The Alloa Athletic Thread

Anyone know much about Callum Crane? We apparently signed him on a PCA a few months ago when we were preparing for the Championship - assuming he won't be a Premiership level player

I heard he had signed a pre-contract with you too, then heard the contrary later. Not sure what the script is - both were rumours! Cal is a great wee player though. Very good going forward and adds a real threat. I agree, maybe premiership is a bit of a jump for him just now. A season in the Championship would be good for him, however, wouldn’t put it past him if he did sign for you to compete and put in some solid performances. Don’t see him getting forward as much if he did sign for you in that league, need to rely on his defending a lot more which maybe isn’t as strong.

14 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Anyone know much about Callum Crane? We apparently signed him on a PCA a few months ago when we were preparing for the Championship - assuming he won't be a Premiership level player

In my opinion very similar in ability to Calum Waters who we had at left back the season before last .  Like Crane looked very good and earned a move to Kilmarnock  but noticed he only made 5 appearances last season for Killie and was punted on-loan to Sligo Rovers. 

As i said very similar style and statue but Waters maybe slightly more effective, so if he struggled in the Premiership i would imagine like Kieren said Crane might not be ready for the step up to the top league. 

In my opinion very similar in ability to Calum Waters who we had at left back the season before last .  Like Crane looked very good and earned a move to Kilmarnock  but noticed he only made 5 appearances last season for Killie and was punted on-loan to Sligo Rovers. 
As i said very similar style and statue but Waters maybe slightly more effective, so if he struggled in the Premiership i would imagine like Kieren said Crane might not be ready for the step up to the top league. 
Waters that moved to Killie was it not??

5 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:
6 minutes ago, Craigy said:

Waters that moved to Killie was it not??

Aye, is that not what i have said??

9 hours ago, The Moonster said:

If you'd watched him this season you really wouldn't be surprised. Had some good moments but he's largely a complete bombscare. Some decent performances in the play offs appear to be clouding my fellow Sons fans minds but the first 6 months of the season we were basically showing up to games wondering how many he'd throw in. 

Really not fussed he's gone to Airdrie.

That's mental. Got to wonder what happened that made him regress so drastically.

Clearly none of our quality players should ever leave the Recs. Too risky.

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

It will be worth it when Jim returns home with the signatures of Juan Calderón and Javier Payo.

Answering a "come and get me" plea from Jamie Stevenson to rescue him from his Mallorca hell, back to the hallowed glory of The Recs.

52 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

That's mental. Got to wonder what happened that made him regress so drastically.

Clearly none of our quality players should ever leave the Recs. Too risky.

I was one of Gallacher's bigger fans, but to be honest he looked like an absolutely broken shell of a 'keeper at first.

He strikes me as very much a confidence player, and that was obviously shattered by his disastrous time at St Mirren, and then six months of kicking his heels at Hibs. Early on it was evident (well to me anyway) that he had the attributes to be a very decent goalkeeper, but the more time you gave him, the more mistakes he made. He could make an instinctive close range stunner of a stop with ease, but hang a cross into the air and he'd panic and make a complete mess of things. It was as if he thought about everything that could go wrong, and then proceeded to make every mistake he could think of.

His Dad (I think) and Mrs were sat behind me early in the season, and almost every time he had to make a proactive decision they just about went crazy ("Aw Jesus Christ, Scott, what are you doing"). He took a few rollockings from Andy Dowie in that time for his hesitancy, and our notoriously hard to please with goalkeepers home support got on his back.

Gradually he started to iron out the errors, but you always felt that he had a howler in him.

Fortunately a smashing performance against TNS paved the way for a solid end to the season. He still made a few mistakes, but his decision making was more proactive, and his shot-stopping was outstanding at times.

I'll decide when I know who his replacement is whether or not I'm sad to see him go. If it's someone like Robbie Thomson then Stevie's a genius, if it's someone like (and I know he's signed for Airdrie, which is why I'm using him as an example) David Hutton, then I think Gallacher will look better and better by the week.

Official website tonight stated that Parry, Wilson, Taggart, Graham, Cawley, Hetherington, Robertson and Flannigan have all agreed terms for the new season.
And that Meggat has been released.

Good news on the signings even though they were expected. With Trouten also signed up that's the nucleus of the squad sorted. Now it's about adding as much quality as Jim can persuade to come along for the ride.

Shame about Daryl; we all know what he can do.

Interesting move for Jack Ross. You'd think it would take a total disaster to avoid Sunderland doing well in League One next season, so that might make it a more attractive move than if they'd still been in the Championship. Best of luck to him.

Oh f**k...this means the pandas will be sniffing around Jim Goodwin, doesn't it?  :o

What's the story with Meggatt?

I've always rated him and wouldn't mind us taking a punt on him now that we're in League One.[emoji22]

An injury filled season, unfortunately. Once he got back fully training we had brought in Jamie McCart who was a great player for us and Meggatt couldn’t get a look in. A real shame. Thought we might keep him with McKeown and McCart moving on. He’d do a brilliant job for you no doubt!

An injury filled season, unfortunately. Once he got back fully training we had brought in Jamie McCart who was a great player for us and Meggatt couldn’t get a look in. A real shame. Thought we might keep him withMcKeown and McCart moving on. He do a brilliant job for you no doubt!

Yeah I'd be happy to sign him up, fitness dependant obviously. What was his injury?

Frank McKeown is another I'd look at, decent enough defender, although I suspect most of our 'centre-half eggs' will be firmly in the Craig Barr basket at present.

4 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Shame about Daryl; we all know what he can do.

Interesting move for Jack Ross. You'd think it would take a total disaster to avoid Sunderland doing well in League One next season, so that might make it a more attractive move than if they'd still been in the Championship. Best of luck to him.

Oh f**k...this means the pandas will be sniffing around Jim Goodwin, doesn't it?  :o

Reckon this is a great move for Jack. He has done brilliantly to get St Mirren to the Premier but it will be a tough gig next season. Sunderland have been a basket case but with a new regime there is a chance of stability. They should never be in League 1 and will have a brilliant budget for that level. The potential is there to win the title and with the momentum and crowd behind you to go right through the Championship as well. Clearly been a bad atmosphere around the place but there is no better man than Jack Ross to change that and quickly. Think Jack will be a great success there.

Bound to be speculation about Goody and if he was offered it he'd be mad not to go. I don't think it will happen though, Goodwin did a fantastic job at the end of the season but he is no Jack Ross and still very much learning his trade. Would be a poor appointment for St Mirren at this stage, would expect them to go for somebody with more experience. 

Edited by Waspie