Best restaurants in Scotland

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to Andrew Fairlies in September last year. The food and service was absolutely fantastic. Pricey but worth it. I like Kinloch Lodge in Skye and Rocpool in Inverness.

If you like Rocpool you should try Chez Roux at the Rocpool Reserve on Culduthel Road.

If you like there you would really like Smiths,better food and not as pretentious,how the guy doesn't have a star is beyond me? Has anyone been to Andrew fairlie at gleneagles?

I don't think Braidwoods isnt pretentious at all - actually wasn't blown away by the food as I thought I would be but it is good. The waiting staff are chatty, not haughty at all. It's kinda like being in someone's house I thought.

Spent last night in The Kitchin at Leith. It was a special night out and I didn't really expect to enjoy it and didn't previously like wee Tom on the telly. But it truly was an awesome experience. I had the Land and Sea taster menu with its accompanying wines and everything was wonderful. Pressed the flesh and had a wee blether with the Master in the bar afterwards and have changed my mind totally. Can't praise it highly enough.

Very few Dumfries posters on here, but that is just it with Dumfries, no decent eateries in the town. :thumbsdown

Hardly any top quality eateries in Dumfries. There are decent places, but nothing amazing. Few folk i know rate Casa Mia but ive been never been all that impressed. Del Amitri in Annan is pretty good, ate there a few times and always enjoyed it. Quite like the Italian in Dalbeattie, does a fantastic steak. Carlos in Castle Douglas used to be good, but not been in for a few years.

Other than that, really have to travel outwith the region for a top quality meal, though there may be a couple places to check out that I've missed.

Just to stick up for Dumfries a bit here.

Casa Mia is always good and really good value at lunch times especially.

http://www.casamiadumfries.co.uk/

Little Italy is very good as well it won best newcomer at the Scottish Italian awards recently.

http://www.littleitalydumfries.co.uk/

http://www.scottishitalianawards.co.uk/

Primo Piano is the next place I'll try as I've heard good reports.

http://www.primopiano.co.uk/

Also anytime I've been to one of the indians in town they've always been good.

I'm not sure how they compare to the one's in the central belt though.

If you like Rocpool you should try Chez Roux at the Rocpool Reserve on Culduthel Road.

Haven't heard many good reports about it tbh. Over priced and not very good.

Haven't been for the full a la carte, but the taster meal is delicious. About £15 or so.

For me my favourite restaurant in Glasgow is Cail Bruich, seriously tasty food. I don't think I have come across a better deal than their market menu (3 courses for £20) for the quality that you get. Won best restaurant in Scotland award in some awards recently and are aiming for a michelin star at some point

Balbirs would be my favourite indian, only place I eat salmon, and the halibut curry is just incredible

Kitchin would be the best food I have eaten in Scotland, so far, but is a little pricey for a regular occurrence

Here's my rundown on Dundee

Italian - I used to love the Italian on commercial street, but it's changed and I've not tried the new place yet. Tried Don Michelle's and Ciao Sorento's, but not impressed with either.

Indian - Malabar, absolutely brilliant curries here. The chicken isn't quite so great, but the lamb is amazing and the sauces are excellent. Not sure if they have a tandoori oven, so if you're in to that you'd be better off going elsewhere. Was going to go there last night, but it's shut on monday and Tuesdays now, went to Dil Se down the road and it was below average at best, very expensive too, so cant reccommend.

Kebabs - Bosphorous or Aga Khan

Pizza - Luigi's, better than Visocchy's imo. Both are really nice though.

Others - Went to the Meathouse recently got a really nice steak and some decent ribs, but it is very expensive, got to buy chips seperately etc so the bill mounts up quickly.

Collinsons in Broughty Ferry, only been once and it may have a different chef now, but it was excellent when I went.

Darcy Thompson up by the globe was pretty nice when I went there, somewhere between a pub and a restaurant.

Railway Inn is very good.

Marco Polo is quite nice, nothing special but the lunch deal they do is good value.

Tried the restaurant at the Apex hotel, but again not that impressed.

Places I want to try: Blue Marlin, Playwright, the tapas bar in Broughty Ferry and the Thai place by the Caird Hall.

Italian - I used to love the Italian on commercial street, but it's changed and I've not tried the new place yet. Tried Don Michelle's and Ciao Sorento's, but not impressed with either.

Indian - Malabar, absolutely brilliant curries here. The chicken isn't quite so great, but the lamb is amazing and the sauces are excellent. Not sure if they have a tandoori oven, so if you're in to that you'd be better off going elsewhere. Was going to go there last night, but it's shut on monday and Tuesdays now, went to Dil Se down the road and it was below average at best, very expensive too, so cant reccommend.

Others - Went to the Meathouse recently got a really nice steak and some decent ribs, but it is very expensive, got to buy chips seperately etc so the bill mounts up quickly.

Collinsons in Broughty Ferry, only been once and it may have a different chef now, but it was excellent when I went.

Darcy Thompson up by the globe was pretty nice when I went there, somewhere between a pub and a restaurant.

Marco Polo is quite nice, nothing special but the lunch deal they do is good value.

Places I want to try: Blue Marlin, Playwright, the tapas bar in Broughty Ferry and the Thai place by the Caird Hall.

The Meathouse is pretty good. I've never had the steaks but the burgers and the pork chops are top quality.

The D'Arcy Thompson is good. The same people also run The West House, at the opposite end of the same street, and they do the best pizzas in Dundee IMO.

The Balaka is my favourite curry house in Dundee. It's next door to the Aga Khan. It's not as nice looking or trendy as Malabar or Dil Se but it the food is really good.

Haven't been to the Blue Marlin since it moved into Dundee but I presume it is still excellent.

Haven't been to the Blue Marlin since it moved into Dundee but I presume it is still excellent.

Likewise, however Mrs B has been for lunch a few times in Dundee and she has been impressed.

Both times I've been I had the grilled prawn selection main. Pricey, but a real treat.. Not sure it's on the menu anymore though...?

Spent last night in The Kitchin at Leith. It was a special night out and I didn't really expect to enjoy it and didn't previously like wee Tom on the telly. But it truly was an awesome experience. I had the Land and Sea taster menu with its accompanying wines and everything was wonderful. Pressed the flesh and had a wee blether with the Master in the bar afterwards and have changed my mind totally. Can't praise it highly enough.

I like Kitchin's. The food and service are always excellent.

I am heading there a week on Saturday for the girlfriend's birthday. I think the tasting menu with the matching wine package is the way to go.

Archived