The Alloa Athletic Thread

Good for him. He obviously won't be going straight into the first team, so hopefully they're prepared to spend some time getting him up to speed. Fingers crossed we don't see him back in a couple of years,like Daryll Meggatt (in the nicest way possible).

Can he play CB at all? I can't really see where he fits in because we have Greg Taylor and stevie smith for cover. Unless we play him at CB or even RB. 

Nope. LB or he has in the past for Dumbarton played a LM/LW role. I absolutely don't see him ever playing centre back - wait till you see the size of him. I'm sure he could play RB but his best asset is his left foot so I'd keep him on that side.

A player who has the quality very easily to walk into an SPL first Team outside of celtic and Aberdeen. A terrific player. An insider once told me that celtic moved him on due to the emergence of Kieran Tierney. Aberdeen were looking in January. 

Talk of him not making the first team I think are way off the mark. Never put a foot wrong last season. 

All the best and thanks calum. 

3 hours ago, printer said:

Even if they aren't good enough?

They will never be good enough if they don't get the experience and game time , IMO clubs like alloa should be bringing youth through , they dont get much chance unless they are the next big thing , budget is obviously smaller this time round and this makes sense on and off the park.

Edited by whereismillar

1 hour ago, Nadroj said:

Can he play CB at all? I can't really see where he fits in because we have Greg Taylor and stevie smith for cover. Unless we play him at CB or even RB. 

Killie are looking for competition and cover for Scotland Under-20 starlet Greg Taylor, who recently scored the winning goal against Brazil at the Tournoi tournament.

from the s*n

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Really poor for us in League 2. Was really looking forward to getting him too cause there was a bit of hype about the guy back when he was young.

Yeah, he left no impression at all at Stenhousemuir. Although he spent most of his time on the bench, he did nothing in his fleeting appearances to suggest he was worth keeping in League 2.

Best of luck to him, right enough.

Further proof that the strategy is to spend the reduced budget on a number of proven players and back them up with youth and the likes of Grant, a player who had potential as a youngster but who has lost his way a bit. He might do a job and clearly the manager feels he is worth a shot. I remember his dad from my young days as a glory hunting Aberdeen sympathiser. Welcome, Thomas.

There is a suggestion on that update on the club site that our business is done. Hopefully that's not the case and there is still room for another decent addition or two. 

Edited by Waspie

On 6/21/2017 at 17:47, Nadroj said:

Wait til you see him :lol: Callum at CB wouldn't work. Probably could play anywhere else though.

Terrific brain and positional awareness. His comfort in possession made him a real standout for me, very classy and composed. As I said, he looks about 12 but he uses his body strength with real intelligence even against the most physical opposing players. Just a player you watch and think- that boy knows what he's doing out there.

Doesn't fire up and down the flank in a blood rushing to the head fashion. Knows when the time is right, and has the patience and knowledge to know when to go and when to stay with ease.

Could potentially play in a more advanced role or even centre midfield. Just a good football player.

Kilmarnock have a great reputation for bringing on youngsters in recent years so it looks promising for him in terms of getting his opportunity. A great player for the club, should have won Player of the Year and wish him all the best. 

McCulloch watched him numerous times last season- I saw him at quite a few games.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

6 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

We all know that there are a few roasters in the crowd who'll be all over the youngsters at every opportunity, though. Not sure what good they think it does, but "I pay my money like everybody else, and have a right to make my opinion heard"  :rolleyes:

From what I've heard at various areas of the stadium it's the other way around, folk shouting that it's a travesty that some of the youngsters aren't on in place of a player.

It's fair enough to say the youngsters have had limited opportunity, but there's a reason for that. When you get a chance you have to prove that you're better than the guy you're replacing. Can't just play because you're a youngster.

The last young player I remember really taking their chance and establishing themself was Ross Philp about 6 or 7 years ago. And then he unfortunately picked up a terrible injury when he showed full commitment into a meaty challenge.

Surprising that we've signed Thomas Grant, and I think Waspie has summed up the logic.

I know he was highly rated at Falkirk and he certainly has ability. Of course it's about luch more than that. I think if we can get him involved high up the park then he will do OK.

Best thing to do is go along to the developement matches and watch the young boys signed up on pro contracts  and see what you think .Unfortunatly if they dont take their chances then they will go the way of Hynd and Wilson and as they will be on about £50 a week if your lucky then its a gamble maybe worth taking for alloa and also bulks the squad up.In some peoples eyes its better to have these 3 or 4 boys wages spent on 1 proven player .Me i always think you give the boys a chance  

9 minutes ago, holsten said:

Best thing to do is go along to the developement matches and watch the young boys signed up on pro contracts  and see what you think .Unfortunatly if they dont take their chances then they will go the way of Hynd and Wilson and as they will be on about £50 a week if your lucky then its a gamble maybe worth taking for alloa and also bulks the squad up.In some peoples eyes its better to have these 3 or 4 boys wages spent on 1 proven player .Me i always think you give the boys a chance  

I watch them regularly and I think Adam Martin and Ryan Hoggan as it stands are probably the only 2 who could perhaps step up- the manager has it right. But there's an "if" there. Declan McDonald has real potential for his age, but I'd put him a different bracket due to this. We shouldn't be watching the same players in development league for 3 seasons if they are to have any chance of making it in our first team.

I also think the 10 team league setup with 6 of the finishes either a promotion or relegation status is detrimental. It makes the end of season more exciting, that can't be disputed. But it means that youngsters more often than not need to make an instant impact on the team, and that can be difficult.

Mackin then? Seemed okay last season, was there much he showed last season that wasn't against us?

Seems as though he'll be playing hold up for Peters/Carrick/Mullen. We've 4 strikers now and looking at Todorov again so maybe seeing you lot in the playoffs if we're going balls out attack :D 

54 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I watch them regularly and I think Adam Martin and Ryan Hoggan as it stands are probably the only 2 who could perhaps step up- the manager has it right. But there's an "if" there. Declan McDonald has real potential for his age, but I'd put him a different bracket due to this. We shouldn't be watching the same players in development league for 3 seasons if they are to have any chance of making it in our first team.

I also think the 10 team league setup with 6 of the finishes either a promotion or relegation status is detrimental. It makes the end of season more exciting, that can't be disputed. But it means that youngsters more often than not need to make an instant impact on the team, and that can be difficult.

If that's the case FB, and if only Martin and Hoggan look ready then our squad looks really lightweight and threadbare, I sincerely hope not but could be a long season if we pick up any long term injuries etc.