@ yes supporters: How will you react if the result is no

Mr Bairn

You are presenting your opinion as fact. Which specific top graduate recruiters in Scotland have confirmed they will definitely move out of the country following a Yes vote?

Ah there you are.

Can you provide evidence to support this extraordinary claim please?

"The majority of graduates in Scotland go to London or somewhere else in England."

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There has been a Scotland in the last three millenia.

This one, the last one and the one leading up to 1000.

So yes, it's been around for millenia.

If you want to be a smart arse you'll need to be much smarter than this.

When someone is born on 29th December 1991 you wouldn't say on 4th January 1993 "he's been around for years."

It really depends on the scale of the defeat. I just hope Westminster imposes hardship on us so the No voters realize how stupid they were to stick with the status quo.

Didn't read further than this so apologies if it's already been slated but this is such a stupid statement. I'll be voting Yes but if it goes the way of No, I hope to f**k that things get better. Hoping that more people will suffer because the vote didn't go your way is school playground stuff. I don't for a second believe things will get better (that's why I'm voting Yes) but I hope they do.

As for the original question, I'll be pretty gutted. I think it's a massive chance for us to shape our political and economic systems and to pass it up would be very disappointing in my view. It's damn near impossible to say if I'd leave or not. It would depend on what happened after a No vote, if we're to continue through a lifetime of austerity I'd seriously consider moving but I just don't know how I'd feel about that. I'm quite patriotic and I think I'd feel like I'd given up on my country but it's hard to say.

I'm quite patriotic and I think I'd feel like I'd given up on my country but it's hard to say.

In the event of a No vote, your country will have given up on you.

No voters. Shitebags to a man.

Once in a lifetime chance to go for something better than we have now. We'll bottle it and continue to blame the English for everything.

We're a shower of sad b*****ds and deserve everything we get.

If there is one good thing that will come out of a "no" vote, it may be that more people will see the Labour party in Scotland in a worse light. They've used the Scots as voting fodder for years and now they're telling us constantly that we aren't "big" enough to govern ourselves. I know that politicians are a sleekit breed and the Labour tossers will try to move on as if nothing's happened in the event of a "no" vote, but I think Scots will long-remember the way that the things that the likes of Lamont and Darling have said during the debate.

I can understand the push for "no" from the Tories, but from "Scottish" Labour.....pretty poor. They're in Westminster's pocket and it's quite pathetic to see.

For all that people might not like Alex Salmond, he is his own man, and he's standing up for the people he represents. Is Johann Lamont doing that? Or the Lib Dem guy?

I'm pleased that after 307 years we are finally going to have a vote on whether we want to be joined to England as one country. Obviously, I'll be disappointed if, having seen what it's like already, we decide that we would in fact like to continue that and pass up all the great opportunities independence offers, but I'll accept the result without too much of a problem. I'm fortunate in that I am not really personally affected in an economic sense either way, and I also quite like the rest of the UK.

Like a couple of others have said, it will affect the way I see Scotland. To me, we'd be confirming to the world that we are not a country, so I'd find it odd to see a Scottish 'national' football team out there, as well as quite a few other activities that would seem to suggest that we see ourselves as a nation in the same way Ireland does, for example. I imagine we'll get the piss taken out of us if and when we do. I'll permit myself a wry smile at all the unionist kilt-wearers on Burns Night.

I'd hope there could be a push for more powers for the Scottish Parliament, maybe as part of wider UK reforms. I think it would be great to see more powers going to the English regions, so I hope our debate stimulates that possibility, too.

Like a couple of others have said, it will affect the way I see Scotland. To me, we'd be confirming to the world that we are not a country, so I'd find it odd to see a Scottish 'national' football team out .

You don't seem to understand the difference between "country" and "nation". Or more accurately "sovereign state" and "nation", which are two completely different things.

I'll permit myself a wry smile at all the unionist kilt-wearers on Burns Night.

Why?

You don't seem to understand the difference between "country" and "nation". Or more accurately "sovereign state" and "nation", which are two completely different things.

Says the proud Northern Brit. :lol:

I understand the differences, but I don't think that is how the world sees it, other than in some pedantic debate about identity. People equate sovereign state to nation. It's not as if when you ask a Chinese person his nationality, he says 'Han' or 'Manchu' or whatever when he's speaking to a foreigner.

Wrongly.

And what feckin difference does that make? As Ed Balls might say, in a sentence carefully scripted for him by the Conservative Party, 'Welcome to the real world'.

Yeah, but who wants to have to point that out in a preamble to every embarrasing conversation about how shit we are.

Why are we shit?

Why are we shit?

Well actually y'know were a proud, a very pwoud nation, which is not at all the same as a sovereign state - and who'd want to be one of those, eh? seems like a lot of effort for what: Accountability? Democracy? A better future for our kids? yer having a laugh neebur. Anyway, yes we're a proud nation who are very happy to have de facto outsourced major decisions to another, bigger, very proud nation, 'cos y'know there is more of them, and they are probably better at it.....

...our nation was too frightened to believe that we could stand on our own two feet and have rejected the opportunity to create a fairer and more caring society.

Alternatively, perhaps they just prefer to be a part of the union.

This idea of people being "too scared" by independence strikes me as a convenient excuse for the Yes camp to wheel out if/when it is a no vote. It's almost as if nobody is allowed to have a different opinion.

Archived