irn-Bru Cup (not sure if any colts team did field first teamers). Think it would be naive to think that the big teams won't be tempted to use their B teams for first team fitness. Is there actually any solid proposals yet that talk about proposed rules/formats? 

As far as I've seen it seems to be based on media talking about it. Yet there's no smoke without fire.

Aye; check the threads I linked to earlier. There's a proposal document that's been circulated among clubs in League Two, with Elgin and Edinburgh City uploading it to their websites.

The most disturbing thing is that the SPFL appear quite happy to be allowing themselves to be used as a sockpuppet for Celtic and Rangers. The next step outlined in the document is that representatives from those clubs will be in touch with the League Two clubs directly. Draw your own conclusions about why that would be.

Edit: here's the proposal: www.elgincity.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Colt-teams-Jan-18.pdf.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

Aye; check the threads I linked to earlier. There's a proposal document that's been circulated among clubs in League Two, with Elgin and Edinburgh City uploading it to their websites.
The most disturbing thing is that the SPFL appear quite happy to be allowing themselves to be used as a sockpuppet for Celtic and Rangers. The next step outlined in the document is that representatives from those clubs will be in touch with the League Two clubs directly. Draw your own conclusions about why that would be.
Edit: here's the proposal: www.elgincity.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Colt-teams-Jan-18.pdf.

The whole thing seems rather poorly thought out. The safeguards outlined, to protect League Two clubs, are necessary, but are also so onerous, that many SPL clubs would be unable to take part. I doubt, for instance, that either of Ross County or Hamilton, who came first and second in the development league last season, would be able to afford to commit.
Also, the stated aim at the start of the document, is to increase the number of promising youngsters playing first team football. But the proposal will almost certainly have the opposite effect. Would players such as Jamie McCart or PJ Crossan have been able to play for Alloa if Celtic had had a B team in League Two? The effects go further than the loan system, as it is doubtful players like Calum Waters would have been released by Celtic last year if they were playing in the reserve team.
A further point of interest for Alloa fans. I notice Chris McCart is the person at Celtic charged with selling this to the League Two clubs. Does he really think players like his son will be better served by playing in a reserve team in League Two, rather than playing in the Championship or League One on loan to St Mirren earlier in the season and Alloa now? Jamie was playing in the Celtic U20 team that lost to Annan earlier in the season. Incidentally, Annan have issued a statement saying they are not behind the proposal at present: https://www.annanathleticfc.com/colt-teams-in-division-2/ No doubt a visit from Chris McCart is on the cards to persuade them to change their mind.

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Well I wouldn't be surprised if we see Celtic and Rangers Colts now. Adding an extra £150,000 to the bottom of the ladder think cash strapped teams will probably jump at that (unless fans threaten to  boycott all games). Weird concept to get my head around with them not being promoted/relegated but able to potentially wreck other teams seasons. Don't think this will affect us in any way soon. I don't see us getting into relegation form again.

20 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I tried asking a while back but, to be fair, I didn't ask his personal opinion.

Volunteers?  :P

Think during the timeframe on the tweets there (June) one of the guys in the supporters club wrote a pretty substantial piece to the chairman opposing it. Might be worth regurgitating.

http://www.alloaadvertiser.com/sport/15899849.Goodwin_argues__colt_team__proposals_should_be_given_a_chance/?ref=twtrec

Not sure Jim was  for Colt proposals but definitely more of a loan draft system where we can all tap into the players being developed. I assume the buy-in for Colts would be said system. Nice to see Jamie trying to get Jim's crown reclaimed as the most hated man in football.

34 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Back to club affairs though Hoggie is out on loan to Boness Utd and Adam Martin's probably going to go on loan today too.

Really.  We can't fill the bench as it is never mind a couple of players lighter.  The 2 guys are desperate to play so good luck to them. Can't help think we lost a great opportunity to give Adam starts after the Queens Park and Forfar home games in September to see what he could do from the first minute.

12 minutes ago, Not a Bee said:

Really.  We can't fill the bench as it is never mind a couple of players lighter.  The 2 guys are desperate to play so good luck to them. Can't help think we lost a great opportunity to give Adam starts after the Queens Park and Forfar home games in September to see what he could do from the first minute.

Cunningham's going on loan too I understand. Stewart will be back, hopefully  PJ Crossan too, and Meggatt was targeting a Dundee Utd return so he can't be far away. Cunningham's been banging them in, in the the development league, hopefully all these young boys can get some game time and make an impact.

Adam martin on loan , thats a joke !

Why? It's in his and the club's interests for him to play as much as possible and so develop.

He's still some way off being good enough to start at our level, and with the strengthening of the squad in January is less likely to get time from the bench.

Depending on how he does on loan we'll have a better idea of what level he can continue his career at.

5 minutes ago, printer said:

Why? It's in his and the club's interests for him to play as much as possible and so develop.

He's still some way off being good enough to start at our level, and with the strengthening of the squad in January is less likely to get time from the bench.

Depending on how he does on loan we'll have a better idea of what level he can continue his career at.

Agree with this, need to see what he can do playing regularly.

Seem to remember this same debate over Scott Hynd, folk wanting him in the team, did he not go on loan to Montrose and did hee-haw, turned up at Sauchie and lasted about a fortnight and who knows where he is now? 

Don’t think it’s a joke anymore. I get the calls for Adam to play when we persisting on Malcolm up top to no real avail. However, now we have brought in PJ, Stewart & Kirkpatrick who are better and more suited to the senior game right now. I see no place for him in the starting eleven just now.