The Alloa Athletic Thread

Is the league really stronger this year? There might be three full time teams but Airdrie are up shit creek, Ayr seem a bit meh and Raith don't exactly look up to much. They've appointed the cheap option of a manager who has signed two former strikers (one who is ageing and another who moves clubs every year citing it's the manager or tactics ) and that looks about it, also they don't seem that great off the park as well. As for the rest the only ones who look a threat are Arbroath.

I said it this time last year that I would be happy with a play off spot and I expect the same this year as we have a solid enough squad.

Sent from my G3311 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Is the league really stronger this year? There might be three full time teams but Airdrie are up shit creek, Ayr seem a bit meh and Raith don't exactly look up to much. They've appointed the cheap option of a manager who has signed two former strikers (one who is ageing and another who moves clubs every year citing it's the manager or tactics ) and that looks about it, also they don't seem that great off the park as well. As for the rest the only ones who look a threat are Arbroath.

I said it this time last year that I would be happy with a play off spot and I expect the same this year as we have a solid enough squad.

Sent from my G3311 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

I wouldn't discount Ayr or Raith so quickly. Barry Smith may not be Paul Hartley or Jack Ross, but he's certainly better than any other manager we've had in recent years. And the two strikers he's signed were the two best strikers in the division last year by a country mile, so their defence will have to leak a ton of goals every match to neutralise that advantage. As for Ayr, they're still a strong team, in my opinion far better than last year's Airdrie. Airdrie may be full time, but are basically just a bunch of kids, and will probably struggle to make the playoffs.

1 hour ago, printer said:

It's difficult to see us getting as many goals as we did last season, it was exceptional in that respect.

That's not to say we can't do as well overall in the league. The target has to be playoffs and from there anything can happen, as we saw last season.

Agree with that. Seems crazy to me to suggest that we have a stronger squad than last season. We had an excellent starting 11 last season and real strength in depth to back it up. It was a freakishly strong squad by Alloa standards. This season the starting 11 looks a bit weaker and much of the backup is untried youth. That said, there are still plenty of very good players and if we don't get too many injuries then we'll have a chance.

Last season we'd have been underachieving finishing lower than 2nd. This season top 4 at all would be a decent effort.

Edited by Waspie

We are weaker this year . We have lost three star performers to full time clubs and we will be in a period of consolidation this season.  We are regrouping and will go again. We still have many quality operators at this level and we should be competitive for a play off spot. As we have seen last season , a team nearer the relegated team than the team that finished second still managed to get promoted clearly demonstrated that absolutely anything can happen over a long season. 

I expect raith to win it in a canter. Barry Smith is a quality proven manager at this level and will shore up their defensive problems from last season. Buchanan was outstanding last season and there is nothing to suggest that his form will not continue.  Spence is a great goal poacher although his work outside the box is anonomous , he is a terrific finisher. A player we will miss. 

Still a lot to be enthusiastic about and I liked the way we played last season . We were a great football team to watch and for me the manager has successfully made the transition from the pitch to the technical area. 

Mon alloa

maybe weaker up front (maybe we shall see) but maybe more solid at the back

Remember we have signed meggat who is as good as anyone we have lost IMO so not weak ,

If we get Grant back to his best we have a very good player there. its all ifs and buts

I was not all that impressed with Ayr when i saw them V Clyde, Raith will be favourites for obvious reasons. but i think we wont be too far away!

7 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

I've been bored. Would you buy this top for £60?

That's a thing of beauty.

Not sure how it'd look stretched across my cracking tits, though.

maybe weaker up front (maybe we shall see) but maybe more solid at the back
Remember we have signed meggat who is as good as anyone we have lost IMO so not weak ,
If we get Grant back to his best we have a very good player there. its all ifs and buts
I was not all that impressed with Ayr when i saw them V Clyde, Raith will be favourites for obvious reasons. but i think we wont be too far away!

I definitely think we look more solid at the back, you only had to watch the game saturday to see that, we were far to easily caught out last season.

I think we have more attacking options than last season unsure how it'll work out though.

When was this game?

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

That's a thing of beauty.

Not sure how it'd look stretched across my cracking tits, though.

Problem with that kit is it costs £85 base price for shorts, shirt, socks. Pendle are probably about half the price. So selling to fans it would probably add another £25-£30. Would be nice to have a cool strip like that though

20 minutes ago, falkirkwasp said:

I definitely think we look more solid at the back, you only had to watch the game saturday to see that, we were far to easily caught out last season.

I think we have more attacking options than last season unsure how it'll work out though.

When was this game?

It was a pre season kickabout that was pretty much devoid of any edge from either side (with the sole exception of Hetherington sticking one on their captain) In no way am I taking anything as substantial as evidence we are stronger at the back based on Saturday, a game which barely left second gear all afternoon.

Let's see what happens next week at Dingwall- a real test.

I think we are stronger at the back in the starting 11. Meggatt is a better defender than Cal but Calum gave us so much going forward too that Meggatt probably won't. Frank will be fine as a CB but last season we did have Marr as back up - this season as of yet, we have no experienced back up which is vital as they normally play some sort of role.

Attacking we do have more options but none are as good as Spency up top and Kirky in behind. Malcolm will get a respectable tally I believe, as will Fleming (depending on how he's deployed) & Renton is an unknown-entity really so time will tell with him. Alan Cook in pre-season looked a decent option in attack and no doubt will be beat his 7 goal tally that he got last season. However, I also have no doubt that none of the midfielders will beat Jordan's tally & similarly with Spence's and the strikers unfortunately.

Regarding Thomas Grant, I'm still to be sold on him. Hasn't impressed all that much recently and now looking to fill Kirky's shoes. Like mentioned above if he can't get back to form he has once showed he'll be a cracking player but still not as good as Jordan and definitely doesn't have that physical side to his game.

So to say we are stronger is a bit of a stretch to be honest. We've lost players that were always going to attract offers & to be fair Jim has replaced them with quality within the budget, so credit where it's due. Roll on the season!

Regarding Thomas Grant, I'm still to be sold on him.

Got to disagree...he was one that did impress me in both games for the time he was on the park and looking forward to seeing more of him...I think he'll be a big player for us this season...