The Alloa Athletic Thread

He's obviously gash if dumbarton and ayr have allegedly turned him down, very bold of him thinking he'll get full time [emoji23][emoji23]

I have it on good authority that he we didn't even invite him to training. Given that Ayr have literally no strikers and haven't signed him I'd guess he must be in a pretty bad state. Probably better spending that money elsewhere.

I hope McKeown is a success with you guys by the way. There was always something I liked about him - and after the Clutha that respect went up even further. Good guy to have on board.

You've never seen him play? Sums it up. Guys a class act even if he's out of favour or not.

He's hardly a 'class act'.

He's a reasonably solid League 1 defender who does the basics and by all accounts has struggled a bit since his injury. He's absolutely not better than Andy Graham or Jason Marr so I can only assume he's going to be backup at Alloa.

20 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I can only assume he's going to be backup at Alloa.

Would imagine so and seeing how previously our backup was Pat Scullion there is no doubt he will be an improvement.

I have it on good authority that he we didn't even invite him to training. Given that Ayr have literally no strikers and haven't signed him I'd guess he must be in a pretty bad state. Probably better spending that money elsewhere.

I hope McKeown is a success with you guys by the way. There was always something I liked about him - and after the Clutha that respect went up even further. Good guy to have on board.

Just been rumours on here then, yeah i hope it works out, cant comment on him untill i've seen him play.

As previously stated he definitely is not a 'class act'.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

He's a reasonably solid League 1 defender who does the basics and by all accounts has struggled a bit since his injury. He's absolutely not better than Andy Graham or Jason Marr so I can only assume he's going to be backup at Alloa.

Maybe a wee bit harsh. He proved himself to be an excellent part-time CB and earned a move to a full-time Championship club. It was serious injury that killed that move rather than lack of ability. Career has stalled since, but if he gets back to previous form then he would almost certainly be in the same bracket as Marr and Graham as amongst the best part-time players in his position. "Class act" is subjective, of course, but I'd give that label to Marr and Graham :).

Edited by Waspie

We've been playing three centre halves recently with Goodwin in centre half for a lot of it so it could be possible he's been brought in to take that third centre half spot.

As someone has already mentioned I'd like to see more of Hoggan throughout the rest of the season but having another experienced player in our back line will hopefully be good.

I feel a striker is more of a priority than signing a centre half, think hoggy is good enough to slot in.

Possibly so, but I'd imagine Jim Goodwin is also looking in that area. As with most seasons I'd imagine more clubs than not are after strikers though and it's a hard market to recruit in through January.

If we're going to stick with 3 centre halves getting one in was probably a bit of a priority though aswell so we've recruited in one position we needed to and are probably biding our time to find the right striker that would be obtainable.

I've always admired Frank McKeown as a player and my respect for him increased in the wake of the Clutha tragedy. He gave a very touching interview in the Daily Record where he spoke his part in the rescue operation and, at the same time, used the piece as a means to punt Herbalife.

You have to respect that kind of goddamn hustle. Fair play to him.

Goodwin's interview today looks like he wants a striker but isn't too bothered if he doesn't get one. With Little training at Clyde, I'd take a punt on him. A risk but we're known to take risks in the transfer markets so if this works it could be brilliant for us.

Nice to read about Frank's good guy status. I'm sure he'll fit in well. Be interesting to see if he slots into that 3 at the back system and Goodwin takes a step back on Saturday.

If we're looking for a striker it would be one who can link the play just outside the penalty area. Greig is as instinctive a striker as youre going to get at this level. Probably looking for a guy who can come a bit deeper and keep things going. Not easy to find in January window though.

2 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

If we're looking for a striker it would be one who can link the play just outside the penalty area. Greig is as instinctive a striker as youre going to get at this level. Probably looking for a guy who can come a bit deeper and keep things going. 

Sounds like the perfect role for Little. Go get him, Jim.

20170113_171941.jpg