Barefoot Children in Scotland

Oddball topic this but I was trying to find out when an old photo of Leith had been taken and noticed that although the photo didn't seem to be mid-Victorian some of the boys, even the bigger ones, were barefoot.

P1_Queen_St_Cropped.jpg

I've tried to find out how long this practice lasted in Scotland before it was phased out but can't find any articles on it.

This photo from Dumbiedykes in Edinburgh was taken in 1895 and the whole class is barefoot.

0_groups_and_outings_milton_street_schoo

I found a link to an article which indicates that children were still barefoot in Edinburgh in 1908.

Does any social historian on here know any more on the subject and does any expert on photography have a good idea when that first photo would have been taken?

Not quite the same thing but I grew up abroad until coming to Scotland when I was 10 (1978). The first summer I was here me and my brother automatically took our shoes off and ran around barefoot, the following summer we didn't do it because we didn't want to be a pair of oddballs. Once you toughen up the skin its great, it was a bugger getting it there though.

first thought that came to my mind was they neds saying "Watch yer horseless carriage for you while you go to the Association Football match mister?"

My old history teacher used to say that when he started teaching in Dunfermline in the 1960s there were two brothers who would attend school on alternate days because they only had one pair of shoes between them.

first thought that came to my mind was they neds saying "Watch yer horseless carriage for you while you go to the Association Football match mister?"

My old history teacher used to say that when he started teaching in Dunfermline in the 1960s there were two brothers who would attend school on alternate days because they only had one pair of shoes between them.

009_034__dickcampbell_iancampbell_136819

Oddball topic this but I was trying to find out when an old photo of Leith had been taken and noticed that although the photo didn't seem to be mid-Victorian some of the boys, even the bigger ones, were barefoot.

P1_Queen_St_Cropped.jpg

I've tried to find out how long this practice lasted in Scotland before it was phased out but can't find any articles on it.

This photo from Dumbiedykes in Edinburgh was taken in 1895 and the whole class is barefoot.

I found a link to an article which indicates that children were still barefoot in Edinburgh in 1908.

Does any social historian on here know any more on the subject and does any expert on photography have a good idea when that first photo would have been taken?

See the guy in the top pic, with the paper under his arm?? That's you that is.

Grim. As well as the bare feet, half of them look disturbed or a bit abnormal. I wonder if they were even the poorest of the poor, seein as they were attending school.

That's sad as f**k. How badly must that wreck a kid's self resepct?

Archived