The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

9 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Go see the nets at the Barclays centre if the Knicks aren't playing if you like basketball that is, we went to the ice hockey and I can't think of a time I've ever been more bored, terrible sport. 

Eh? I went to ice hockey in Washington and have been to Braehead a few times and it's been great. I wouldn't want to see it every week (same goes for all American sports) but it was good fun. Same goes for the baseball and basketball (admittedly that was the Scottish Rocks) games I've been to.

Worst American sport I've seen was the Canadian equivalent of the NFL last month. Dire stuff.

Edited by Stu

27 minutes ago, Stu said:

Eh? I went to ice hockey in Washington and have been to Braehead a few times and it's been great. I wouldn't want to see it every week (same goes for all American sports) but it was good fun. Same goes for the baseball and basketball (admittedly that was the Scottish Rocks) games I've been to.

Worst American sport I've seen was the Canadian equivalent of the NFL last month. Dire stuff.

We went to an Islanders game while in NY and it was terrible, maybe just me but it just seems like a awfu sport with a terrible atmosphere, certainly wouldn't rush back again. 

I will be heading over in the Summer for my second time.  It will coincide with the US Open.  Going to go across the for the quarter finals, spend a few days in Atlantic City and then back to New York for the Men's final and another couple of days.

Hoping Trump gets in so the dollar goes down!

I was there in 2013 from Semi final on wards, hoping to catch Murray in action.  He got pumped out by Wawrinka in the quarters in straights sets, so saved myself a small fortune on tickets if he'd made it through.  From the semi's and the final the tickets were going for ridiculous money, so I ended up watching Nadal beat Djokovic in big sports bar in times square.

Deciding to just get a Yellow Cab when arrive at airport hopefully get a good run in traffic and lower fare. The fares seem to change each day.  Read online if you ask driver to go grand central way it avoids tolls. Anyone know? Would need to look again see if can come across it.

i have returning flight from JFK. Is this airport flat rate? $52?

"
  • Onscreen rate is ‘Rate #02 – JFK Airport.’
  • This is a flat fare of $52 plus tolls, the 50-cent MTA State Surcharge, the 30-cent Improvement Surcharge, and $4.50 rush hour surcharge (4 PM to 8 PM weekdays, excluding legal holidays). 
  • Passenger is responsible for paying all tolls.  "

12 hours ago, Yonas said:

Deciding to just get a Yellow Cab when arrive at airport hopefully get a good run in traffic and lower fare. The fares seem to change each day.  Read online if you ask driver to go grand central way it avoids tolls. Anyone know? Would need to look again see if can come across it.

i have returning flight from JFK. Is this airport flat rate? $52?

"
  • Onscreen rate is ‘Rate #02 – JFK Airport.’
  • This is a flat fare of $52 plus tolls, the 50-cent MTA State Surcharge, the 30-cent Improvement Surcharge, and $4.50 rush hour surcharge (4 PM to 8 PM weekdays, excluding legal holidays). 
  • Passenger is responsible for paying all tolls.  "

Got a yellow cab the first time I went to New York, pretty sure it was around $70 with all other charges etc. Can't remember if that was with a tip or not. 

Not sure about avoiding the tolls stuff though sorry.

https://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=NY&from=LaGuardia+Airport%2C+Queens%2C+NY%2C+United+States&to=Hudson+New+York%2C+West+58th+Street%2C+New+York%2C+NY%2C+United+States&fromCoord=40.7769271,-73.87396590000003&toCoord=40.7682395,-73.98491469999999

checking fare on there and it ranges from $39-$82 for the trip. It's about 2pm so hopefully traffic isn't bad and get a good run.

the trip to jfk seems to cost more when I'm leaving. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Looking at maybe New York for a 5/7 night holiday in April for my girlfriend's birthday. What areas are the best to stay (I know it'll vary between people but just wondering where people stayed and why)?

I stayed at pod 39 based on recommendations here and while the room wasn't anything special the location was perfect. 5 minute walk from Grant Central Station and really near Chrysler building and Empire State and not far from Times Square. Would say try and get somewhere near Grand Central if not there.

7 hours ago, sparky88 said:

I have no idea why anyone would spend nearly $100 on a cab from JFK.

My cab was $58 to JFK from West 58th Street they are fixed price if you state when you get in the cab. If driver fails just hope out or the meter will run.

10 hours ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Because supershuttle is horrific.

I've used them in three different cities and not really had any problems - unless them turning up rather early at the hotel can count as a problem! Was particularly glad I used them in DC when the driver decided to use a hardshoulder to get past the traffic on the freeway :lol:

Stay anywhere in Manhatten. The subway is great and you're not far away from any attraction using that. We usually stay midtown, two hotels have been on 50th st and 34th st.

Why would anyone use supershuttle or a can from the airport when the subway is so cheap and easy? Madness. 

I'm looking at going to NYC for my fourth time December 2017. 

1 hour ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Stay anywhere in Manhatten. The subway is great and you're not far away from any attraction using that. We usually stay midtown, two hotels have been on 50th st and 34th st.

Why would anyone use supershuttle or a can from the airport when the subway is so cheap and easy? Madness. 

I'm looking at going to NYC for my fourth time December 2017. 

If you have gone thrice already then what activities did you do differently each time around? I went and did most the obvious stuff but not sure what i would do if i went back, would love to see it at Christmas time i suppose. 

5 minutes ago, throbber said:

If you have gone thrice already then what activities did you do differently each time around? I went and did most the obvious stuff but not sure what i would do if i went back, would love to see it at Christmas time i suppose. 

It's a massive city. Haven't even explored nearly enough of it yet. Still to do a lot of Brooklyn and go out and see Queens. Also do lots of eating. Like to try out different restaurants. Will be going with my mum this time who has never been so will be back to the usual tourist things which I don't mind. 

2 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

It's a massive city. Haven't even explored nearly enough of it yet. Still to do a lot of Brooklyn and go out and see Queens. Also do lots of eating. Like to try out different restaurants. Will be going with my mum this time who has never been so will be back to the usual tourist things which I don't mind. 

Yeah - i don't think i could ever get tired of it but have other places i would like to go on holiday to before i go back. I would recommend a baseball game if you haven't been to one of them in your previous trips, was great fun.

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:01, Honest_Man#1 said:

Looking at maybe New York for a 5/7 night holiday in April for my girlfriend's birthday. What areas are the best to stay (I know it'll vary between people but just wondering where people stayed and why)?

If you're there for that long I don't think it'll matter too much where you stay cos you'll be out and about every day so you'll end up going to most places.

I stayed on 38th Street, really handy for the shopping on 34th street and 5th and 6th Avenues. Central Park, Empire State, Grand Central, Times Square are all really close. But we also spent a fair bit of time Downtown which is the area for WTC memorial, ferry to Staten Island, Brooklyn Bridge.

Worth looking at a map and seeing where certain landmarks or tourist attractions are compared to where you're thinking of staying but chances are you won't be spending that much time in the hotel as there's so much to see and do.

We stayed at the shoreham hotel on W55 which was perfect for all the major attractions and not too expensive either and the rooms were nice, I stayed the other side of Times Square before that and TBH anywhere in Manhattan will be good and easy accessible to the major touristy stuff, make sure to eat at Keane's steak house, it's crazy expensive but it's one of the best steaks I've ever had.