The Alloa Athletic Thread

I warmed to the Welsh and Irish teams coming into the competition after our trip to Bala last season which was outstanding. I still talk to their manager from time to time on twitter, a good guy.

I'm not sure about them receiving a bye to later rounds, but European competition dictates that I guess.

Colt teams I don't think add anything really, and falling in midweek it's a fairly nothing game. With our great League Cup run last season it's forgotten slightly that we had a good run in this competition too, reaching the last 8 again and it's one where historically we've done well.

I think last season the games caught up with us . We played a lot of cup games especially in August and September. Over the season including pre season and play offs we must have played in excess of 50 games with what was in effect a 15 man squad. 

League points are what really matters albeit I enjoyed watching us turn over spl teams and give celtic a tremendous game at Celtic park. Outside of Abedeen, team's managed by Jack ross probably gave celtic their toughest domestic cup tests. 

I wouldn't grumble if alloa played a weakened team in this competition. I think playing colt team's lessens the importance but being honest , the finals and semis we have been in have provided some of my greatest experiences watching alloa. Martyn is wrong to label the cup a joke in my opinion. I missed the Welsh trip last season due to a family holiday but it looked a terrific weekend away

13 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I warmed to the Welsh and Irish teams coming into the competition after our trip to Bala last season which was outstanding. I still talk to their manager from time to time on twitter, a good guy.

I'm not sure about them receiving a bye to later rounds, but European competition dictates that I guess.

Colt teams I don't think add anything really, and falling in midweek it's a fairly nothing game. With our great League Cup run last season it's forgotten slightly that we had a good run in this competition too, reaching the last 8 again and it's one where historically we've done well.

Is it not because the opening round is a midweek match so they get a bye until the Saturday only rounds?

I think last season the games caught up with us . We played a lot of cup games especially in August and September. Over the season including pre season and play offs we must have played in excess of 50 games with what was in effect a 15 man squad. 
League points are what really matters albeit I enjoyed watching us turn over spl teams and give celtic a tremendous game at Celtic park. Outside of Abedeen, team's managed by Jack ross probably gave celtic their toughest domestic cup tests. 
I wouldn't grumble if alloa played a weakened team in this competition. I think playing colt team's lessens the importance but being honest , the finals and semis we have been in have provided some of my greatest experiences watching alloa. Martyn is wrong to label the cup a joke in my opinion. I missed the Welsh trip last season due to a family holiday but it looked a terrific weekend away

It's the inclusion of these colt teams that make the competition weaker. I'm all for the Welsh and Irish teams being involved but don't see what the youth teams bring to the table.

As you say we've had great days in this cup but it just feels like the bigwigs in charge are trying to ruin it for the smaller teams.

Agree about the two cup runs catching up with us at the end of the season although looking back on it I'm glad we went on them.

46 minutes ago, English Wasp said:

Andy Graham will make a great captain. He's a natural leader on the pitch. Was hugely impressed with him in the role last year on occasions when Holmes was out of the team. 

My mate who's a Rangers fan came to one game last season when Holmer was playing and said how can Andy Graham not be the captain. Think everyone's on the same page with that.

Andy Graham will make a great captain. He's a natural leader on the pitch. Was hugely impressed with him in the role last year on occasions when Holmes was out of the team. 

A truly exceptional guy is Sir Andy. Even though he only played one season at Ayr you could see he had all the leadership qualities. He could organise our defence and was a solid defender himself.

All the best to him.

7 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

My mate who's a Rangers fan came to one game last season when Holmer was playing and said how can Andy Graham not be the captain. Think everyone's on the same page with that.

I don't agree, think Holmes as the most senior player was the right choice for captain last season, as I think Graham is this season.

I don't think the role of captain, and the selection process, is a big deal anyway. It doesn't have any real bearing on the overall success or failures of a team.

A senior player respected by his team mates, with a responsible head and someone who can approach the referee with diplomacy when needed. You'll always get 3 or 4 natural leaders in a dressing room.

7 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Looks like Jim is a big fan of the Colt teams in the cup so maybe won't be seeing some of "protest" by playing youth. Would still expect rotation.

I think he was being a bit diplomatic and his true opinion lay in his comments about the development league system. Agree he will tweak it.

Q and A is next Friday 6:30pm Station Bar.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

3 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

In the absence of Alloa's European exploits I'll support the Scottish teams.

only one of those teams is a "scottish " team, :rolleyes:

on that note . Bala Town play FC Vaduz in europe, ironic ...

Edited by whereismillar

only one of those teams is a "scottish " team, :rolleyes:

on that note . Bala Town play FC Vaduz in europe, ironic ...

The same team that knocked Falkirk out a few years back.

3 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Aren't we all Rangers and St Johnstone fans tonight? :P

Half right.

Wouldn't support RIFC if Scottish football depended on them.

I get up early and stay up late so I get as much time hating everything they are.

Come St Johnstone

3 minutes ago, laughing gravie said:

Half right.

Wouldn't support RIFC if Scottish football depended on them.

I get up early and stay up late so I get as much time hating everything they are.

Come St Johnstone

What a waste of a life- you need to get a hobby LG :whistle