The Alloa Athletic Thread

In the calendar year of 2017 , our managers win ratio has been excellent. Yes there was a poor first quarter this season but he has made key changes that have certainly got the best out of our squad.

Cook was a disaster but in fairness he has given him a chance and moved him on when it wasn't working . He also made a key switch with Fleming dropping into midfield . 

His record has been excellent and deserves better support than he gets in certain sections of the home support.

An emerging great alloa manager 

I've been underwhelmed by Goodwin for the vast majority of 2017. Poor decisions from him cost us promotion with a shite Brechin team going up instead. 0 wins from 17 for them so far. Criminal that we couldn't beat them in the play-offs with the brainwave of leaving our top scorer on the bench for the first leg particularly galling. His recruitment in the summer seemed confused too, and that was certainly a factor in our poor start. Has to be said too that we (and he) benefitted from a lot of luck at the start of our improved form.

However, 18 points from the last 8 games is excellent form. One very encouraging thing is that the players have always played for him, despite some questionable calls from the sideline. The squad looks decent at the moment and we have the likes of Meggatt and McKeown to come back in. If Crossan could be retained for the rest of the season then we could be pretty optimistic for the months ahead. So while I can't agree that the manager has been excellent over the year, I can at least see  hope over the past few weeks that he is now growing into his role after an unconvincing start. Hopefully more of the same to come. Well done to him for the improved form. I didn't think he had it in him. Would be fantastic if he is indeed an emerging great Alloa manager.

Happy Christmas to all Alloa fans and all the best for 2018.

Edited by Waspie

Brechin ...Criminal that we couldn't beat them in the play-offs with the brainwave of leaving our top scorer on the bench for the first leg particularly galling.

Leaving Greig out of the first leg was a reasonable decision at the time IMO. Remember that he was also left out for the previous game up there when we beat them and played very well.

You could also argue that the rest or being left out was a big reason in Spence getting a hat-trick in the second leg. [emoji6]

I think losing four goals over the two games was a bigger factor in us not winning promition.

22 minutes ago, printer said:

Leaving Greig out of the first leg was a reasonable decision at the time IMO. Remember that he was also left out for the previous game up there when we beat them and played very well.

You could also argue that the rest or being left out was a big reason in Spence getting a hat-trick in the second leg. emoji6.png

I think losing four goals over the two games was a bigger factor in us not winning promition.

Take your point, about the goals in particular. But I feel the decision to leave Spence out that night was symbolic of Jim's approach to that first game. He spoke before of how we couldn't play our normal game on their pitch and that it would be a battle. He set up to play on Brechin's terms and lost. We were better than Brechin but he contributed greatly to bringing us down to their level. Whilst a guy with 23 goals sat on the bench. That also left us chasing the tie in the second game, which in turn was a big factor in conceding 3 more that day.

We were shite against Airdrie away too the week before. It was painful to watch our slow build up, a couple of passes across the back four as Airdrie got everyone back into defence, then Frank McKeown would pump a long ball onto Simon Mensing's head. All this with Jason Marr sitting on the bench. And had Jim stuck to the policy of the guy in possesson keeping the shirt then Jason would have been playing. Two of our worst performances of the season came in this 4 play-off games. But hopefully some lessons have been learned from all that. 

23 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Was today meant to be the last game of PJ & Crane’s loans? Hopefully can sort out extension for both players.

Crossan's extension was a formality. The paperwork was in the office for weeks just waiting on signatures. Didn't ask about Crane but doubt he'll be different.

2 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Crossan's extension was a formality. The paperwork was in the office for weeks just waiting on signatures. Didn't ask about Crane but doubt he'll be different.

Forge his signature next time, FFS!

Does that mean he's ours 'til May? Lovely.

On 1/6/2018 at 12:43, LeodhasXD said:

https://www.facebook.com/AlloaAthleticFC/

Right guys if you can do me a favour and like the page and tell others about it that'd be braw. Will be putting stuff on this as regularly as I can aswell. Got to look like we're a professional club ticking all the social media boxes.

You should try get one of them blue tick thingy's on the page so people don't just assume it's a fan page.

20 minutes ago, Wilky1878 said:

You should try get one of them blue tick thingy's on the page so people don't just assume it's a fan page.

We don't have one on twitter either the week I applied was the week they got in trouble about verifying right wing accounts and were rethinking the verification system.

1 minute ago, LeodhasXD said:

We don't have one on twitter either the week I applied was the week they got in trouble about verifying right wing accounts and were rethinking the verification system.

Alloa Athletic - The voice of the right wing...

With only Raith conceding less and only Airdrie, Queens Park and Forfar scoring less, it is easy to see where our problems lie so it is good to see Ross Stewart banging in a goal a game in his first three.  Got me thinking about where our goals are coming from and goals per minute ratio for our attacking minded players.  Quite a shocking find to be honest (BBC website used).  Renton is our top striker scoring 6 and averaging just under a goal every two games.  Everyone else is way off that.  Despite his pace, trickery and enthusiasm, Crossan is only averaging a goal every 4 games, the same as Cawley but that was only because he scored at the weekend otherwise it would have been every 6 games.  He needs to do more with his opportunities as he does great work getting in behind but invariably his final ball is dreadful.  Malcolm is THE major disappointment having been brought in to score the goals his return is a measly 2 with a return of one every 5 and a half games.  When you think of what Spence and Kirky gave us in the goals department last season we are truly found wanting in front of goal this season.

- Stewart 3 goals in 270 minutes equiv to a goal every 90 minutes

- Renton 6 in 1006 mins so 168 mins

- Martin 1 in 197 mins so 197 mins

- Cawley 4 in 1434 mins so 358 mins

- Crossan 3 in 1075 mins so 358 mins

- Malcolm 2 in 1026 mins so 513 mins

- Flannigan  in 1620 mins so 540 mins

11 minutes ago, Not a Bee said:

With only Raith conceding less and only Airdrie, Queens Park and Forfar scoring less, it is easy to see where our problems lie so it is good to see Ross Stewart banging in a goal a game in his first three.  Got me thinking about where our goals are coming from and goals per minute ratio for our attacking minded players.  Quite a shocking find to be honest (BBC website used).  Renton is our top striker scoring 6 and averaging just under a goal every two games.  Everyone else is way off that.  Despite his pace, trickery and enthusiasm, Crossan is only averaging a goal every 4 games, the same as Cawley but that was only because he scored at the weekend otherwise it would have been every 6 games.  He needs to do more with his opportunities as he does great work getting in behind but invariably his final ball is dreadful.  Malcolm is THE major disappointment having been brought in to score the goals his return is a measly 2 with a return of one every 5 and a half games.  When you think of what Spence and Kirky gave us in the goals department last season we are truly found wanting in front of goal this season.

- Stewart 3 goals in 270 minutes equiv to a goal every 90 minutes

- Renton 6 in 1006 mins so 168 mins

- Martin 1 in 197 mins so 197 mins

- Cawley 4 in 1434 mins so 358 mins

- Crossan 3 in 1075 mins so 358 mins

- Malcolm 2 in 1026 mins so 513 mins

- Flannigan  in 1620 mins so 540 mins

Spence last season was toting similar to renton actually and he was our best although Kirky was close. BBC is only League goals so Malcolm is down because he had 6 in the cups. Renton has grown into the games last couple weeks after a bad start and I think he looks more threatening than Malcolm. Cawley started on fire but stopped scoring before he got his 50th.  He got it and has stopped again. Martin needs more game time for me. I'm a fan. I'd like to see Cunningham get a run out but understandably Jim is keeping his senior players happy. 

If I was to make a criticism of the team its that we don't control games like in past eras. When we get a lead we invite pressure by sitting deeper. Although we've used Crossan to great effect being an out ball over the top (Fleming had some crackers that werent in the highlights). I'm more of a fan of fast free flowing football with a high line but horses for courses I don't think our midfield is dynamic enough to play that style. 

The turnaround in the second quarter has been magnificient to garner the points we have. Think Airdrie will rise in the table now that their owners have changed so the battle will be between us,  Arbroath and them for the playoffs. Can see Stranraer dropping off. East Fife, Albion Rovers have already dropped off.