The Alloa Athletic Thread

39 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

not optomistic. we have the players but not the form. and i think we struggle to get the right blend sometimes , quite happy if we do a "Brechin" though...

We wouldn't go a season without winning a game...

We do have a really decent group of players and if we can get them at their best we will have a good chance. Noone will relish going up against us.

Agreed.

I think the playoffs could be very tight. Each team (assuming it's the four currently filling the places) has a decent chance and will genuinely believe they can win a place in next season's championship.

The manager will need to start his best side though, not something he's done consistently recently, which for me means Wee Kev ahead of Smith (despite him showing improvement recently).

We could also do with Ross Stewart getting back among the goals. If he can do that, then with Kirky beside him we will cause any of the other teams problems.

Some weeks we look really good and some weeks a bit lethargic........ it really depends what team turns up on the  day

We've been more consistent against the better teams in the league. I think those games suit the team we have - we are solid throughout the pitch with a limited amount of flair.

• 2 weeks later...

Just about got myself together now after pmsl at the Ayr fans meltdown on the game thread and some of the choice comments picked up on the highlights.  Hope the guy is okay though because I thought he was having a heart attack at the missed penalty lol.

Well then it looks like we will be going up against Dumbarton as I can't see Arbroath losing at QP.  I was speaking to a friend who was at the Dumbarton game on Saturday and he said they were awful and fully expects Alloa to win the tie comfortably.  If we keep up the spirit and determination we showed against Ayr then we could indeed do a Brechin (without the no win game season LeodhasXD).  Crucial that we do not lose the game v Raith so that confidence remains high.

1 hour ago, Not a Bee said:

Just about got myself together now after pmsl at the Ayr fans meltdown on the game thread and some of the choice comments picked up on the highlights.  Hope the guy is okay though because I thought he was having a heart attack at the missed penalty lol.

Well then it looks like we will be going up against Dumbarton as I can't see Arbroath losing at QP.  I was speaking to a friend who was at the Dumbarton game on Saturday and he said they were awful and fully expects Alloa to win the tie comfortably.  If we keep up the spirit and determination we showed against Ayr then we could indeed do a Brechin (without the no win game season LeodhasXD).  Crucial that we do not lose the game v Raith so that confidence remains high.

Can't say I'm looking forward to playing you boys and that's before I even consider the number of ex-Sons that might well just be gagging to get it round the gaffer who released them.

We're an extremely weird team this season, capable of beating St Mirren, Dundee United and Inverness and being competitive against just about everyone else - that was until we lost in the Challenge cup final. Since then our heads have been down, we've been shipping goals and the towel would've been thrown in twice in the last 3 weeks had the option been available to us. We've been ravaged by injuries all year and I think we've named the same 11 in a row twice. Over the last couple of weeks I've had a suspicion that we're resting some of our less fit players in preparation for the play-offs but match sharpness then becomes an issue. Players like Mark Stewart, Froxylias, Liam Burt and Tom Walsh are all very, very capable of hurting/beating the teams in this league but we just can't seem to get them all fit, motivated and on the park at the same time.  We now need to essentially go unbeaten over 4 games to save our skin and that's something we haven't achieved all season. 

My heart says we can do it but my head is screaming at me "shut up, you complete mental case". If the team that beat Dundee United a few weeks ago shows up then you'll have a game on your hands, if the team from Saturday shows up you'll coast into the final with cigars out. If I were to bet on it though, I'd have Alloa and Arbroath in the final.

We are much in the same boat we have players capable of working wonders as the Ayr game showed. We have had our fair few games this season that we’ve played more than disappointing.

Play-offs this year is of a much higher standard than last years and although I’ll never write us off it’ll be very hard. Dumbarton always seemed to have the upper hand over us but that swung near the end of our championship campaign. The ex-sons in Taggs, Graham, Flemming, Kev & Kirky are probably some of our best players. If they do raise their game that’d be smashing as the level most of them have played this season has been terrific - Taggs, Fleming and Andy Graham especially.

21 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

We are much in the same boat we have players capable of working wonders as the Ayr game showed. We have had our fair few games this season that we’ve played more than disappointing.

Play-offs this year is of a much higher standard than last years and although I’ll never write us off it’ll be very hard. Dumbarton always seemed to have the upper hand over us but that swung near the end of our championship campaign. The ex-sons in Taggs, Graham, Flemming, Kev & Kirky are probably some of our best players. If they do raise their game that’d be smashing as the level most of them have played this season has been terrific - Taggs, Fleming and Andy Graham especially.

Honestly if Garry Fleming scores the goal(s) that relegate us the suicide rate in Dumbarton will go through the roof.  I'm close to tears just thinking about the announcer calling his name after he's ripped one into the top bin.

If you do manage to not lose at Raith I will be eternally grateful and Alloa will officially be my second team!

1 hour ago, BigMartyn86 said:
4 hours ago, fruitbowl said:
Looks much better than the other Central Park

Tidy wee ground they have and a good artificial surface. Also an ideal location for both teams. It would be nice to see a few Wasps come along and cheer us on.

I'm away that weekend on post season break but good luck to you and the guys.  Bring the Cup home.

I'm away that weekend on post season break but good luck to you and the guys.  Bring the Cup home.

Cheers. We will do our best and are up for it but we are also under no illusions of how hard it will be. St Johnstone are one of the best teams about just now. British Cup runners up and Scottish league winners last year and currently sitting top of the Scottish league, in the semi finals of the British Cup and (obviously) the final of the Scottish Cup this year.

Much like the first team this year we have the habit of coming back from behind and pulling off results but also like the first team we are also capable of having days where we just don't get going. Got to be in it to win it though [emoji219]

PLAY-OFF DATES CONFIRMED

Tuesday 24th April 2018

THE SPFL today confirmed dates and kick-off times for the Championship play-offs.

Wednesday 2 May, 2018
Championship play-off semi-finals, 1st leg
3rd in League 1 v 2nd in League 1
4th in League 1 v 9th in Championship
Kick-off 7.45pm

Saturday 5 May, 2018
Championship play-off semi-finals, 2nd leg
9th in Championship v 4th in League 1
2nd in League 1 v 3rd in League 1
Kick-off 3.00pm

Wednesday 9 May, 2018
Championship play-off final, 1st leg
Live on BBC ALBA, kick-off 7.45pm

Sunday 13 May, 2018
Championship play-off final, 2nd leg
Live on BBC ALBA, kick-off 4.10pm

12 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

If you do manage to not lose at Raith I will be eternally grateful and Alloa will officially be my second team!

Whatever happens this Saturday, Alloa are definitely going to be someone's new second team this weekend!