The New Stadiums Thread

jamamafegan

On 2017-6-19 at 20:24, HibeeJibee said:

Atlanta Olympic Stadium (1996) became baseball's Turner Field:

aerial2.jpg

Atlanta-Braves.jpg

Incidentally seeing as you bring it up, Turner field is going to change again after the Atlanta Braves have moved closer to the suburbs/white people and become a 22,000 seat American Football stadium at the college level.  Safe to say it's going to look rather odd

jcyfQJp.jpg

When did they replace the old stand at Gayfield?  Summer 2002 was it?  I mind being sat in it when Arbroath were in the First and they beat us 3-1 or something.  Was the old wooden bench job.

Incidentally seeing as you bring it up, Turner field is going to change again after the Atlanta Braves have moved closer to the suburbs/white people and become a 22,000 seat American Football stadium at the college level.  Safe to say it's going to look rather odd

jcyfQJp.jpg

Massive stands down one side and round behind one end dwarfing the other two

It's basically St James's Park

2d0574ec66345dc016bfbc5236de9559.jpg

When did they replace the old stand at Gayfield?  Summer 2002 was it?  I mind being sat in it when Arbroath were in the First and they beat us 3-1 or something.  Was the old wooden bench job.

Yeah 02/03, second season in the first division that year and we absolutely bombed that season I'm sure after a decent first season.

Before

10fc256582ded3db94a65e504f4c84ea.jpg

After

cb5448e41fd94dd9f8fa7f892f35c309.jpg

Now

6ed7849c874b1b86084d6928b977454a.jpg

Wish the seats were still as maroon. Good facilities in the stand too, changing rooms, hospitality suite with bar now takes 150 and very tidy inside, separate bar too just for punters.

It's nothing brilliant like but it's a lot tidier.

IMG_6340.JPG.603a401a4f2fb8f5bccb96f37670ccd6.JPG

Not being in the building trade my knowledge of such things is virtually nil but I don't understand why they are constructing the new stand around the ever decreasing old one. I'd have thought they'd totally demolish the old one, clear the site and then start the new build. Seems a bit of a complicated way of doing things to the untrained eye.

IMG_6340.JPG.603a401a4f2fb8f5bccb96f37670ccd6.JPG
Not being in the building trade my knowledge of such things is virtually nil but I don't understand why they are constructing the new stand around the ever decreasing old one. I'd have thought they'd totally demolish the old one, clear the site and then start the new build. Seems a bit of a complicated way of doing things to the untrained eye.

Had they started building the framework for the new one before the season ended to save time?

3 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:

Had they started building the framework for the new one before the season ended to save time?

1 minute ago, jamamafegan said:

Think they did that so that they could continue playing at Tynie whilst work was started, speeding up the process.

That makes sense. Still a bit strange seeing the new work grow around it now whilst big parts of the old stand's still there. It's great for seeing the different sizes of stands though!

All the times I went to Tynecastle I never thought that the old main stand was that small, but it's completely dwarfed by the new one. Should hopefully add to the atmosphere. Hopefully back there sooner rather than later.