The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Anyone made the effort to go up to Niagara from NYC?

I can get a return flight to Buffalo do it in a day for just over £100, but it looks like a cab or hire a car once I'm there. £60 each way for a cab or £80 for the car for the day

You get a better overall view from the Canadian side, IMO. Having said that, other than the view, the Canadian side is a tourist trap hole, you can get closer on the American side to water falling off a cliff, so it's worth while to do it from both sides if you can. It feels to me like you're cramming an awful lot of travel and hanging around airports to really enjoy it in a day. You should be able to get a car much cheaper than £80. If you book ahead on something like Priceline you could get something like a Ford Fusion for around $40.

8 hours ago, MSU said:

You get a better overall view from the Canadian side, IMO. Having said that, other than the view, the Canadian side is a tourist trap hole, you can get closer on the American side to water falling off a cliff, so it's worth while to do it from both sides if you can. It feels to me like you're cramming an awful lot of travel and hanging around airports to really enjoy it in a day. You should be able to get a car much cheaper than £80. If you book ahead on something like Priceline you could get something like a Ford Fusion for around $40.

Cheers, I was just having a quick look at prices, but it seemed like hiring the car was the best idea.

I'll only be in NYC for a week so don't want to give too much of it up for something I'm not desperate to do but feel I should! I also have a mate who lives in Buffalo, so should be able to catch up with him quickly so it is a sor of worthwhile trip!

If you want to do Niagara Falls you'd be as well making that part of a different trip to Toronto, which is a tremendous place. Probably helped I had relatives over there who kindly drove me and my brother to the falls and back and didn't want any money towards parking or petrol!

As MSU said though, the Canadian side is quite touristy in places. Clifton Hill is worth a look on Streetview for a laugh.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, KnightswoodBear said:

Has anyone used Norwegian Air from Edinburgh?  It appears that Stewart Airport is about an hour and a half from the City.  What are the transport links like?

There's a few posts about it on the previous page discussing pros and cons mate.

Bit of a result yesterday - we have a flight with Norwegian but after seeing how far it was (and with two little kids) I tried to cancel but it was after 48 hours so no deal.

Got an email yesterday to say that they were changing the departure date by a day so full refund.

Now booked with Virgin (Delta flight I think) on budgetair.co.uk for only £150 more (for 4 of us) than Norwegian and it flies to JFK - £400 cheaper than on Virgin's website - no idea why it is so much cheaper but pretty sure I haven't missed anything...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Went to New York last year and going again this year in August, staying down at the Hilton at the financial district this time rather than Times Square. Looking to be more organised than last time as it was a last minute trip as I replaced someone who's going last minute. Last time I got the NYC pass and did Rockefeller, Madame Tusades, Empire State Building, a Broadway show,  Bus Tours, US Open for the tennis and a few other things.  Wanted to do the 9/11 museum but it was a 3 hour wait, how far in advance

Looking to do some different things I missed this year, would anyone have any recommendations ? Got tickets for New York Red Bulls vs New York City football game, will look at doing another Broadway show but was looking at things such as going into Brooklyn as we only went over the bridge and back last time, and some scran/bar recommendations would be appreciated too. Going for 5 days.

1 hour ago, KD1711 said:

Went to New York last year and going again this year in August, staying down at the Hilton at the financial district this time rather than Times Square. Looking to be more organised than last time as it was a last minute trip as I replaced someone who's going last minute. Last time I got the NYC pass and did Rockefeller, Madame Tusades, Empire State Building, a Broadway show,  Bus Tours, US Open for the tennis and a few other things.  Wanted to do the 9/11 museum but it was a 3 hour wait, how far in advance

Looking to do some different things I missed this year, would anyone have any recommendations ? Got tickets for New York Red Bulls vs New York City football game, will look at doing another Broadway show but was looking at things such as going into Brooklyn as we only went over the bridge and back last time, and some scran/bar recommendations would be appreciated too. Going for 5 days.

We ate at Cafe China on Christmas Day a couple of years ago and it was really good. Good food, good cocktails and reasonably priced for a Michelin Star. 

I also enjoyed walking the High Line from Chelsea to Grenwich Village. We came off it a couple of times and went into a couple of bars on the way down which was pretty cool as there weren't loads of tourists kicking about - there's loads of Bars down there and it's probably my favorite area in the city for just walking about in. Essentially spent a day between Chelsea and Tribeca just wandering about and finding places to go for a drink.

Also like it down in the South Street Sea Port area.  

In Brookly I would highly recommend walking around Williamsburg

Brooklyn Bowl - hard to describe - think your local bowling alley meets From dusk til Dawn https://www.brooklynbowl.com/brooklyn/bowling/

Randolph Beer - The Williamsburg one, not the Dumbo one https://www.randolphbeer.com/ great atmosphere. You get a card, tap card on the screen and fill up your glass yourself like buying petrol so take as much or as little as you like which is good as some are about 8%. I went Saturday through day which was half price on all draft beer

Smorgasburg https://www.smorgasburg.com/ every different kind of food known to man 

On 2/28/2018 at 04:09, invergowrie arab said:

In Brookly I would highly recommend walking around Williamsburg

Brooklyn Bowl - hard to describe - think your local bowling alley meets From dusk til Dawn https://www.brooklynbowl.com/brooklyn/bowling/

Randolph Beer - The Williamsburg one, not the Dumbo one https://www.randolphbeer.com/ great atmosphere. You get a card, tap card on the screen and fill up your glass yourself like buying petrol so take as much or as little as you like which is good as some are about 8%. I went Saturday through day which was half price on all draft beer

Smorgasburg https://www.smorgasburg.com/ every different kind of food known to man 

Cheers for that - going to Brooklyn for 8 days in the summer.

There's a cracking wee bar down near where you're staying called The Dead Rabbit. Good grub in it too. It's about 5 mins walk from where the Staten Island ferry leaves. Another good bar is Raccoon Lodge but it might be closed now. Seem to remember their lease was up soon when I was there two years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCYXa_5DYS2a636BDPSq9dw

Im totally addicted to this channel at the moment. Guy with a hand held camera who invented vlogging 40 years before vlogging was a thing.

Real grimy,  seedy NY of the 80s/early 90s which is pretty much gone now. Amazing how much gentrification there has been in Chlsea, HellsKitchen, Meat packing District etc. You can still see the imprint of it, especially in the east village but nothing like this.

• 2 weeks later...

My future wife and I are wanting to go over next year at some point.  Any recommendations on good hotels that don't cost an arm and a leg? She's never been before so somewhere central would be ideal.