The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

No United Airlines flights between Glasgow and New York (EWR) until May next year as United have pulled their winter service.

Announced back in the summer, this is the first time their winter Glasgow service has been pulled since the route launched 19 years ago.  The Edinburgh route is still in operation over the winter.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/glasgow-flights-to-new-york-to-be-grounded-this-winter-1-4501878

Only two flights currently showing between Glasgow and New York (EWR) until next May, both this month with Jet 2, departing 23 & 30 Nov.  Currently £260 return for the flight going out on 23 Nov and returning 28 Nov.

Not read the whole thread so apologies if this has been answered.

What is the Norweigan Air flight from Edinburgh to Steward International like? I know the airport in the US is a bit out of town but we might take a day or two to make our way in to New York. Or, how easy will it be to get to Brooklyn (got family living there) from the airport (with a 6 and 4 year old)?

Cheers for any information.

It's not really a bit out of town, its 70 miles away.

I looked at it for last trip and concluded I couldn't be arsed.

You can get a bus which will take about 2 hours to Manhattan.

The train requires a transfer from airport to station and then goes to grand central so you would need to change to Brooklyn. 

As a younger guy I would have done all that to save a few quid. With two young kids? Only you know.

We were quoted $200 for private hire into Mahattan so $400 round trip with 4 hours of driving we decided not to. Depends how much you are saving.

• 3 weeks later...

We're heading tonight, can't wait. Second Anniversary yesterday, so booked it under the guise of that (we did the same last year), but I also really wanted to go to the Lomachenko v Rigondeaux fight at MSG on Saturday night, so dual bonus.

Booked a table at Gabriel Kreuther for tomorrow night, which is ranked #2 in the City on TA (wanted Daniel which is #1, but only table was 10pm and bit late after travelling all night before), has anyone ever been? Going to try and get to a show on Friday night too, but not booked anything yet, anyone have any recommendations?

I fucking love New York, some place.

15 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

We're heading tonight, can't wait. Second Anniversary yesterday, so booked it under the guise of that (we did the same last year), but I also really wanted to go to the Lomachenko v Rigondeaux fight at MSG on Saturday night, so dual bonus.

Booked a table at Gabriel Kreuther for tomorrow night, which is ranked #2 in the City on TA (wanted Daniel which is #1, but only table was 10pm and bit late after travelling all night before), has anyone ever been? Going to try and get to a show on Friday night too, but not booked anything yet, anyone have any recommendations?

Haven't been to either but the prix fixe at both look pretty special.

1 hour ago, J_Stewart said:

We went to see Wicked which was excellent and easy to get tickets for.

1 minute ago, GingerSaint said:

We went to see Wicked which was excellent and easy to get tickets for.

We've previously been to see Of Mice and Men (James Franco, Chris O'Dowd 7 Leighton Meester)  and Aladdin (saved some old guys life in the concession stand by giving him CPR, which was exciting/terrifying), both of which were tremendous. Went to see A Christmas Carol (Rhys Ifans, also brilliant) in London a few weeks ago and I think I definitely prefer plays to musicals. Heard Wicked is brilliant though, so might be an option yet. Probably just see what's available on the day.

Had a great time in NYC this week. Never been this close to Christmas so was extra special. Even sat on Santa's knee at Macy's Christmas Wonderland [emoji6]

[emoji318][emoji533][emoji312][emoji97][emoji97][emoji97][emoji562][emoji562][emoji562][emoji562][emoji562]

• 2 weeks later...
Not read the whole thread so apologies if this has been answered.
What is the Norweigan Air flight from Edinburgh to Steward International like? I know the airport in the US is a bit out of town but we might take a day or two to make our way in to New York. Or, how easy will it be to get to Brooklyn (got family living there) from the airport (with a 6 and 4 year old)?
Cheers for any information.

Just spied this thread now. Managed to get return flights from Edinburgh to Stewart for £204 in September for a family event.
Flight was fine and the transfer to/from Manhattan was very comfortable - probably closer to 80-90 mins than 2 hours at a reasonable cost of $20.

Noted that the luggage wasn't weighed on the way out but (with most folk travelling hand luggage only) everything was weighed on the return and they were ultra strict on the 10kg limit. Saw quite a few screaming matches with one family in particular having to shell out $60 (?) per case x 4 for being over the weight.

I'll definitely use again if prices remain low.

I went to Providence from Edinburgh with Norwegian and they were fine.  Now granted, it's fairly cheap so the planes are basic, there's no in-flight entertainment and the food is a bit lunchboxy but considering it was only a six hour flight it didn't bother me.  It would be like going with Easyjet or Flybe but with a longer journey.