The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

The US in general has become ridiculously expensive with regards to accommodation. The exchange rate is a factor but even taking that into account the prices are huge compared to what they used to be. Especially for NYC.

I usually buy my beer in Walgreens and drink it when I get back to the room about midnight. Last year I bought four cans in the store closest to my hotel in Times Square. I think they were about $5 a can, big cans right enough.Went to the Walgreens on 7th Avenue just down from my hotel the next day and they were about half the price. Suppose it makes sense, but I didn't expect it to be that different for a 5 minute walk along 42nd Street.

On 25/02/2017 at 21:42, throbber said:

I got ID'd at the baseball, they were ID'ing guys who were clearly in their 50's. Bloody yanks.

If you're able to afford beer at baseball you're sure as hell old enough to drink it.

Edited by Stu

If you're able to afford beer at baseball you're sure as hell old enough to drink it.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was $12 a drink, I assumed that a certain level of common sense would be applied when I explained I didn't have my passport with me but this wasn't the case.

• 1 month later...

What I found quite useful was just using Google Maps / tripadvisor to find where was highly rated near you for type of food that you want when you get hungry, we found a really nice pizza place by doing this. There's so many places that everyone will have their own recommendation.

The only potential drawback in not booking is obviously that you might not get in or have to wait if it's busy but if you cared that much about a place you'd have booked it before you went...

Might book it as reading back there seems to be a lot of good reviews and 19th on TripAdvisor is a decent barometer.

Yeah it was great but as people have said there are thousands of places to eat and drink there so don't go feeling you need to book everything and play it by ear. I don't think we even reserved a table at Club A, pretty sure we just walked up.

I'm pretty jealous of you!

Heading off on Sunday but still haven't had the chance to book anywhere to eat. Would just waiting until we're there to pick places be a bad idea? Or does anyone have any recommendations for good restaurants/bars?

Meat packing district is where the wife and I hung out at night good restaurant's and bars.

Keens Steakhouse on 36th Street, but you need to book it. Carmine's in Times Square for Italian.

If you are down Battery Park any restaurant in and around Brookfield Pace. Even the food court is brilliant.

Avoid any Applebee's, and don't even think about going to Ellen's Starlight Diner, I have no idea why that dump is so popular.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...