The Alloa Athletic Thread

5 minutes ago, PELE said:

How is Renton doing?

I never rated him. Poor touch and slow, but some fans raved about him.

Like our other signings..not much. i suppose we need to give them time  but looks like a long hard season ahead.

fleming does nothing to allay any fears , I can see why he was released by dumbarton.. i hope he proves me wrong..

Edited by whereismillar

we were very poor last night, lacked any cutting edge and we wouldve been very lucky to get anything out of that.

Fleming was very poor and didnt offer anything really and i forgot thomas grant was even on the pitch at times, very poor.

Big wake up call and shows we need to strengthen, a quick striker and a defender are needed i would say. Too many guaranteed a game, and i think thats shown in the last couple of games.

It wasnt great at all last night. Despite going a goal down in the first half, we were creating enough chances and I believed we could get back into the game. The second goal was perhaps a foul on the keeper, but still looked a soft one where it fell out of the keepers hands too easily. Hard to see from the other end though, and worth noting that the ref let go a couple of fairly meaty challenges on both goalies.

We fell out of the game though at 2-0, huffed and puffed- and ultimately deserved nothing. I would give pass marks to Flannigan, who was at least trying all he could to create and looked our most dangerous outlet. His goal was a beauty but too little too late. Cawley did his best from the bench. Below par from everyone else though. No point in playing long when our strikers made nothing stick. Big Renton didnt do it for me last night, and I think we're not playing Fleming correctly position wise- 3rd game in a row he hasnt made much impact.

Although Montrose rode it out at times I thought they deserved the win. Not overly critical result (we were already out of the cup anyway) but a poor one and will leave the manager with a lot of thinking to do. Hopefully put in a decent performance against Hibs to get us ready for the league.

7 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

It wasnt great at all last night. Despite going a goal down in the first half, we were creating enough chances and I believed we could get back into the game. The second goal was perhaps a foul on the keeper, but still looked a soft one where it fell out of the keepers hands too easily. Hard to see from the other end though, and worth noting that the ref let go a couple of fairly meaty challenges on both goalies.

We fell out of the game though at 2-0, huffed and puffed- and ultimately deserved nothing. I would give pass marks to Flannigan, who was at least trying all he could to create and looked our most dangerous outlet. His goal was a beauty but too little too late. Cawley did his best from the bench. Below par from everyone else though. No point in playing long when our strikers made nothing stick. Big Renton didnt do it for me last night, and I think we're not playing Fleming correctly position wise- 3rd game in a row he hasnt made much impact.

Although Montrose rode it out at times I thought they deserved the win. Not overly critical result (we were already out of the cup anyway) but a poor one and will leave the manager with a lot of thinking to do. Hopefully put in a decent performance against Hibs to get us ready for the league.

I'd give pass marks to Adam Martin. Made the best chance of the game.

He did fade in the 2nd half but nothing to be ashamed of for such a young player. 

I was quite concerned at the lack of structure in midfield on Tuesday. Too much aimless charging around and not enough thinking. Bad nights happen to even the best teams though, and it's very early days. It's a guarantee changes will be made for Hibs and we will be much better organised in terms of shape. The chances of getting anything on Saturday are extremely slim but this game could perversely be a good one.

A lot of talk about the new strike force , I keep thinking would jamie longworth have been any worse.

Although i think we miss waters more than anyone who left the club,

I predicted last season (not on here mind) that we would finish 2nd or 3rd

I hate to say it and i hope i am wrong ...............5th or 6th................:shutup

Doubt it's going to be a sell-out anyway, but does anyone want my ticket for the Hibs game? Yours for a donation to the British Heart Foundation of whatever you think it's worth. Send a PM and I'll give details of where to pick it up tomorrow.

Was half expecting a drubbing today but I thought Alloa did pretty well, particularly after a really poor result in midweek. Hibs clearly the better team throughout but we battled hard and contained them for much of it. 3-0 was maybe a wee bit harsh and we could well have managed a goal ourselves.

The main issue was the lack of cutting edge when we did manage to get up the field. I thought Fleming put himself about well and looked good on the ball. I think he will come good. Renton struggled and looked well off the pace. Shame he didn't stick that chance away at the end, might have given him a wee lift. Clearly we need more mobility up there and hopefully Malcolm can provide that. Cawley, Robbo and Flanny were all good in midfield. Parry also excellent on his return. 

Disappointing League Cup campaign but we were spoiled last year. At least they finished with a better performance. Hopefully they can build on it against Raith. 

We definitely did play some decent stuff in the middle of the park and matched up well to Hibs for spells in the game. 

Strange one dropping McKeown and shifting Stevie H to left back. He was given a torrid time by Boyle but hung in there pretty well.

Best I've seen Fleming so far, I would have been tempted to play him as lone striker yesterday. 

Robertson, Flannigan and Cawley all showing up well. And Adam Martin is really showing a lot of desire to get in that starting lineup, deserves credit.

Another striker is apparently expected to be signed this week.

Have to agree with the guys above, was far more impressed yesterday then previous betfred games i've seen.

Lacking cutting edge but i think that will come.

Badly missing malcolm in the games i seen him play he was a threat and will help others aswell.

On to next week, unsure how it'll go, not sure raith are any stronger than they were last season.

13 hours ago, falkirkwasp said:

...... not sure raith are any stronger than they were last season.

We're significantly stronger than last year if only because Locke and Hughes have left. We've now got a manager who doesn't resort to hoof ball and who treats people with respect.

We've got a fit goalkeeper in Aaron Lennox, Ewan Murray's been signed and is playing really well in place of Kevin McHattie, Jason Thomson is fit again, Iain Davidson's suspended for this game, Scott Robertson's fit again after 12 months out, Lewis Vaughan is back and we've signed Liam Buchanan and Greig Spence.

Not got a clue how Saturday's game will go but we are a much improved team and that's all down to Barry Smith.