The Alloa Athletic Thread

5 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

The goals we are conceding in every one of the highlights I've done are really soft. Against Stenny the goal is very sloppy but we were ahead anyway.  Against Stranraer nobody marking Agnew for the first goal. A good tackle but the ref gives freekick against us. Gibson puts it top corner. Against Queen's park it was Jim going to sleep. Brechin - that penalty and Marr's touch for the second.

Now Saturday, my first instinct while on the camera was that the offside player had obstructed Marr so he couldn't challenge for the header. But looking at it again Andy Graham is too far away to cover the space in behind and Marr charges out instead of backtracking. We keep getting punished for every mistake.

Both Stranraer goals were beauties, cant really label either soft. Agnew did get some space but he shot early and brilliantly. Soft free kick for their second but could see why the referee gave the foul. Nothing you can do about Gibsons finish. 

For Saturdays goal you ideally want the centre backs a bit closer than they ended up, but its a wee mistake by Jason that Graham would have to be Nostradamus to anticipate.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

14 minutes ago, falkirkwasp said:

Totally agree with all of that, hard to pinpoint whats wrong but i think you have hit the nail on the head there, i think we have to improve our performances, maybe its time for jim to bring frank in for either or of the centre halfs to see what he can do.

Just the previous week at Stair Park it wasnt a great team performance (we played better on Saturday), but Marr and Graham were both excellent, best Alloa players by some distance. Neither deserve to be dropped on the basis of a hint of a mistake on Saturday. These 2 are among our most consistent performers week in week out.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

4 minutes ago, falkirkwasp said:

Cant comment as i wasnt at saturdays game, could argue jason was at fault for the goal against brechin a few weeks ago that cost us the game?

He was, but that was one of very few mistakes he has made down the years with Alloa. I'd agree with Father Barry, it would be extremely harsh to drop either Jason or Andy Graham. I can see McKeown coming into the team soon but more likely as part of a back three. I see he didn't play for Stranraer in their Scottish Cup tie last month so that's an option for the manager for the weekend.

19 minutes ago, Waspie said:

He was, but that was one of very few mistakes he has made down the years with Alloa. I'd agree with Father Barry, it would be extremely harsh to drop either Jason or Andy Graham. I can see McKeown coming into the team soon but more likely as part of a back three. I see he didn't play for Stranraer in their Scottish Cup tie last month so that's an option for the manager for the weekend.

I'm still waiting on seeing the Stranraer highlights but I'd like to see the 3-5-2  (although maybe that  was what didn't work against them).  Cawley as a winger doesn't do it for me I'd like to see him more central. Against Stenhousemuir he was my man of the match in that kind of system. Granted they've shipped 8 goals in our last two meetings so that doesn't say much for their defence.

And I wouldn't drop Marr or big Andy who is probably my favourite player right now just add Frank or Goodie if he's fit.

26 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

I'm still waiting on seeing the Stranraer highlights but I'd like to see the 3-5-2  (although maybe that  was what didn't work against them). 

Switched to back 4 immediately after going a goal down 20 mins in, so didn't play that way for long. We were just second best in the middle at times (first half in particular) by a good Stranraer performance, but made a good wee 10 minute spell in the second half count by getting the goals to win the game.

Some of Cawleys very best moments in an Alloa jersey over the years have come on the flanks, although that doesn't necessarily make it the best fit in the current team every week. It depends on what we do with the full backs and how often they are given licence to drive forward. I think overall Cawleys been in good form for a while now.

Turner was a fantastic player in his prime with us under Ian Murray and Jack Ross. In fact I'd go as far to say he was the best part-time player in the country (can opened, worms everywhere). When Jacko left however his form went down hill and injuries started really scuppering him. The move to Hamilton was a pretty big surprise given most of us weren't gutted to see him go. He struggled for gametime there, and doesn't seem to have done much at Cowden.

There is a fantastic player there, but with the amount of injuries and limited gametime he's had I suspect he's finished at a decent level.

Turner was a fantastic player in his prime with us under Ian Murray and Jack Ross. In fact I'd go as far to say he was the best part-time player in the country (can opened, worms everywhere). When Jacko left however his form went down hill and injuries started really scuppering him. The move to Hamilton was a pretty big surprise given most of us weren't gutted to see him go. He struggled for gametime there, and doesn't seem to have done much at Cowden.
There is a fantastic player there, but with the amount of injuries and limited gametime he's had I suspect he's finished at a decent level.

Must agree about him being the best part timer, not that i had seen him much but like i said what i did see of him i was impressed, could possibly be i was just putting it out there.