The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

5 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

When was the last Islanders game you went to?  They  abandoned the shithole that was the Nassau Coliseum in 2015 and now share the Barclay's centre with the NBA's Brooklyn Nets which by all reports is a much nicer (and easier to get to) arena

They are moving some games back to Nassau from next season though.

• 1 month later...

Going with the other half next November for 5 nights. the mother n sisters in law are tagging along. been buzzing since we decided to go and that was last year. We have hotel money put to the side saved up and we already have $1600 saved up with 17 months left so looking at taking $3000.  Got a list of where we want to go and what we want to do the usual tourist stuff and I've thrown In a few sports things: Yankee's stadium, MSG sports tour and the Metlife stadium. Going shopping at Woodbury too and I cannot wait for that, deals galore. The last time my missus and her mum went the deal was 2 pairs of converse for $30 and similar just loads of outlets and stuff you can't get here.

The link I've put up Is free things to do In NY.

Gonna do the tour of the federal bank's gold vault.  Ride the Staten Island Ferry.  The 9/11 memorial and The Brooklyn Bridge.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/free-activities-nyc

I am heading there on 17th June - just the 20 hour trip from Jakarta - Edinburgh first...

We have a 6 and a 4 year old so been looking for things to do that will suit them - advice we have been given is to buy a cheap stroller for the little one as there is a lot of walking. 

This is a useful link with idea if you are going with kids:

https://freetoursbyfoot.com/visit-new-york-with-kids/

On 6/5/2018 at 23:39, FifeArab said:

I've thrown In a few sports things: Yankee's stadium, MSG sports tour and the Metlife stadium.

Gonna do the tour of the federal bank's gold vault.  Ride the Staten Island Ferry.  The 9/11 memorial and The Brooklyn Bridge.

You may well be able to combine the two.  I had a fortnight in NYC a few years back and, on a Saturday, took the Staten Island Ferry, had a homestyle lunch in a bar just north of the ferry terminal and then watched the Staten Island Yankees play baseball.  The stadium is close to where the ferry docks.

A really enjoyable day out.

Edited by The_Kincardine

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 02:39, FifeArab said:

Going with the other half next November for 5 nights. the mother n sisters in law are tagging along. been buzzing since we decided to go and that was last year. We have hotel money put to the side saved up and we already have $1600 saved up with 17 months left so looking at taking $3000.  Got a list of where we want to go and what we want to do the usual tourist stuff and I've thrown In a few sports things: Yankee's stadium, MSG sports tour and the Metlife stadium. Going shopping at Woodbury too and I cannot wait for that, deals galore. The last time my missus and her mum went the deal was 2 pairs of converse for $30 and similar just loads of outlets and stuff you can't get here.

The link I've put up Is free things to do In NY.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/free-activities-nyc

I would recommend that, as soon as tickets go online (which is generally a good 4 or 5 months in advance), you book the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island tour (with Crown access, which is only an extra $3 - the view isn't all that spectacular but it is a good experience and only takes an extra 20 minutes).  It is the best value tourist attraction in NYC (if not the world) and the ferry ride there and back is better than the Staten Island Ferry (although the Staten Island Ferry is great, particularly at sunset, and there is an off-licence in the port so you can swig a lukewarm Bud Light whilst the sun sets, if you're into that kind of thing).

Metlife Stadium is brilliant.  Been to both Jets and Giants games in the past.  Only tip would be to get the train instead of the bus because traffic can be insane (especially if the game is against the Patriots or another "local" team).  I've also walked across the Brooklyn Bridge to the Barclay's Centre for the Nets basketball.  A great evening.

My other tip would be to get the subway up to 112th Street and walk south through the whole length of Central Park.  There are plenty of great spots to stop along the way, including the Loeb Boathouse or the Tavern on the Green in the Park itself, also the roof terrace at the Empire Hotel (yes, I only visited it because of Gossip Girl...) is pretty cool and reasonably priced for what it is.

The High Line has amazing views and is well worth a couple of hours.

As others have said, subway is great.  The "Express" trains skip half the stations so, unlike the tube in London, you can move a long way pretty quickly in NYC.  Avoid taxis like the plague.

You may well be able to combine the two.  I had a fortnight in NYC a few years back and, on a Saturday, took the Staten Island Ferry, had a homestyle lunch in a bar just north of the ferry terminal and then watched the Staten Island Yankees play baseball.  The stadium is close to where the ferry docks.
A really enjoyable day out.

If he’s going in november its out of baseball season, SI Yankees are short season (may-august) and the MLB is April to October. It is on my to do list to go to one of their games!

• 1 month later...
planning to go end of november this year , never been before, what are is the best to stay in? i'm genuinely looking to be as much of a tourist as possible since it's my first time going
Times square

Hopefully going over on my own for a wedding in June next year, 2 weeks before my own wedding - which is going down well as you can imagine! Will be heading upstate for the first time so quite looking forward to that but going to have a day either side of my couple of days upstate in the city on my own - which could be fun!

We'll then be going back 3 weeks later for the first few days of a honeymoon  before flying West.  

Still the best city in the world IMO. 

9 hours ago, DanMc99 said:

planning to go end of november this year , never been before, what are is the best to stay in? i'm genuinely looking to be as much of a tourist as possible since it's my first time going

The two hotels I would recommend are both in Times Square. The Hilton Double Tree was very good but the Marriott Marquis was absolutely outstanding. Obviously staying in the vicinity does come at a price though. There are loads of others around there, have a look online, but that is the place to be.

There are a few hotels down round 34th Street and the Empire State Building that look good, stayed in the Hampton by Hilton one time and it was fine but room had a shit view of an alley

Best bet is to look around and see what you fancy. There are literally thousands of hotels to suit every budget throughout the city. But plan it carefully would be my honest advice.

On 7/24/2018 at 14:01, DanMc99 said:

I have stayed in a few hotels and have found that, if you want to really make the most of your trip and see as much as you can, the most important single feature is proximity to an underground station.  I generally stay near Central Park, as I absolutely love the place, but have also loved staying in Times Square/Broadway area.

On 7/25/2018 at 00:11, Musketeer Gripweed said:

There are a few hotels down round 34th Street and the Empire State Building that look good, stayed in the Hampton by Hilton one time and it was fine but room had a shit view of an alley

Go for a pint at the rooftop bar of www.230-fifth.com/  and you'll very shortly forget the view from your hotel room.

On 24/07/2018 at 21:11, Musketeer Gripweed said:

The two hotels I would recommend are both in Times Square. The Hilton Double Tree was very good but the Marriott Marquis was absolutely outstanding. Obviously staying in the vicinity does come at a price though. There are loads of others around there, have a look online, but that is the place to be.

Best bet is to look around and see what you fancy. There are literally thousands of hotels to suit every budget throughout the city. But plan it carefully would be my honest advice.

i've seen a few hiltons that look pretty good and not too expensive, cheers.