The Alloa Athletic Thread

I thought he did really well when he came in towards the end of the season and gave the team a lift and kept them up. Unfortunately he was a bit of a disaster thereafter. Headed off on holiday as the squad fell apart and replaced them with vastly inferior players. Then made poor use of the aforementioned players. After a disastrous run of results he left and Jack Ross then got much more out of the same group of than the guy who had signed them managed.

Lots of bluster but ultimately a poor manager IMO. But wish him all the best. 

Edited by Waspie

3 hours ago, Waspie said:

I thought he did really well when he came in towards the end of the season and gave the team a lift and kept them up. Unfortunately he was a bit of a disaster thereafter. Headed off on holiday as the squad fell apart and replaced them with vastly inferior players. Then made poor use of the aforementioned players. After a disastrous run of results he left and Jack Ross then got much more out of the same group of than the guy who had signed them managed.

Lots of bluster but ultimately a poor manager IMO. But wish him all the best. 

Think we had 4 players signed and Danny went on holiday.

Does anyone remember when the ref dropped a bit of paper and Danny dropped down and picked it up to read it and shouted something to the fans? What did he say again? I can only remember it being hilarious.

Anyone who used to stand underneath the  main stand on here?

Gave us a real lift when he came in which kept us in the Championship when we looked dead and buried. The end of that season (esp Forfar play off final second leg) was unforgettable stuff.

Knows his game, very clever tactically. His training sessions were always interesting but very intense. Has some "different" methods of motivating players.

At the time we had a strong starting 11, but it was a lot to ask the same guys to do the job week in week out against full time clubs and players. He addressed that by going for a bigger squad with a downturn in quality. Backfired, with some of the recruitment seeming really desperate and weak. 

Think we had 4 players signed and Danny went on holiday.
Does anyone remember when the ref dropped a bit of paper and Danny dropped down and picked it up to read it and shouted something to the fans? What did he say again? I can only remember it being hilarious.
Anyone who used to stand underneath the  main stand on here?

It was the stand side linesman who dropped the paper. Danny suggested it was his list for Santa and he was asking for a whistle.

On 13/11/2017 at 12:05, KierenAAFC said:

4 domestic loans I believe. Could be wrong! If Frank & Hoggan get back fit, we should be ok defensively. Robbo & Hetherington are players who can play in the back line too. I’m sure Fleming could too - stick him anywhere!

I had just seen that Fleming was in the Team of the Week this week and popped in to see if he had improved after the early season gloom around him - I take it he has improved?  After the comments at the start of the season I was worried he would fall out the game altogether, so I'm delighted to see some praise for him.

I also take it from the above quote that he's been shifted around position wise.  He was an absolute diamond for us in those situations, filling in at centre mid or out wide and always putting an incredible shift in - he even played centre half for a large chunk of one game. Not that I would recommend playing him there, but being versatile was always one of his strong points.

I had just seen that Fleming was in the Team of the Week this week and popped in to see if he had improved after the early season gloom around him - I take it he has improved?  After the comments at the start of the season I was worried he would fall out the game altogether, so I'm delighted to see some praise for him.

I also take it from the above quote that he's been shifted around position wise.  He was an absolute diamond for us in those situations, filling in at centre mid or out wide and always putting an incredible shift in - he even played centre half for a large chunk of one game. Not that I would recommend playing him there, but being versatile was always one of his strong points.

Aye, saw he was in TOTW too. To be fair I think they just pluck a random name from a team that’s done well & stick them in, I would have had a few in before him. However, he still played very well!

We’ve dropped him back into CDM due to injuries and he hasn’t been dropped since. It seems natural to him. It’s like Kris Boyd & Stephen Simmons rolled into one.

I was one who was very unimpressed with Fleming at the start but he’s winning me over. Playing without the fans, myself included, off his back seems to have done wonders too.

23 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Aye, saw he was in TOTW too. To be fair I think they just pluck a random name from a team that’s done well & stick them in, I would have had a few in before him. However, he still played very well!

We’ve dropped him back into CDM due to injuries and he hasn’t been dropped since. It seems natural to him. It’s like Kris Boyd & Stephen Simmons rolled into one.

I was one who was very unimpressed with Fleming at the start but he’s winning me over. Playing without the fans, myself included, off his back seems to have done wonders too.

Which shows that getting on the players backs during games will only knock their confidence even more and won't help in the slightest then, no?