The West Wing

airdrieman

Studio 60 is quite funny but it's not as funny as 30 Rock which I guess is why is was cancelled after only one season. I quite liked the Newsroom tbh. Sports Night is quite interesting but hard to find (I have a DVD I got on import which I can only watch on one laptop that doesn't seem to block region 1 DVDs) and quite amusing in a dry, almost British way. The West Wing has a few quite funny moments in it as you work your way through, especially when Josh has to brief the press.

I'll have a look at Studio 60 have seen it mentioned.

Thought Josh was a good character but Rob Lowe was awful imo.For no particular reason I stopped watching TWW around 2/3rds of the way through season 2 can't see me going back to it tbh. 

Rob Lowe gets less and less screen time over the series and eventually leaves midway through series 4 (to go do the Lyon's Den which was cancelled midway through season one and never actually got fully shown in the US) so of he's putting you off there's light at the end of that particular tunnel. The end of season two is also incredible - the last two episodes in particular - although it veers off course a little after that and it's mostly just good rather than great with the odd outstanding episode after that. 

Rob Lowe gets less and less screen time over the series and eventually leaves midway through series 4 (to go do the Lyon's Den which was cancelled midway through season one and never actually got fully shown in the US) so of he's putting you off there's light at the end of that particular tunnel. The end of season two is also incredible - the last two episodes in particular - although it veers off course a little after that and it's mostly just good rather than great with the odd outstanding episode after that. 

Was Lowe not in the huff because he was supposed to be cast as the president (I may have made that up but I don't think so)?

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Was Lowe not in the huff because he was supposed to be cast as the president (I may have made that up but I don't think so)?

No, he was never to be the President (he was far too young for a start). Rob Lowe's Sam was meant to be the main 'star' of the show - his was the first name in the credits before Moira Kelly then the rest in alphabetical order. Initially the show was going  to be about his relationship with Bradley Witford as Josh and the President was initially never going to be seen, a bit like the neighbour on Home Improvement but they quickly realised that would just be daft. Martin Sheen was brought in as a recurring character who would be in maybe 5 or 6 episodes but in the end it was decided to shift the focus to the President and his staff. 

5 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I know Sorkin can divide opinions and I raced through Season 1 and the start of Season 2 but I think some of the things that made him popular started to wear on me after that.  Mainly the dialogue/sentimentality and the way it was shot.

No, he was never to be the President (he was far too young for a start). Rob Lowe's Sam was meant to be the main 'star' of the show - his was the first name in the credits before Moira Kelly then the rest in alphabetical order. Initially the show was going  to be about his relationship with Bradley Witford as Josh and the President was initially never going to be seen, a bit like the neighbour on Home Improvement but they quickly realised that would just be daft. Martin Sheen was brought in as a recurring character who would be in maybe 5 or 6 episodes but in the end it was decided to shift the focus to the President and his staff. 

Cheers. I stand corrected.

He was huffy though eh?

• 1 year later...

Been wanting to see The West Wing for ages as I loved The Newsroom and Studio 60. Got Sky installed last Thursday and by huge coincidence it was the day they were showing the last couple of episodes before starting again from the very beginning on Friday.

Six episodes in and it's living up to expectations. Going to be hard keeping up with it considering it's two episodes a day but definitely great TV.

Archived