The Alloa Athletic Thread

19 hours ago, English Wasp said:

This is great news, particularly if Crane is to be out for a while (don't know how serious his injury was last week) and Meggatt still a way off returning.

What defensive position does he play? Left back, right back, central?

A lot more healthy attacking wise. You’ve got Kirky, Cawley & Flannigan all experienced and top quality. The youngster on loan, PJ & Ross Stewart, have done great. Renton will probably play in front of three of those five, which will be hard to pick.

Think game time for the likes of Malcolm and Martin may be extremely limited this second half.

Makes me feel a bit sick that this needs to be brought up at all, but for those who don't know, the SPFL are currently trying to persuade member clubs to admit Rangers and Celtic 'B' teams into the league. There's been no consultation with the fans at all, as they're hoping to get this pushed through with the most meagre of bribes possible. The proposal document circulated around the clubs can be found here; seriously, give that a read, it's mind-melting stuff from the people employed to represent all of our clubs.

A few clubs have come out as against the move so far, but it's important that we let ours know the depth of opposition to this; I'll certainly be done with Scottish football if this happens. Mike Mulraney can be contacted @mikemulraney1 on Twitter, and the club's main email address is fcadmin@alloaathletic.co.uk. If you don't get a response, try again, as my experience has been that there's about a 50% chance of emails being acknowledged  <_<

You'll find more information, as well as trenchant opinion, in these threads:

Makes me feel a bit sick that this needs to be brought up at all, but for those who don't know, the SPFL are currently trying to persuade member clubs to admit Rangers and Celtic 'B' teams into the league. There's been no consultation with the fans at all, as they're hoping to get this pushed through with the most meagre of bribes possible. The proposal document circulated around the clubs can be found here; seriously, give that a read, it's mind-melting stuff from the people employed to represent all of our clubs.
A few clubs have come out as against the move so far, but it's important that we let ours know the depth of opposition to this; I'll certainly be done with Scottish football if this happens. Mike Mulraney can be contacted @mikemulraney1 on Twitter, and the club's main email address is fcadmin@alloaathletic.co.uk. If you don't get a response, try again, as my experience has been that there's about a 50% chance of emails being acknowledged  <_> You'll find more information, as well as trenchant opinion, in these threads:
[/url]  

Has Mike Mulraney made his position public?

22 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I tried asking a while back but, to be fair, I didn't ask his personal opinion.

Volunteers?  :P

Broadly the clubs that got drawn against Colt teams in the Irn Bru Cup had absolutely naff crowds. No one was interested. If you can expect 4+ games a season where you lose revenue due to fans being uninterested in the fixture then the money you need to receive from the colt teams needs to be over and above what you lose.  If financially it adds up then I reckon teams will back it but... in the end, personally, I can see no other way that this will devalue the lower leagues firstly and reduce the number of fans that go to games. 

This is without taking into account that the best youngsters won't be loaned out because their parent club wants to hold onto them. The overall product that's on show at smaller clubs is likely going to be worse. Read the piece in Nutmeg about how German B teams could get 5/6 first team players on international break and thump a team and the next week revert to youngsters and get annihilated. Surely integrity of the competition is tarnished by that kind of thing.  Imagine saying if Celtic hadn't sent Scott Sinclair, Moussa Dembele, Callum McGregor to play us  we might have won the league. 

I hadn't even really thought about the variance in quality on the pitch TBH; I'm too ideologically against it to have thought that far ahead. Yet another reason to fear this.

Thankfully, unless somebody has another ace card to play, it really doesn't look like the finances are going to make sense. But the clubs need to know we're watching them.

2 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Broadly the clubs that got drawn against Colt teams in the Irn Bru Cup had absolutely naff crowds. No one was interested. If you can expect 4+ games a season where you lose revenue due to fans being uninterested in the fixture then the money you need to receive from the colt teams needs to be over and above what you lose.  If financially it adds up then I reckon teams will back it but... in the end, personally, I can see no other way that this will devalue the lower leagues firstly and reduce the number of fans that go to games. 

This is without taking into account that the best youngsters won't be loaned out because their parent club wants to hold onto them. The overall product that's on show at smaller clubs is likely going to be worse. Read the piece in Nutmeg about how German B teams could get 5/6 first team players on international break and thump a team and the next week revert to youngsters and get annihilated. Surely integrity of the competition is tarnished by that kind of thing.  Imagine saying if Celtic hadn't sent Scott Sinclair, Moussa Dembele, Callum McGregor to play us  we might have won the league. 

Whilst i'm 100% against colt teams in the league and would never attend an Alloa vs Colt team league fixture the sending players thing won't be allowed if this goes through and the two teams ie Celtic and Celtic Colts would be treated as two different sides so moves would need to be put through as permanent transfer or loan during transfer windows.

20 minutes ago, JakeSAFC said:

Mike Mulraney is for it, 100%. Make sure he has no option but to vote against it. Email the club and threaten to boycott to make sure he doesn't go against your wishes.

So where do you get the 100% for it?