The Alloa Athletic Thread

1 hour ago, Craigy said:

It wasn't really in doubt that he would have actually went to St Mirren anyway. It's a big step up from League 1 to the Premiership. 

Jim would've needed to give up his day job to go there and with St Mirren, a newly promoted team having expectations of reaching the top 6 is not exactly the most attractive proposition when it comes to keeping your job in 3 or 4 months time.

While I think about it too its been a big commitment from the players to stay here for next season. For the manager to jump ship after that I'm sure would be another factor in him staying.

Edited by LeodhasXD

14 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

No secret or surprise, but that’s David Galt confirmed from Queen’s.

Where was that confirmed?  A headache that I'll now need to look out for the website announcement to get it up on twitter. :thumbsdown

We really need a new website.

24 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Where was that confirmed?  A headache that I'll now need to look out for the website announcement to get it up on twitter. :thumbsdown

We really need a new website.

Goodwin was on Rocksport Radio last night and mentioned that he had signed Galt.

https://twitter.com/GlobalWaspsNews

3 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

IMG_3574.jpg
Right then boys...
Go for it, opinions please!!!

Probably going to be unpopular here but: past it. Although a wealth of experience so a not bad signing for you. Was shown up for pace and fitness against Dundee United in the cup and generally part of a slow defense before that which probably contributed to our bad start to the season. He's a different player from the one who won us promotion all those years ago.

IMG_3574.thumb.jpg.f1d7ea3fba7440ae6e849c1545453be1.jpg

Right then boys...

Was a key player in our promotion to the Championship last time and couple of years staying there.

As comfortable at left back or centre back. Very strong and good in the air. Very left-footed.

If you are getting the player he was with us the first time then you have an excellent, competitive defender.

We didn't see enough of him second time to know how close he is now to that player, even before the bad injury he had.

I hope and think he'll do well for you.

IMG_3574.thumb.jpg.f1d7ea3fba7440ae6e849c1545453be1.jpg

Right then boys...

If you could dig out the footage from the Alloa v Forfar play-off second leg from a couple of years back you would see a tackle from Meggatt that could not be beaten. A truly memorable moment that was as important as the winning goal he scored that day. I thought he looked fit in the short periods he played at the tail end of the season, I think you have secured a great player. I hope he does really well for EF.

59 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Probably going to be unpopular here but: past it. Although a wealth of experience so a not bad signing for you. Was shown up for pace and fitness against Dundee United in the cup and generally part of a slow defense before that which probably contributed to our bad start to the season. He's a different player from the one who won us promotion all those years ago.

The whole team made an indifferent start to the season. Unfortunately for Daryll, serious injury meant he was then unable to make much of contribution for the rest of the campaign. Had he been fit I'm sure he would have been an important player. Only question I'd have is that he didn't play much at Dundee and his spell at Ayr seemed to be mixed, followed by a year injured with us. He'll need to get a really good run of games under his belt. If he does I'm sure he'll do well, he is still at a good age and has shown his class on many occasions before. I'd have been happy with a fit Daryll Meggatt in our squad next season. 

Thought Jim spoke very well in his radio interview with some interesting wee nuggets on last season and his plans for the months to come. Hopefully he can persuade a few of these targets to sign up as his recruitment over the next few weeks will be crucial if we are to be competitive in the Championship. 

2 hours ago, King Kebab said:

IMG_3574.jpg
Right then boys...

Goes without saying he was brilliant for us in his first spell, second ruined through injury. In a different place career wise to his first spell, really needs a run of games again. If he gets that as part of a settled back line, more than capable of being a key player.

46 minutes ago, Waspie said:

The whole team made an indifferent start to the season. Unfortunately for Daryll, serious injury meant he was then unable to make much of contribution for the rest of the campaign. Had he been fit I'm sure he would have been an important player. Only question I'd have is that he didn't play much at Dundee and his spell at Ayr seemed to be mixed, followed by a year injured with us. He'll need to get a really good run of games under his belt. If he does I'm sure he'll do well, he is still at a good age and has shown his class on many occasions before. I'd have been happy with a fit Daryll Meggatt in our squad next season. 

Thought Jim spoke very well in his radio interview with some interesting wee nuggets on last season and his plans for the months to come. Hopefully he can persuade a few of these targets to sign up as his recruitment over the next few weeks will be crucial if we are to be competitive in the Championship. 

As we've all stated, jury still out based on last summers recruitment. Significantly rescued by his January ventures into the loan market, and with that years experience under his belt we should do a lot better in the transfer market.

I'd have been happy with a fit Daryll Meggatt in our squad next season. 

A fit Daryll with the same hunger, attitude and mobility as he had during his first spell, then definitely. That Daryll has nothing to prove about his ability to cut it at Championship level.

I think the big question is does that player still exist.

20 hours ago, King Kebab said:

IMG_3574.jpg
Right then boys...

You should be very happy with this. Although, I said the same about Ben Gordon.

Speaking of whom, what's he up to these days?

You should be very happy with this. Although, I said the same about Ben Gordon.
Speaking of whom, what's he up to these days?

Conning somebody else somewhere, sitting with his feet up, smoking cigars and knocking back a cold one while his lesser talented twin brother fulfils his football contracts - I would imagine!!!