The Alloa Athletic Thread

22 minutes ago, pencils said:

See we've narrowed the pitch again!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Here we go  :lol:

It'll be seen as admitting defeat before we even start in some quarters, but you can see how less space to cover would be a leveller for a part-time side. It'll also be easier for my wee mum to see the action in the corners from the front of the stand, which is naturally the most important thing to consider. Just, please God, come up with a better solution than day-glo green paint over the existing markings. That was embarrassing.

7 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

Liar !

On 7 June 2018 at 19:24, Roger Thornhill said:

"We wont hear the end of this "last word larry" time to move on .."

You sound like my missus when she's not getting her way in an argument - she just changes the subject...

Anyway, I'll leave you guys in peace to talk about your stand  (unless Printer wants to reply to my post - then "Larry" might appear again!)

7 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

Liar !

I take it that you used a section of my post for humorous purposes as Printer responded to it. He didn't answer the questions in it granted  but I'm sure as we speak he'll be trying to think up a "witty" response - hopefully one that doesn't contain the words "shitebag" and "cowardly".    

Anyway, without doubt you and Printer are the Chuckle Brothers of this thread. 

8 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

I take it that you used a section of my post for humorous purposes as Printer responded to it. He didn't answer the questions in it granted  but I'm sure as we speak he'll be trying to think up a "witty" response - hopefully one that doesn't contain the words "shitebag" and "cowardly".    

Anyway, without doubt you and Printer are the Chuckle Brothers of this thread. 

only to you roger .. your negative comments on this thread are increasingly looking to be sour grapes and are bitter in content. 

Hello,

Sorry for jumping into your thread, but I did see the pitch narrowing story and thought it was interesting as the Lichties maybe the first club to experience it in the Betfred Cup.

When you did it before were you playing without wingers?  Did you see a vast change in how you set up your team from before and after?

It's an interesting test / theory and will keep an eye on how it works out for you.  

Although isn't the pitch at Glebe Park one of the narrowest in Scotland? That didn't help Brechin.

8 minutes ago, Smokie_Bacon_crisps said:

Hello,

Sorry for jumping into your thread, but I did see the pitch narrowing story and thought it was interesting as the Lichties maybe the first club to experience it in the Betfred Cup.

When you did it before were you playing without wingers?  Did you see a vast change in how you set up your team from before and after?

It's an interesting test / theory and will keep an eye on how it works out for you.  

Although isn't the pitch at Glebe Park one of the narrowest in Scotland? That didn't help Brechin.

no worries , the management failed to take into account that Jack ross took over at that time too! good point but we shall see..

31 minutes ago, whereismillar said:
33 minutes ago, Smokie_Bacon_crisps said:

Hello,

Brechins pitch width is officially 62.26 metres ,

A lot of our play in league 1 came from the wing , i hope it does not ave a negative affect..

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/scottish-spl-premier-and-football-league-clubs/scottish-championship/brechin-city-glebe-park.html

Edited by whereismillar

Personally I'm not a fan of the tiny pitch. Although we were bigger than the Nou Camp before now we're the smallest pitch I can find by a long way.

Only plus side is I'll have less ground to cover when I play on it. 

22 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

Brechins pitch width is officially 62.26 metres ,

A lot of our play in league 1 came from the wing , i hope it does not ave a negative affect..

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/scottish-spl-premier-and-football-league-clubs/scottish-championship/brechin-city-glebe-park.html

Think about how many of our goals really come from the wing. They are rarely bombing up the wing, hitting the byline and cutting back which draws the advantage in a wide park. They are often deep crosses.

On another point how many corners were delivered short last year? We win an excessive amount but the delivery was too often on top of the first man.  

12 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Think about how many of our goals really come from the wing. They are rarely bombing up the wing, hitting the byline and cutting back which draws the advantage in a wide park. They are often deep crosses.

On another point how many corners were delivered short last year? We win an excessive amount but the delivery was too often on top of the first man.  

play..and score 2 different things, i get you but i think our creativity will be stifled ..

Our league record on the narrow pitch was W1 D5 L3. Not bad considering we were in a patched state, and 4 points came in games against Hibs (w) and Rangers (d).

I guess the proof will be in the pudding- if it works it will be lauded if not, derided

It doesnt necessarily detriment the quality of football in every instance, and provided we set up to play to its strengths it may be effective.