The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

The New York Pass is excellent if you're doing sightseeing. It varies when you can queue jump but it was handy at Top of the Rock and the Guggenheim. Also had a few discounts in places too. When I went it included the three hour cruise round Manhattan, which was worth going on.

Great idea for any US city you visit really - had one when I went to LA a couple of years ago and managed to get my money's worth even though I lost my wallet a couple of days before I went home.

We're going for 4 nights at the end of this month (then 4 nights Vegas, 5 Orlando), I've never been to the states before (girlfriend has) so I'm very excited. We've bought a thing called the New York Pass (http://www.newyorkpass.com/En/) which lets you in to most of the major attractions and gets you a que jump apparently. No idea how well it'll work in practice, but we thought it seemed like a good idea.

Staying in Manhattan in the Affinia, looks like it'll be a really nice hotel. Going to do the tour of MSG (nothing on when we're there sadly), go to a show on Broadway, circle tour cruise have dinner in the River Cafe and a meal in the Boat House, do a bit of shopping and then eat, drink and see as many of the sights as we can (The Rock, Central Park, Times Square, few museums, etc). I really, really can't wait.

I did the MSG tour in February, it was cracking, and one of the few sports tours I've been on where you can use your camera absolutely everywhere. Have also seen Jersey Boys and The Lion King on Broadway - both are brilliant.

I'm going for 3 nights in a couple of weeks. Someone recommended me a place to go early in the morning to pick up cheapest tickets for Broadway shows that night but I can't remember where it was?

Anyone she'd any light?

Red steps on broadway

What Affinia? The view I posted above was the Affinia Dumont, also stayed at Affinia 50. I dont rate the New York pass, you do not get to queue jump at most attractions and if you do not see them all you save hardly any money.

It's the Affinia Manhattan we're staying in, the one on 371 Seventh Avenue in Midtown, looks pretty nice. will actually likely be the worst of the three we're stayin in on the holiday, but that's more due to the fact that I imagine the MGM Grand and Waldorff Astoria will be unbelievable. I'm pretty damn excited :)

We're planning doing as much sight seeing as possible so will hopefully get our moneys worth out of it, but it's more to save the hassle of having to buy individual tickets for everything that I think it'll be handy.

I'm going for 3 nights in a couple of weeks. Someone recommended me a place to go early in the morning to pick up cheapest tickets for Broadway shows that night but I can't remember where it was?

Anyone she'd any light?

Red steps on broadway

We were planning getting tickets for Broadway before we went, would we be better off doing this, or getting them in advance?

We were planning getting tickets for Broadway before we went, would we be better off doing this, or getting them in advance?

Depends if your going to a big show on a saturday night as they will sell out,but if your doing a weekday night i would wait until i got there to buy.I always change my mind which show to go to as there is so many too choose from

Depends if your going to a big show on a saturday night as they will sell out,but if your doing a weekday night i would wait until i got there to buy.I always change my mind which show to go to as there is so many too choose from

Broadway box has as good discounts as TKTS usually. Shows like Lion King and Book or Mormon are never discounted though.

Cool, thanks guys. Think we're going to see either "The Cripple of Inishmaan", "Rocky", "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" or "A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder" (I fancy "Of Mice and Men" with James Franco and chris O'Dowd, but don't think she's too keen sadly). Will likely be the Saturday night after the Froch v Groves fight (need to find a bar nearby with HBO), so will probably get them in advance.

I'm at the affinia Dumont in September. View like that would be amazing.

We stayed there too. Terrific hotel in a great location which is the main thing when going to NY as far as I'm concerned.

Cool, thanks guys. Think we're going to see either "The Cripple of Inishmaan", "Rocky", "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" or "A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder" (I fancy "Of Mice and Men" with James Franco and chris O'Dowd, but don't think she's too keen sadly). Will likely be the Saturday night after the Froch v Groves fight (need to find a bar nearby with HBO), so will probably get them in advance.

As you've got a big choice you're probably as well chancing your arm at TKTS. Think there's a few - such as The Lion King and Jersey Boys - they rarely/ever have but aside from that you've got a reasonable choice. Think we only started queuing 90 minutes max before it opened and got tickets for our first choice no bother.

If there's two of you one could wait while the other goes to get lunch for the pair of you, that's what me and my brother did. Still remember asking the guy at the deli for two cheese and ham sandwiches and being told "You mean ham and cheese".

Edited by Stu

Going for the first time for a few nights in a couple of weeks time. Heading with my folks and staying in the Waldorf Astoria. Got tickets for Jersey Boys for my Mum's birthday so heading to that, and got tickets for Top of the Rock, the Empire State and the MSG tour, other than that it'll just be the touristy stuff I guess. Really looking forward to it :)

There is a cracking boozer just beside the entrance to the empire state building,it brews all its bevy in house and its a pleasant place to while away an evening if you have just done the tour

How strict are they in the US with the over 21 drinking laws, the next time I go I could be a couple of months short of my 21st, will I not be able to drink anywhere?

It is not uncommon to be ID'd everywhere you go, I saw people who were obviously in their 30s at least being ID'd, and I was also asked on several ocassions when I was there last year.

You might be lucky enough, but I believe that they are supposed to ID absolutely everybody, regardless of how they appear.