Best restaurants in Scotland

This thread is dangerous.

Some folk have a dreadful taste in food and there's no way of knowing who to trust.

I'd like to add a recommendation for Balbir's banquet. Really liked that.

I've yet to find a favourite in Dundee. There's been a few OK places but nowhere has hooked us. Now we have a baby and no easy baby-sitting options so eating out is a thing of the past.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Italian - Aperativo in Aberdeen is pretty good. Always quite enjoyed Massimo's in Glasgow too.

Indian - Charcoals in Glasgow has to be up there. Looks a bit shit from the outside but the food is excellent. Like TheWee Curry Shop in Glasgow too.

Oriental - Lychee and Opium in Glasgow great. I think Yatai in Aberdeen beats them both.

Other - Butchershop Bar and Grill. Outstanding steaks, possibly the best in Scotland (I haven't had better). 2 Fat Ladies on Dumbarton Road very good as well. I love the Nargile (Turkish) in Aberdeen a lot as well.

Some folk have a dreadful taste in food and there's no way of knowing who to trust.

I've yet to find a favourite in Dundee. There's been a few OK places but nowhere has hooked us. Now we have a baby and no easy baby-sitting options so eating out is a thing of the past.

That's why I personally believe in eating in establishments in the Strathclyde region but I'm sure it's similar to "The Village" and what I've been told is a big lie.

Just a wee aside on the last point, one of the worst things food wise I've ever heard was an American asking two schemies on a flight for a good food recommendation for glasgow and they began talking about the counting house as if it was an opulent maison of haute cuisine, surely people who eat in brewers Fayre, wether spoons etc should be considered nuggets, there's no excuse for that now with places like 5 pm and whatnot meaning you can go to real restaurants for the same price!

Whetherspoons is pretty poor but can serve a purpose as a stop off on a night out to get some food in the belly. Decent selection of beer too.

Does stun me why a couple would ever go to the Brewers Fayre for an evening meal though.

Just a wee aside on the last point, one of the worst things food wise I've ever heard was an American asking two schemies on a flight for a good food recommendation for glasgow and they began talking about the counting house as if it was an opulent maison of haute cuisine, surely people who eat in brewers Fayre, wether spoons etc should be considered nuggets, there's no excuse for that now with places like 5 pm and whatnot meaning you can go to real restaurants for the same price!

To be fair to Brewer's Fayre if you have a young family they are ideal. The food ain't great but it allows you to give the kids a bit of freedom without pissing other customers off. Other than that I agree.

Balbirs tandoori salmon is fucking brilliant.

Overrated, and one of only two restaurants I've ever walked out of because of the food being terrible.

Best Indian I've been to was the Indali Lounge on Baker Street in London.

My folks are going to Andrew Fairlie this weekend at gleneagles. Seriously jealous.

That's a long way to go for a burger. :P

Mother India is shite, Masala twist is a new Indian chain and pishes all over any other one in glasgow.

Roc pool reserve in Inverness is cracking.

Smiths in Uddingston is absolutely fantastic,very reasonable as well.

I can't recommend the Kilberry Inn for a fantastic night and food.

Italian food is shite just have a bowl of pasta in the house and save yerself a fortune.

I've never ever been in a Chinese restaurant that wasn't manky, even the purportedly posh ones are minging.

There seems to be a new smokehouse craze in glasgow which is great but I would say that all of them have some growing to do.

In terms of pizza the bier Halle is good, I'd never pay £20 for two pizzas when I could make one for a fraction of that.

Pinto is an amazing wee Mexican street food place I'd recommend the pork burrito or the chilli bowl!

Ahaaa a discerning diner you must be hard to please, picky eater IMHO. :P

One in Ullapool always comes to mind The Frigate. (Trad)

If you are going for an Italian in Glasgow then Esca down by the Tron Theatre off Argyle street is excellent. Not too expensive either.

Hear Hear.

Italian - Aperativo in Aberdeen is pretty good. Always quite enjoyed Massimo's in Glasgow too.

Indian - Charcoals in Glasgow has to be up there. Looks a bit shit from the outside but the food is excellent. Like TheWee Curry Shop in Glasgow too.

Oriental - Lychee and Opium in Glasgow great. I think Yatai in Aberdeen beats them both.

Other - Butchershop Bar and Grill. Outstanding steaks, possibly the best in Scotland (I haven't had better). 2 Fat Ladies on Dumbarton Road very good as well. I love the Nargile (Turkish) in Aberdeen a lot as well.

Definitely the best steak I've ever had.

If you like there you would really like Smiths,better food and not as pretentious,how the guy doesn't have a star is beyond me? Has anyone been to Andrew fairlie at gleneagles?

Never found it that way at all.

If you are going for an Italian in Glasgow then Esca down by the Tron Theatre off Argyle street is excellent. Not too expensive either.

I was in one night with the missus before going to a show in the Tron Theatre. She ordered Chicken Goujons to start, she got 5 Chicken McNuggets tarted up with a bit of salad and dressing.

If you like there you would really like Smiths,better food and not as pretentious,how the guy doesn't have a star is beyond me? Has anyone been to Andrew fairlie at gleneagles?

I went to Andrew Fairlies in September last year. The food and service was absolutely fantastic. Pricey but worth it.

I like Kinloch Lodge in Skye and Rocpool in Inverness.

Archived