The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

11 hours ago, Yonas said:

Is the Madison Square Garden Tour worth doing?

i have read there is not but of a tour in terms of seeing back stage in dressing rooms etc.

any other recommendations on things to do?

I did the MSG tour and found it really interesting. Some of the access is limited depending on the event that is on that night, and some areas are completely restricted, but to be honest, I found it a bit quick. I'd have preferred more time to wander round the various levels where they have the displays. If you are going to a game as well, take the chance to move round the building and see them all.

I also did the tour of Radio City Music Hall, which was very good.

New York knicks are playing in the evening when I was going to take the tour so it maybe limited. Would make more sense attending knicks match?

only got a couple of days stop over so would like to make the most of the days.

Just got back from NYC last week. Loved every minute of it. There's so much to see and do, I advise anyone to have a plan before they go.

Airtrain and subway from JFK was really simple.

You do a lot of walking as the subway is good for going North to South in Manhattan but isn't really like London where you can go skip across town that easily.

As well as all the obvious first time visit things (Central Park, Grand Central, Broadway, 5th Avenue, Staten Island Ferry, Brooklyn Bridge etc) I would total recommend getting the cable car across to Roosevelt Island. You go from the hectic streets of Manhattan to a chilled out wee park over the river. There's good views from the cable car and from Roosevelt Island. I also went up the new One World Observatory, hadn't planned on it but there was no queue when we went past so nipped in. Great views of the city, it is extremely high up. Didn't bother going up Empire State or Rockefeller.

The High Line was also a cool walk to do in the evening.

One thing I noticed was we had to have a plan for where to eat in the evening. I had thought we could just wander about and come across a few places but it was never that easy. I think a lot of restaurants are part of hotels but you don't really see them as well if you're walking past. Could be we were just looking in the wrong places. Grabbing a bagel for breakfast and pizza slice for lunch was great though.

11 hours ago, BigTidy said:

Just got back from NYC last week. Loved every minute of it. There's so much to see and do, I advise anyone to have a plan before they go.

Airtrain and subway from JFK was really simple.

You do a lot of walking as the subway is good for going North to South in Manhattan but isn't really like London where you can go skip across town that easily.

As well as all the obvious first time visit things (Central Park, Grand Central, Broadway, 5th Avenue, Staten Island Ferry, Brooklyn Bridge etc) I would total recommend getting the cable car across to Roosevelt Island. You go from the hectic streets of Manhattan to a chilled out wee park over the river. There's good views from the cable car and from Roosevelt Island. I also went up the new One World Observatory, hadn't planned on it but there was no queue when we went past so nipped in. Great views of the city, it is extremely high up. Didn't bother going up Empire State or Rockefeller.

The High Line was also a cool walk to do in the evening.

One thing I noticed was we had to have a plan for where to eat in the evening. I had thought we could just wander about and come across a few places but it was never that easy. I think a lot of restaurants are part of hotels but you don't really see them as well if you're walking past. Could be we were just looking in the wrong places. Grabbing a bagel for breakfast and pizza slice for lunch was great though.

I was looking into air train as very cheap compared to other ways. Good to know it is straight forward enough. I'm not sure which airport I will be at to start due to the flight being book by the company I'm working with.

im staying at Hudson hotel at Central park so trying to make plans before going.

plans so far

visit Central Park, Empire State building, Times Square etc

attend Knicks vs Dallas Mavs.

christmas shopping 

only have two and a half days so will be filled.

7 hours ago, Yonas said:

I was looking into air train as very cheap compared to other ways. Good to know it is straight forward enough. I'm not sure which airport I will be at to start due to the flight being book by the company I'm working with.

im staying at Hudson hotel at Central park so trying to make plans before going.

plans so far

visit Central Park, Empire State building, Times Square etc

attend Knicks vs Dallas Mavs.

christmas shopping 

only have two and a half days so will be filled.

The Air Train takes you to a subway stop, then you get the subway the rest of the way in. Air Train costs $5 then it's $2.50 for the subway.

Worth looking at a map and seeing what you can do in the one area. For instance, if you're starting at Central Park you could walk down to Grand Central, then on to the ESB back up 5th Avenue for shopping and stop off at the Rockefeller which has the big Christmas tree. MSG is on 34th street, same as ESB. If you're coming out at the end of the basketball, walk up Broadway and through Times Square at night. it's so easy to navigate using the street grid system.

I'd think about what building you want to go up. I think ESB is the most expensive but the viewing platform isn't that great. Everyone told me to do the Rockefeller instead. Ended up doing the One World Observatory, I think it's about the same price as the Rockefeller.

On 27 September 2016 at 05:46, BigTidy said:

The Air Train takes you to a subway stop, then you get the subway the rest of the way in. Air Train costs $5 then it's $2.50 for the subway.

Worth looking at a map and seeing what you can do in the one area. For instance, if you're starting at Central Park you could walk down to Grand Central, then on to the ESB back up 5th Avenue for shopping and stop off at the Rockefeller which has the big Christmas tree. MSG is on 34th street, same as ESB. If you're coming out at the end of the basketball, walk up Broadway and through Times Square at night. it's so easy to navigate using the street grid system.

I'd think about what building you want to go up. I think ESB is the most expensive but the viewing platform isn't that great. Everyone told me to do the Rockefeller instead. Ended up doing the One World Observatory, I think it's about the same price as the Rockefeller.

Great help.

i will have a look online for the views and cost of each. I plan to walk around most places but really depends on weather.

I'm now arriving in La Guardia airport. Just looking at the best way to get into the centre. 

NYCairport shuttle can get me to Bryant Park for $15 which isn't bad but shuttle reviews haven't been great. Opinions?

taxi will be expensive midday when I arrive. ideally don't want to drag my luggage to the subway if possible.

12 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

We did a shuttle from Newark, it was absolutely terrible, supershuttle, made about 5 stops prior to us, driver was shocking and they were 1.5hrs late.

So might save money but going to lose time in NY?

hard to decide the best option for myself really.

Dial7 was $40 for the transfer to hotel. Will wait just now and decide then when I have a better idea of finances for the trip.

thinking it might be a taxi job and don't want to be waiting a long time for a shuttle to arrive.

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of New York question and kind of generic travel but I’ll go in here.

My girlfriend and I are planning to go to New York and we have a large travel window in that we can go any time between start of Feb and end of March next year. I’m aware of skyscanner to check to see when the cheapest flights are, is there a similar site for hotels and we can try and match them up, or do people from experience know when it’s likely to be cheaper for the same quality of hotel? I’d guess the earlier in the year once you’re past the New Year week the cheaper but that is just a guess.

Edited by Fuctifano

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/10/2016 at 13:00, Fuctifano said:

Kind of New York question and kind of generic travel but I’ll go in here.

My girlfriend and I are planning to go to New York and we have a large travel window in that we can go any time between start of Feb and end of March next year. I’m aware of skyscanner to check to see when the cheapest flights are, is there a similar site for hotels and we can try and match them up, or do people from experience know when it’s likely to be cheaper for the same quality of hotel? I’d guess the earlier in the year once you’re past the New Year week the cheaper but that is just a guess.

We're now booked up for this and I've had a skim through this thread. I've been but 8 years ago and she hasn't been before so I'm happy to do all the obvious tourist attractions, got a fairly rough plan formulated but don't want a military style itinerary.

One of the things I didn't do last time was Madison Square Garden- the ice hockey is on when we're there rather than the basketball. I don't mind ice hockey but I'm not sure I like it to the tune of $150+ a ticket (and that's the non stubhub prices). I'm assuming that price won't come down closer to the time even if NY are out of the playoff running as there'll be thousands of other tourists waiting to buy.

I'd probably prefer just to do the MSG tour on a non-gameday unless the hockey is amazing? Is the tour any good? Think the only other sporting venues I've toured were La Bombonera and Munich Olympic which were decent.

Edited by Fuctifano

You might be OK for tickets at that time. When I was there last year, the Rangers were in the play offs and you couldn't get a ticket anywhere. Even my niece who stays there and has good connections had no joy getting her hands on them.

I know what you are saying about not wanting a military operation, but our last visit (mind you, there were 8 of us that time) we planned our days around getting a timed ticket for one venue and building our day round that. For example, we booked the One World Observatory for 3pm. So in the morning we did the Brooklyn Bridge, did Wall Street, WTC, went to see my niece at Battery Park, had lunch at Brrokfield Place before our trip up the tower. It really is better planning your days and packing as much in around the same area as you can.

18 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

We're now booked up for this and I've had a skim through this thread. I've been but 8 years ago and she hasn't been before so I'm happy to do all the obvious tourist attractions, got a fairly rough plan formulated but don't want a military style itinerary.

One of the things I didn't do last time was Madison Square Garden

I'm pretty sure we've discussed MSG on The NYC thread before.  The best gig of my life was seeing The Who there in 2004.  Wish tae f**k I'd been able to watch boxing there when it was the veritable amphitheater.  Imagine watching Ali there in his pomp?

My take?  Go to an event otherwise it's just a big, empty space.

Edited by The_Kincardine

I've been there three times now and haven't seen everything yet. Like you, keep going with different folk and end up doing the same stuff again. If you get the chance do try and spend a bit of time wandering around Battery Park, it's relatively quiet with some lovely views across the Hudson, that Brookfield Place is great for high end shopping with some lovely restaurants and there is a spanking huge new underground mall next to WTC. I love it down there.

Go see the nets at the Barclays centre if the Knicks aren't playing if you like basketball that is, we went to the ice hockey and I can't think of a time I've ever been more bored, terrible sport.