The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

Booked up to go in a couple of weeks. Reading this thread got me quite excited, apart from doing all the touristy pish which Im not too fussed about, quite like the sound of the MSG tour. Anyone know if its possible to get cheaper tickets for the hockey or am I going to have to spunk $80 on shitey resell seats?

1 hour ago, Senor Bairn said:

Booked up to go in a couple of weeks. Reading this thread got me quite excited, apart from doing all the touristy pish which Im not too fussed about, quite like the sound of the MSG tour. Anyone know if its possible to get cheaper tickets for the hockey or am I going to have to spunk $80 on shitey resell seats?

That's just the price of US Sports. Great entertainment though.

3 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

Get your spunking gloves on, I reckon. Last time I was at MSG I bought tickets on the night of the game at the box office. Not even sure if that's possible anymore.

When we went last year, if you're just going for the sake of a game at MSG and don't have a massive preference, the cheapest basketball tickets were half the price of the hockey ones, and we figured it would be a better watch from up in the gods as both the players and the ball (I know it's a puck in hockey) are much bigger. Guess it might be getting close to playoff time in both sports though and no idea where any of the NY teams are in the standings which will obviously affect prices.

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

When we went last year, if you're just going for the sake of a game at MSG and don't have a massive preference, the cheapest basketball tickets were half the price of the hockey ones, and we figured it would be a better watch from up in the gods as both the players and the ball (I know it's a puck in hockey) are much bigger. Guess it might be getting close to playoff time in both sports though and no idea where any of the NY teams are in the standings which will obviously affect prices.

Knicks and Rangers both shite.

Islanders out at the Barclays centre go for about $15 on resale.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

$200 a night upwards is cheap?

Yep. A night at a YMCA in Manhattan is over $120. Last time I was there overnight I ended up staying in a hotel on Long Island and getting the train into the city. A good bit cheaper, but the train would make it a bit of a pain in the tits if you were doing that every day for a week.

12 minutes ago, MSU said:

Yep. A night at a YMCA in Manhattan is over $120. Last time I was there overnight I ended up staying in a hotel on Long Island and getting the train into the city. A good bit cheaper, but the train would make it a bit of a pain in the tits if you were doing that every day for a week.

Sounds like London used to be before Travelodge and Premier Inn and the likes moved in, which was fairly recently. Stayed in some really sleazy places in Earls Court, Pimlico and Finsbury Park from resenting paying over £100 for a kip.

We have booked really nice Airbnb's for around $180 - $200/night in both Brooklyn and Lower east side Manhatten.

We didn't even consider a hotel tbh, tiny rooms and very expensive. We have 2 little ones as well so a proper apartment/house is so much easier.

2 hours ago, Saigon Raider said:

We have booked really nice Airbnb's for around $180 - $200/night in both Brooklyn and Lower east side Manhatten.

We didn't even consider a hotel tbh, tiny rooms and very expensive. We have 2 little ones as well so a proper apartment/house is so much easier.

Airbnb is pretty much illegal in NYC. Please check the laws on renting an apartment. Half the time the apartment doesn't exist or it's nothing like it's described as. Even heard of people being evicted by housing officers during their stay. As you are travelling with kids I'd look into this ASAP and book an apartment style hotel.

This describes why apartments are a no go

Edited by Honest Saints Fan

14 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Airbnb is pretty much illegal in NYC. Please check the laws on renting an apartment. Half the time the apartment doesn't exist or it's nothing like it's described as. Even heard of people being evicted by housing officers during their stay. As you are travelling with kids I'd look into this ASAP and book an apartment style hotel.

This describes why apartments are a no go

Thanks for the info - we did know about this but still find it extremely unlikely we will get evicted from these places. If it does happen then we will book into a hotel but still feel it is very low risk.  The place we have booked in Brooklyn, the couple live upstairs so not affected by the regulations. 

Trip Advisor has a kind of vested interest in making this sound as dodgy as possible and even they say this law is more targeted towards large-scale operations with high numbers of tiny rooms. We never go to places that only have 1 or 2 reviews and have never had any problems with Airbnb all over the world.

Edited by Saigon Raider

26 minutes ago, Saigon Raider said:

The place we have booked in Brooklyn, the couple live upstairs so not affected by the regulations. 

Yes, true...if they are renting out a room in an apartment they are living in it's not illegal.  But, not so if they own 2 apartments in the same building and rent out one.  Regardless, I'd imagine the risk is low if you've done your research.

On 16/03/2018 at 19:27, Senor Bairn said:

If you are set on MSG then prices can be high. It is worth it though.

Forget the Islanders it's a shit venue. NJ devils is a great arena and great atmosphere, 20 minute train from Penn station and tickets should be half the price of rangers tickets.

On 3/26/2018 at 09:23, invergowrie arab said:

Forget the Islanders it's a shit venue. NJ devils is a great arena and great atmosphere, 20 minute train from Penn station and tickets should be half the price of rangers tickets.

Disagree on the Islanders, I was about 6 rows back from the benches in February and it was class.

Significantly cheaper than MSG too.

I've used airbnb 3 times in New York now and in a few other places where it's meant to be illegal or restricted and it's always worked out alright and was far cheaper than hotels. As long as you're not an idiot booking places which look far too good to be true for the price and/or have no  reviews/1 or 2 reviews from people who have given no other reviews on other properties you'll be fine.  I had one place cancel in Berlin when the law was tightened there but even I was given plenty of notice, airbnb gave me a voucher for my trouble and I re-booked with someone else who was willing to risk it.

Even if not risking booking through airbnb you can get reasonably priced hotels if you move away from looking near Midtown considering you're in a city with a 24 hour a day transport system and tourist attractions all over the place. Staying in a hotel on or around Times Square and paying a fortune for the privilege sounds like my idea of hell.

On 3/26/2018 at 04:23, invergowrie arab said:

When was the last Islanders game you went to?  They  abandoned the shithole that was the Nassau Coliseum in 2015 and now share the Barclay's centre with the NBA's Brooklyn Nets which by all reports is a much nicer (and easier to get to) arena