The Economic Case for an Independent Scotland

HardyBamboo

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think the unionist frenzy over Osborne and the possibility of ruling out currency union with an independent Scotland seem to be ignoring the elephant in the room - England and the rUK.

How in any way shape or form does ending a currency union with Scotland benefit them?

Think the unionist frenzy over Osborne and the possibility of ruling out currency union with an independent Scotland seem to be ignoring the elephant in the room - England and the rUK.

How in any way shape or form does ending a currency union with Scotland benefit them?

Why does it have to benefit them?

Noticed Iain Macwhirter is on Scotland tonight at the moment.

Thought this article by him regarding currency was interesting.

"But the next time you hear people assert that Scotland would become an economic basket case if it wasn't for the beneficence of the UK Treasury and the Bank of England, invite them to take a reality check. Countries such as Scotland are what the new Europe is all about. An independent Scotland would not be cutting itself off, whether it kept the pound, adopted the euro or had its own nominal currency pegged to either. There are many ways to skin the monetary cat. It just depends who's holding the knife."

Noticed Iain Macwhirter is on Scotland tonight at the moment.

Thought this article by him regarding currency was interesting.

"But the next time you hear people assert that Scotland would become an economic basket case if it wasn't for the beneficence of the UK Treasury and the Bank of England, invite them to take a reality check. Countries such as Scotland are what the new Europe is all about. An independent Scotland would not be cutting itself off, whether it kept the pound, adopted the euro or had its own nominal currency pegged to either. There are many ways to skin the monetary cat. It just depends who's holding the knife."

I dare say he's right but is it not the general view that if the SNP were to announce anything other than the pound it wouldn't be great for their votes?

I see the Nat fallback position is now "This is great news.. it's BETTER if we're using the pound outside a currency union".

In which case, why was this not the White Paper proposal from the SNP?

Because not everybody on the Yes side agree with absolutely everything in the WP. I'd have thought that would be obvious to anybody with an ounce of common sense.

On Scotland tonight the SNP chap stated that if Scotland weren't getting their share of assets (the pound) they wouldn't take their share of liabilities (the debt)

I think this is based on the fact that Scotland wouldn't be legally obliged to take on debt. How would this then pan out with other things that they are not legally entitled to eg military assets?

On Scotland tonight the SNP chap stated that if Scotland weren't getting their share of assets (the pound) they wouldn't take their share of liabilities (the debt)

I think this is based on the fact that Scotland wouldn't be legally obliged to take on debt. How would this then pan out with other things that they are not legally entitled to eg military assets?

Currency is not an asset. It's a means of putting value on things.

You can't end something which hasn't started.

Because not everybody on the Yes side agree with absolutely everything in the WP. I'd have thought that would be obvious to anybody with an ounce of common sense.

Where did I say "Yes". I said the Nat fallback position - from the SNP fluffers on here.

Where did I say "Yes". I said the Nat fallback position - from the SNP fluffers on here.

Once we're independent I've no doubt our own currency will eventually be the desired currency of the majority.

Archived