The Alloa Athletic Thread

He can improve yes. The fact he got 11 league goals a level down last year against 8 part time teams and Ayr isn't a strong indication that he has though.
Two players managed 15 league goals in this division last year, Stephen Dobbie and Scott McDonald. Three managed it the year before, Dobbie, Jason Cummings and Nicky Clark. It's not easy to get 15 goals at this level. Greig Spence does not guarantee "at least 15 goals". He's a decent scorer though and may well do well.
As I pointed out earlier in the thread when there were rumours we were signing Greig, he scored four league goals last time he played for us in the Championship - with three of those being against part-time teams.

As I pointed out earlier in the thread when there were rumours we were signing Greig, he scored four league goals last time he played for us in the Championship - with three of those being against part-time teams.

The real question is how are Alloa going to manage to win 10/12 games this year. If we can find a way to spend time in our opponents penalty box I think Greig will do okay.

Any idea when the new strips are being revealed? I'd be more than happy to model one of them in a similar manner as the Ayr Utd kit launch. I imagine that they would sell out in minutes.

A week before the season kicks off.

Alright lads, I recorded a podcast with former Wasp Mark Docherty - CLICK

The whole podcast is brilliant (if I do say so myself!) but there's tonnes of good stuff about his first two seasons at the club. He talks very highly about his time at the Recs.

I think you might enjoy it.

18 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

It was.

They told our group booking to bolt.

Think it was all booked up even before the fixtures came out. Local businesses that have sponsored us for ages picked Falkirk and Dunfermline for their hospitality days if I remember correctly.

The whole podcast is brilliant (if I do say so myself!) but there's tonnes of good stuff about his first two seasons at the club. He talks very highly about his time at the Recs.
Listened to the first part yesterday. Really enjoyed it, mate. Sparky is a real character. That boxing story is a cracker.

Also listened to both parts of the Neil Parry one. Also thoroughly enjoyed that one. Comes across as a really decent big lad.

Keep them coming!

On 21/06/2018 at 12:15, Francesc Fabregas said:

As much as I like Sparky I'd have loved Graeme Holmes... Great listen though.

Enjoyable listen...clearly respectful if not in love with PH....looking forward to his reflections on the Rangers cup tie.

1 hour ago, printer said:

Another cracking listen.

That story about Simmy v. Hibs - I can just imagine it! emoji1.png

Yeah was a good wee story. Remember the game well with Eddie running the ball out of the park a couple of times.

There was another good Simmy story we heard from Pat Dunne the kitman. Down at Palmerston against Queens it was the Saturday game after Mikey Doyle missed the penalty against Aberdeen in the penalty shootout cup game midweek. Supporters were giving Doyley the love all first half to make him feel better. He was on our side that half, and "we all dream of a team of Mikey Doyles" went on for about 10 minutes. Whistle goes for the break and players go off. Doyley obviously quite pleased with the sing song, and Simmy says to him "what a f**kin sh*te team that would be" 

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

19 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Here's part two lads, crack on. A good 15-20 minutes or so about his second term at the Recs.

CLICK

Brilliant listen once again. Really interesting to hear about those early years of his career and the issues he had. I recall Stirling fans saying he was hopeless and even years later expressing surprise that he had gone on to do so well. Always worth remembering that footballers are just like the rest of us and that outside factors can have an impact on their performances. Great credit to Sparky for going on to have such a fine career. Fitness thing was interesting too, think you could see him getting fitter and also developing as a footballer over the years. 

Wee insight into the Lennon era too. On that note we could really do with some good signings soon. We were always going to need some really strong additions to just be competitive. As it stands, we are considerably weaker than the team that won the play-offs. Have to hope the gaffer has a few good signings lined up.