Your Old Stadium

Cheers. I figured there was a story. Thistle used to have a cover over the north end but it disappeared late 60s. I was told by a good source they knocked it down as the rates for a covered terracing were higher than uncovered. I was also told this was crap and it fell apart through neglect. Somewhere the truth exists.

I am sure it was ripped down in a storm.

Back in 1958 when "The Shed" was in planning, the council knocked Hearts back to completely cover the remaining terracing on the Distillary side and the whole of the McCleod St terracing due to the covered enclosure potentially blocking out light for the classrooms at Tynecastle High School and somehow strangely Gerrards Yard that existed in Wheatfield Street, roll on 30 odd years later and we have the "Roseburn Stand that towers above the same school classrooms ???? albeit the school has now moved to the land opposite the ground and existing school.

The school having moved is probably the reason the Roseburn Stand towers above the school building. Unless the Roseburn Stand was built before the school moved, in which case I don't know why the original proposal was refused. (Other than the council at that time was full of Hibs fans...)

The school having moved is probably the reason the Roseburn Stand towers above the school building. Unless the Roseburn Stand was built before the school moved, in which case I don't know why the original proposal was refused. (Other than the council at that time was full of Hibs fans...)

Stand built 1995.

School relocated 2010.

Cheers. I figured there was a story. Thistle used to have a cover over the north end but it disappeared late 60s. I was told by a good source they knocked it down as the rates for a covered terracing were higher than uncovered. I was also told this was crap and it fell apart through neglect. Somewhere the truth exists.
I am sure it was ripped down in a storm.
I think the answer was somewhere in the middle. The North shed was damaged in a storm and it was deemed to expensive to repair so was demolished.

• 2 weeks later...

Not that I've seen. Misty eyed nostalgia in forum form. Some of those ground bring back great memories.

For those of you too young to remember rickety old grounds smelling of urine, may I suggest a trip to Somerset Park for that "heritage" experience...

Or go to Pollok's ground, did that yesterday and it was like stepping right back to the 1970's facilities, it's a pity about the lack of 1970's crowds to match.

This was in the United programme the other day:

attachicon.gif1393147295743.jpg

Saw that. Cracking pick. United legend Jacky Kay in the centre with the "Guy Pierce in Lawless" style centre parting.

Was talking about this pic yesterday. They have the location wrong, it's taking along the sandeman street terracing, now the George fox stand, looking towards the corner with the shed.

Saw that. Cracking pick. United legend Jacky Kay in the centre with the "Guy Pierce in Lawless" style centre parting.

Was talking about this pic yesterday. They have the location wrong, it's taking along the sandeman street terracing, now the George fox stand, looking towards the corner with the shed.

I thought it was taken c.1987 showing Jim McLean overseeing some youth players looking for a lost shilling on the terraces...

Found this pic on twitter a few days ago. Bobby Charlton (with hair, no less!) training at Rugby Park in 1960 ahead of the annual Scotland v England game at Hampden.

The old stand in the background would be reconstructed soon after this photo was taken, with the old Archibald Leitch roof structure coming off and a new tier going up at the back. It's similar to what Motherwell did with their current main stand in that they just built another layer on the back of it - albeit they never got theirs to run the length of the pitch.

BhPxQltCIAA4aPJ.jpg

CELTIC PARK AKA PARKHEAD OR PARADISE

MISS THESE DAYS WHEN FOOTBALL WAS FOR THE WORKING CLASSES. WHEN PLAYERS WERE REAL MEN ,NOT A PAIR OF COLOURED POOFY BOOTS IN SIGHT OR WEARING GLOVES HAT OR TIGHTS COZ ITS TO CAULD.BLACK BOOTS AND AN ALL WHITE BALL THATS ALL THESE GUYS NEEDED.ALSO SO CALLED FANS WHO SIT WITH THERE MOBILE PHONES HELLO IM AT THE GAME WANKERS. SING SUPPORT YOUR TEAM CHEER WATCH THE FECKIN GAME TILL THAT COMES BACK THE GAME WILL STAY SHITE

oq03.jpg

7ch5.jpg

9v5g.jpg

g7k7.jpg

uisr.jpg

b1gj.jpg

jzct.jpg

79m7.jpg

fvkp.jpg

qp4t.jpg

It must have been an absolute mind-f**k for the home support when Celtic Park re-opened following the season at Hampden with all the changes as all three terraced ends were knocked down at the same time weren't they?

It must have been an absolute mind-f**k for the home support when Celtic Park re-opened following the season at Hampden with all the changes as all three terraced ends were knocked down at the same time weren't they?

The north stand looked bizarre when it was first built, standing there on it's own with the curved ends coming to nothing. The main stand looked even stranger, due to the scale of the north stand in comparison.

What's the story with Motherwell's main stand? Is true that they couldn't get permission to make.it the whole length of the pitch because some old boy had a house where the space is and.wouldn't sell up?

Almost - the old boy complained about the full-length stand when Motherwell were getting planning permission because it would have darkened his garden because of the shade. Motherwell compromised by building the structure that's in place today.

My pal from uni lives in that house now, and having been round to the place a few times I can see why the old boy would have had issues with a full-length stand.

Here's one that I was thinking about - which Scottish grounds had fences between the fans and the pitch (as opposed to for segregation)? They disappeared post-Hillsbourough/Taylor - but the few I could remember were:

Ibrox (in front of the Enclosure)

Tynecastle

Easter Rd

Hampden

I'm sure there were others - anyone?

Here's one that I was thinking about - which Scottish grounds had fences between the fans and the pitch (as opposed to for segregation)? They disappeared post-Hillsbourough/Taylor - but the few I could remember were:

Ibrox (in front of the Enclosure)

Tynecastle

Easter Rd

Hampden

I'm sure there were others - anyone?

As far as I can remember you've got the lot. Certainly nothing at Dens, Tannadice, Pittodrie or Parkhead.

As far as I can remember you've got the lot. Certainly nothing at Dens, Tannadice, Pittodrie or Parkhead.

I'm sure there was at Tannadice.....the away fans were at the allotment end......sure there was palisade fencing between there & the now Fox stand?