The Alloa Athletic Thread

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 21:36, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Early shouts for Player of the Year? Chatting about it earlier.

I think so far I'd probably have Waters, who has played every game this season with real class and consistency. Could also make strong cases for Kirkpatrick and Spence though.

Holmes and Flannigan would also be up there, but perhaps haven't played enough games as it stands.

Lots of contenders though, which is always nice.

Same with potential goal of the season. Cawleys goal against Peterhead on the opening day probably still edges it for me, but off the top of my head Flannigan and Kirkpatrick scored a couple of crackers down at Stair Park, Spence at Bala, Kirkpatrick at Hampden and Cawley recently against East Fife. Stacks of good goals.

Waters, Spence and Graham would be my 3 main contenders this season. Kirkpatrick had a dip in form earlier in the season but seems to be back again, Cawley has really grown into this season aswell but I feel he had a slow start. Bearing in mind that I have missed a lot of games this season though so haven't seen the full picture.

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 23:52, falkirkwasp said:

What terrible moments, dont really recall him playing in any other role than the number 10.

Okay maybe terrible was a bit harsh, but there have certainly been games where he looked lost out wide, I guess my expectations are just very high! Sure he used to play out wide every game for JR?

From what I've seen of Kirky he is very much a confidence player. When all was well at the start of the season he was lashing in some magnificent strikes and looked like a guy capable of playing much higher up. After the departure of Jack Ross and the slump we had he didn't look like the same player at all, head down and the hits that were going to the top corner instead being sclaffed past the post. Have to admit I feared that might be that for the season, but great credit to him for finding his form again. Credit also to Jim Goodwin because man management is important here. I had a few slight concerns over some of the manager's selections (still don't agree with them all ;)) but he has the players playing for him and is getting results. Well worth his award and well done to him. 

Okay maybe terrible was a bit harsh, but there have certainly been games where he looked lost out wide, I guess my expectations are just very high! Sure he used to play out wide every game for JR?

I think he starts off in the number 10 role and will swap depending on how the game is going, thats how i see it anyway. I agree but wouldnt say terrible.

I think jim is close to finding his best 11, i dont think the team deserves to be changed too much atm, harsh on jamma and jase but its just the way it is i'm sure there will be chances for these guys.

4 hours ago, falkirkwasp said:

I think he starts off in the number 10 role and will swap depending on how the game is going, thats how i see it anyway. I agree but wouldnt say terrible.

I think jim is close to finding his best 11, i dont think the team deserves to be changed too much atm, harsh on jamma and jase but its just the way it is i'm sure there will be chances for these guys.

Certainly far more settled in his setup and effectiveness, regardless of who starts- always a wee switch here and there dependant on the opposition.

Jason will play his way back in- he always does.

From what I've seen of Kirky he is very much a confidence player. When all was well at the start of the season he was lashing in some magnificent strikes and looked like a guy capable of playing much higher up. After the departure of Jack Ross and the slump we had he didn't look like the same player at all, head down and the hits that were going to the top corner instead being sclaffed past the post. Have to admit I feared that might be that for the season, but great credit to him for finding his form again.

I think being the type of player Jordan is, he's always going to have dips in form. He pretty much goes for the attacking option all the time, very seldom the safe option.

He's my front runner for PotY at the moment.

Welcome to the forum Charlie.

Do cups mean anything to you?

19 minutes ago, BigMartyn86 said:

It speaks volumes about the strength of our squad this season that we've got a 20+ striker and some think a defender or midfielder is our player of the year. Andy Graham is my own player of the year.

I would second that. Spence is my no.2 though.

I barely remember McManus TBH, but that might just be me getting old. I know I saw him play plenty of times.

Probably fair to say that he wasn't part of a good side, and he didn't stand out one way or the other. I don't think his time with us would be any indicator of how well he'd do for Queens.