The Alloa Athletic Thread

Which shows that getting on the players backs during games will only knock their confidence even more and won't help in the slightest then, no?

Absolutely. I don’t shout abuse at players and manager during the game unlike a few I can think of but I meant that I came on here and said he wasn’t up to it. To be fair, we’d got humped 5-2 at home & he gave the viccy to the home fans, I do think a few angry posts were justified.

5 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Absolutely. I don’t shout abuse at players and manager during the game unlike a few I can think of but I meant that I came on here and said he wasn’t up to it. To be fair, we’d got humped 5-2 at home & he gave the viccy to the home fans, I do think a few angry posts were justified.

Being down in Suffolk I can't comment what went on that game as I wasn't there but if I was at work and there were a group of guys watching me and hurling abuse at me I sure as f**k would make do more than flip them off. Its alright using arguments like they pay their money and can have an opinion but if you give it out you have to be able to take it back aswell. Nature of the beast.

Being down in Suffolk I can't comment what went on that game as I wasn't there but if I was at work and there were a group of guys watching me and hurling abuse at me I sure as f**k would make do more than flip them off. Its alright using arguments like they pay their money and can have an opinion but if you give it out you have to be able to take it back aswell. Nature of the beast.

Aye, I get that side of the argument. All heat in the moment stuff of course. I just felt at the time, the way he & everyone had been playing he should’ve just kept his head down and done his talking on the pitch. Like Kris Renton had done the week previous by scoring the winner & having his wee dig at the fans in celebration.

All in the past now though! Glad we’re getting the best out of him.

The Fleming argument in a way adds weight to Waspies post on the previous page about stumbling on a winning formula- when referring to an individual anyway.

I didn't think we were playing him in a position to get the best out of him earlier in the season. For whatever reason. Playing in a more attacking midfield role was asking too much of him for me. I could see this as far back as the pre season friendly vs St Mirren. Manager stuck with it though, which led partly (in my view) to the incident with a supporter- frustration on both sides there.

We were also lacking balance in the midfield throughout the first quarter (as previously mentioned so won't go on like a broken record). I think moving Fleming deeper has addressed this to some degree and I'm glad to see him doing well. Certainly was thrusted upon us though due to the injury situation, rather than completely being down to a masterstroke. If it was the plan all along, there was plenty scope to do so earlier- at some point during the first quarter of the season.

I'm not saying I totally agree with that. The manager knows far more about the players strengths and weaknesses through training sessions and spending time with the players. But still something to consider.

I "privately " berated fleming for his first few appearances and i liked his reaction to the fans who were givin it out to him , why you ask because in a fight or flight situation he has responded

positively ever since.., a lot of it could be down to his fitness improving ? he does look a bit more mobile now ? he is showing some of the form that the sons fans liked so much it seems 

Also think callum crane is playing very well too as is most of the team now ,

tags is solid at the back though i miss his mazy runs up the right..

and robertson is a better option than Mckeown  IMO...

His fitness has probably improved a bit but I think it's key that he's not wasting as much energy now. Can be a bit more selective when he sits and when he goes. 

Don't think he would play Frank right back unless in a 3. He should be back in contention shortly but doubt we will change what we have right now unless there's an injury. Agree Crane looks really comfortable in past few games along with the rest of the back 4.

The Fleming argument in a way adds weight to Waspies post on the previous page about stumbling on a winning formula- when referring to an individual anyway.
I didn't think we were playing him in a position to get the best out of him earlier in the season. For whatever reason. Playing in a more attacking midfield role was asking too much of him for me. I could see this as far back as the pre season friendly vs St Mirren. Manager stuck with it though, which led partly (in my view) to the incident with a supporter- frustration on both sides there.
We were also lacking balance in the midfield throughout the first quarter (as previously mentioned so won't go on like a broken record). I think moving Fleming deeper has addressed this to some degree and I'm glad to see him doing well. Certainly was thrusted upon us though due to the injury situation, rather than completely being down to a masterstroke. If it was the plan all along, there was plenty scope to do so earlier- at some point during the first quarter of the season.
I'm not saying I totally agree with that. The manager knows far more about the players strengths and weaknesses through training sessions and spending time with the players. But still something to consider.

I agree with all of this, but I would argue also that putting Fleming into the DM role wasn't the only option Goodwin had when he was deciding how to set the team up when Meggat and McKweon were out. In fact in that first game there was quite a bit of incredulity about Fleming playing that position.

Fleming has settled into the role in DM better than expected with his form at the start of the season.  I think our next two league games against the Ayr and Raith will tell how good he is in this position as most of teams are of a lesser standard when he played in the role.  I still personally feel he is not 100% fit and lacks the legs for 90 minutes of football now of days. I would also never compare him to Simmy both totally different types of individuals.

With regards his outburst at the Albion Rovers game this a personnel  view this was a situation of his own making as a throw a way comment made  by a few individuals (not Myself ) about him not tracking back after losing the ball was made. Fleming  then proceed to throw the toys out the pram in dramatic style. It’s was not like there was 100’s of baying individuals shouting at him from side-lines. This incident has appeared to have alienated him from a large number of the fans. It was noticeable after the last home game he once again failed to applaud the fans at the end of the game.    

3 hours ago, printer said:

I agree with all of this, but I would argue also that putting Fleming into the DM role wasn't the only option Goodwin had when he was deciding how to set the team up when Meggat and McKweon were out. In fact in that first game there was quite a bit of incredulity about Fleming playing that position.

That's a fair point, it wasn't the only option and you can argue it was a bold and innovative change that has been a great success so far.  I just see it as another example of Goodwin's trial and error style which we have seen pretty much since the start of his reign with changes on a frequent basis. 

I'm also a little wary of him declaring that a change of tactics to deal with Cliftonhill was a masterstroke. This was also the reason we changed our team and style for Brechin in the play-off first leg. Rather than going there and playing to our strengths -  the way that had seen us finish well clear of Brechin over the season  -  we dropped our top scorer and played on Brechin's terms. That went a long way to costing us promotion. It was also the last game of football that Brechin won. A big own goal. Preparing for the conditions is important, certainly, but I would really question apparently telling players before a game that they won't be able to play their own style. The danger is that it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Couldn't help but think back to Hartley's team turning in an absolutely fantastic footballing performance on that same Glebe Park pitch in a play-off, playing the way they had played all season and with faith in themselves to do it whatever the surface was like. 

Wonder if he will have a masterplan to deal with Eddie and Longworth on Saturday.

On 13/11/2017 at 16:44, David W said:

Danny Lennon just appointed at Clyde. Obviously didn't end well for him at Alloa. General thoughts?

Nothing really against Danny, but the Clyde threads make for some fine reading when the expected title challenge turns into a relegation battle  :P

Poor first half today but much better after the break. Got to say I thought Fleming was excellent for us today.  I was expecting the purple pests to be better than that. Pressed us well in the first half but we moved through the  gears after the interval and  was game over. 

Another unconvincing win I thought. We were all over the place in the first half and 1-0 flattered us at the break. Second half was better but we still didn't create that much other than the goals. Malcolm did very well for both. Very fortunate not to concede at the end too and Stenny would have deserved the replay. 

I'd still be looking to get Taggart back to RB and Robbo into midfield asap. 

On 11/15/2017 at 17:16, Wilky1878 said:

Which shows that getting on the players backs during games will only knock their confidence even more and won't help in the slightest then, no?

On 11/15/2017 at 17:20, KierenAAFC said:

Just spotted this from 1909 :lol:

image.png.870991256562c6a56ca5c6b420ff4126.png

3 hours ago, Waspie said:

Just spotted this from 1909 :lol:

image.png.870991256562c6a56ca5c6b420ff4126.png

The club ought to get that printed up on one of the empty hoardings around the pitch, and put Jim in charge of driving the message into people's minds  :P