The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

• 2 weeks later...

Planning to go over in September but finding choosing a hotel quite daunting... any recommendations or at least neighborhoods to be looking at/avoiding?

Also, flights. With Icelandair via Rekjavik looks like a good option.

It was September when I went. Constant 20C with clear skies, perfect weather. I can only recommend based on what I did. It was an amazing break without any logistical difficulties, so this is genuinely recommended!

I stayed at the New Yorker Hotel, West 34th St. It's right next to Penn Station, across the road from Madison Sq Garden, is on the same street as the Empire State Building (I could see a bit of Times Square, the Chrysler and Empire State from my standard double room), and is an art deco building with a bit of history behind it. The rooms aren't big but that's what to expect there without a premium. There was no breakfast facilities but there were countless delis, cafés and others to go to for breakfast. Various subway routes are within a couple of mins' walking distance, it's next to Macy's department store, I felt it was in a perfect location us.

Our flight was from Glasgow with United Airlines, flying into Newark International. We got the train from the airport to Penn Station, it was pretty easy. Our plane flew directly overhead the Giants stadium and the view you get of Manhattan coming in is like something from films.

My other half is a travel agent and arranged most of it, so I couldn't tell you whether or not it was a good deal other than she wouldn't have gone ahead with it if it wasn't good value for us.

Edited by bunglebonce

I was in a hotel on West 35th Street when I was in New York last year. Location wise it's spot on, more or less slap bang in the middle of Manhattan with excellent Metro links around you.

http://www.hotelmetronyc.com/ - Has a very cool rooftop terrace , with the Empire State Building practically towering over you.

Edited by Stevie Aitken's Love Child

Take layers! It's freezing outside but the shops/museums etc. are always too hot! There is meant be a snow storm on Saturday. I arrive on Wednesday!

For hotels I recommend any of the Affinia properties. Post your exact dates and budget on the NYC trip advisor forum and they will give you great recommendations. That forum is invaluable.

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked flights for 4 nights in September. Booking flights and hotels together for 2 people with a 1500 budget was turning up some right shitholes or airport hotels.

Have just booked flights for 950 so is it reasonable to think I could get somewhere central for 4 nights for 500? If not at least I'll have a bit more time to.save for it. For the missus' 40th in a few week so had to at least get the flights booked now.

Leaving it til Sep is half about wanting to save up some money but half because even though it's her birthday I want to try and ctch an nfl game whilst I'm there.

cheers, I'm beginning to realise the budget will have to be raised. I saw one source that said NY was cheaper in September and booked up and now have read the 100 others that say it is not.

How important is it to stay in Manhattan? Say I stayed Long Island City would I feel like I was out of things? The only big city I can compare it to is London. I would never stay bang on central in London, I usually go around Kings Cross or Euston and get the train places. Would LIC be comparable to that or is it a good bit away from the action?

IMO Long Island City is perfectly fine as long as you are close to a subway station! The County Inn and Suites is a hotel there I always see recommended on trip advisor. I think September is the US Open, UN General Assembly and New York Fashion week meaning hotels raise their prices.

cheers, I'm beginning to realise the budget will have to be raised. I saw one source that said NY was cheaper in September and booked up and now have read the 100 others that say it is not.

How important is it to stay in Manhattan? Say I stayed Long Island City would I feel like I was out of things? The only big city I can compare it to is London. I would never stay bang on central in London, I usually go around Kings Cross or Euston and get the train places. Would LIC be comparable to that or is it a good bit away from the action?

I went in September last year and stayed at the millennium broadway right in Times Square. Hotel couldn't be more central if you tried, and wasn't expensive. Can't remember exactly, but I'm sure it was around £900 for a triple room for 6 nights.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm heading in October for 5 nights. Looking forward to it.

I know there is so much to do, but I'm not going to try to do everything in the shirt time. Will try to get a few of the big sights out the way first!

Don't bother going to Empire State then - takes f*cking ages with all the security, queues etc.

Go to Top of the Rock instead - better views IMO, plus you can see the Empire State from up there!

P1000009.jpg

That was the view from my room when I was there in November. I would sit on my bed drinking a beer at night and look out there for ages rather than watch the telly. It was mental.

Going back this time next year, but probably staying somewhere a but quieter, unfortunately.

Anyone try a Cinnabon Chillata when they were there? Best soft drink I have ever had.

Other things I love are American Eagle athletic trunks and Trident chewing gum. Both of which I have bought on the internet since I got home. A lot.

• 4 weeks later...

We're going for 4 nights at the end of this month (then 4 nights Vegas, 5 Orlando), I've never been to the states before (girlfriend has) so I'm very excited. We've bought a thing called the New York Pass (http://www.newyorkpass.com/En/) which lets you in to most of the major attractions and gets you a que jump apparently. No idea how well it'll work in practice, but we thought it seemed like a good idea.

Staying in Manhattan in the Affinia, looks like it'll be a really nice hotel. Going to do the tour of MSG (nothing on when we're there sadly), go to a show on Broadway, circle tour cruise have dinner in the River Cafe and a meal in the Boat House, do a bit of shopping and then eat, drink and see as many of the sights as we can (The Rock, Central Park, Times Square, few museums, etc). I really, really can't wait.