The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

It's a helluva town, so I hear.

Now, the administrators of the site have been good enough to set up this new forum for us so please let us make use of it. And what better place to begin with than the heart of Western Civilisation itself, New York City.

Please place attractions, eateries, advice, warnings and anything else relevant or irrelevant in here.

I'm going to New York next month! The third time in 3 years.

For first timers I'd recommended applying for a Big Apple Greeter... http://bigapplegreeter.org

I'd also point out that 99% of apartment rentals are illegal for less than 30 days and would strongly advise to never book one, always book a hotel!

I'm going to New York next month! The third time in 3 years.

For first timers I'd recommended applying for a Big Apple Greeter... http://bigapplegreeter.org

I'd also point out that 99% of apartment rentals are illegal for less than 30 days and would strongly advise to never book one, always book a hotel!

Thank you, mate. I hadn't heard of the Big Apple Greeter. Have you used them before?

Please place attractions, eateries, advice, warnings and anything else relevant or irrelevant in here.

If folk have specific questions about their trips it's fine, P&B have posters who have traveled the globe.

Otherwise go and buy a book. This is not "The Lonely Planet".

Edited by The_Kincardine

Thank you, mate. I hadn't heard of the Big Apple Greeter. Have you used them before?

Yes. Last year. Our greeter Jay, an older gentleman who was retired and used his spare time helping tourists was our greeter. He spent about 4 hours with us and showed us around midtown. He recommended some good restaurants and other things to do on our trip and just generally talked about the city he lives in and loves. It was a great experience and it's free! We did donate when we got home mind you.

Yes. Last year. Our greeter Jay, an older gentleman who was retired and used his spare time helping tourists was our greeter. He spent about 4 hours with us and showed us around midtown. He recommended some good restaurants and other things to do on our trip and just generally talked about the city he lives in and loves. It was a great experience and it's free! We did donate when we got home mind you.

That was rude. You should have mugged him and nicked his Metrocard. It's expected.

Nice one. Would you recommend it then?

How would people recommend getting from JFK to the Upper West Side?

Thanks.

Get a taxi

I always go with empty suitcase and fill it when im there,in fact that goes anytime im in the states for work or pleasure

There so much to do in NY so they only thing i would say you have to do is take in a broadway show while your there

Thanks.

Train. The rail network in network is immense and so easy to follow.

I went to New York with seriously high expectations. It was better than anything I could have imagined.

Thanks.

I've used Super Shuttle for getting two and from the airport the few times I've been in the states. Think it cost $10-$15 dollars each way but takes you directly to your hotel. Can take a while though as you'll be sharing it with four or five other folk.

Edited by Stu

Get a taxi

I was in NYC for three and a half days in September. I never used a taxi, the road traffic looked mental and too stop-start with pedestrians crossing when they shouldn't etc. The train and especially the subway were so easy and cheap to use.

The best thing I did there was a dinner cruise down the Hudson, with the sun setting over Jersey and later going under the illuminated bridges.

post-22987-0-23185200-1390481968_thumb.j

I was in NYC for three and a half days in September. I never used a taxi, the road traffic looked mental and too stop-start with pedestrians crossing when they shouldn't etc. The train and especially the subway were so easy and cheap to use.

The best thing I did there was a dinner cruise down the Hudson, with the sun setting over Jersey and later going under the illuminated bridges.

attachicon.gif988739_10151907126466221_1852202415_n.jpg

Ha! The biggest problem I've had in the States while walking about is crossing when the white man (not green for some reason) appears and then being rather bemused when cars suddenly start coming round the corner.

I've used Super Shuttle for getting two and from the airport the few times I've been in the states. Think it cost $10-$15 dollars each way but takes you directly to your hotel. Can take a while though as you'll be sharing it with four or five other folk.

I used Super Shuttle in Washington before and it only picked up 1 other person from her house before heading to Washington National Airport. Which was grand as our plane left from Washington Dulles. The driver was great about it, said it happened all the time as the booking people sometimes forget some places have several airports. He just took us to Dulles himself.

Didn't find the taxis in NY aren't that great. Subway was OK, provided you watched out for the express trains that go into the suburbs although some stations felt a bit dodgy at times. Buses were a decent way to see the city as you travelled through but slow!

Subway is fantastic and cheap! Buy a week ticket, it's a bargain.

We have booked some fantastic restaurants this time around. Daniel, Del Posto, Quality Meats to name a few. We are also going on a food walking tour.

The Tenement Museum is good and if you were to pick either Top of The Rock or Empire State Building it would be TOTR every time.

Go to central park and spend hours there exploring. Have lunch at the Boathouse.good food with excellent setting.

We took a cab from JFK, didn't book anything, walk straight out the terminal there is a line and a guy gives you a ticket to show it's a legit cab, it's a flat rate from JFK to Manhattan, roughly $55 from memory, took us straight to hotel in midtown, the train to JFK was off so we couldn't use it, the subway is excellent but did fall into the express train problem and ended up 100 streets beyond our destination, wasn't an issue tho just got the next train back.

Only advice I would give is make sure you get a yellow cab rather than any other cab a they are a rip/illegal!

Was there in November. Second time Iv been. Getting from JFK is quite easy. Taxi which I believe is about $50 dollars but we hopped on a ropey looking bus and it cost about $7 if i recall. Dropped us off at times square quite close to our hotel. Anyway there are a few options so wouldn't worry if you don't get something sorted up front. Getting around the city is quite easy. The first time we primarily used the subway which was easy and quick. Last time we used the tour buses and taxis. Good thing about the buses is they stop at every attraction and the guides are very helpful. Taxis are not as expensive as I thought and are fine at night when the roads are a little less manic.

Plenty places to eat so pointless trying to recommend somewhere when there are thousands of places to go. Breakfast was my favorite meal over there. The delis are top notch.

Done all the big attractions and they are all good in their own way. Recommend hiring a bicycle and cycling in central park if the weather is good. The place is massive.

Can the last New York Topic not be joined with this one? Be quite handy to keep it all together? I got some great tips from the last topic. Hoping to go over within the next couple of years. Is 3 nights long enough?