The role of the media in #indyref

Todders

I'll buck the trend here just to say that I do and continue to keep an eye on BBC content just so I know what lies are being told and thus know how to counter them.

Know your enemy,

Exactly.

It's too easy to just ignore it but if you don't know the lies they spin, how can you hope to correct their lies.

We'll get there though.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edinburgh knows best.

:lol:

I'm sure any newly formed, post YES, SBC will try to be an impartial public service broadcaster unlike the BBC, so in that context you are correct, Edinburgh and the rest of Scotland will know best.

Unlike the rUK, we won't be drip fed whatever Westminster propoganda the BBC report as factual news.

Vote YES.

There's 1 big difference, we fund them to be impartial.

The SBC will have a nice ring to it.

He who pays the piper calls the tune.

Public service broadcasters mine their state subsidy and act accordingly. Don't kid yourself they are, in any circumstances, capable of being meaningfully impartial.

He who pays the piper calls the tune.

Public service broadcasters mine their state subsidy and act accordingly. Don't kid yourself they are, in any circumstances, capable of being meaningfully impartial.

You're conflating public service broadcasting with state broadcasting. The BBC is the latter dressed up as the former.

BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation - it's in the name, they are the biggest tool the No campaign have, and it's only going to get worse.

When they stopped the comments section on the Scottish political sections (getting their arses handed to them), that was enough for me. I still have a peek now and again. As they say know your enemy.

As for the papers, their deid their buying are turning their back on this editorial pish for year now. Even the No voting are cringing at someof the bile that comes from them.

This is the biggest challenge for the Yes campaign. There is several blogs & strying to spread the message, but once again (personally) I don't read newsnet that much anymore, as it's just preaching to the coverted. I don't know how to address this, it going to won or lost in this field

Watched BBC Scotland news this morning. They had a report on the referendum and showed messages from both sides of the debate - fair enough.

Then in the same report they show a clip from Ed Milliband urging Scots to vote No with no right of reply either from the Yes campaign or the SNP.

How by any stretch of the imagination can anyone believe this is not biased reporting?

It is biased, all reporting on it is, which is why yes supporters should be very angry, we are going to lose this because the public are being lied to, misled and duped, nothing in the world should make you angrier than that it is going to happen guaranteed. Then we can look forward to Boris Johnson as PM and more austerity yassss!!!!

It is biased, all reporting on it is, which is why yes supporters should be very angry, we are going to lose this because the public are being lied to, misled and duped, nothing in the world should make you angrier than that it is going to happen guaranteed. Then we can look forward to Boris Johnson as PM and more austerity yassss!!!!

The Yes message is getting over to the people even with the BBC(emphasis on the first B) peddling their propaganda. It's making as many people as possible aware that auntie beeb isn't as impartial as they make themselves out to be. A lot of people I've discussed this with just think I'm being paranoid about it and just won't believe what I am trying to tell them. The more they breach their guidelines, the more they carefully edit interviews, the more they stage manage news reports, the argument will get easier for me and others alike. People are out there keeping a very close eye on everything they do. Thankfully they are and they will being this issue to the fore.

People want facts and they want to hear the truth. IMO it will eventually end up being a good thing for Yes, the beeb taking this stance, as at some point they will go too far and really f**k it up.

I don't see it like that at all, most people just believe what they are told and are not actively seeking facts, these people make up the majority and are being fed lies every day from all sides. The yes campaign have no chance when you consider no controls all forms of information that people are given, absolutely no chance at all, IMO it won't even be close.

I don't see it like that at all, most people just believe what they are told and are not actively seeking facts, these people make up the majority and are being fed lies every day from all sides. The yes campaign have no chance when you consider no controls all forms of information that people are given, absolutely no chance at all, IMO it won't even be close.

Keep the faith brother(or sister), Keep the faith.

There is a large and very active network out there that are highlighting these issues and putting the facts across.

The unionists can only lie and scare us for so long before their bluster runs out. Whether or not enough will be convinced to vote yes remains to be seen, but I believe that there will be enough. Whatever happens, it will be close either way.

The majority of people will start taking a real interest in the summer, even in the week before the vote.

It's been said elsewhere, but the likes of Twitter and Facebook are going to be powerful tools. It's amazing how many people you can reach if you share an article. There are many, many pages, blogs and the likes from the Yes side. Remember if every Yes voter can convince one other to vote Yes then we will have a landslide victory. Obviously it isn't going to be as easy as I've just made out though(unfortunately).

The way we access information has changed beyond all recognition in recent years. The first thing most people of a certain generation access information is by logging on to their tablet, laptop or mobile. TV to them has become the background rather than the first port of call in the morning. If the internet didn't exist No would win at a canter. We have to utilise it to the max to highlight the facts and show up the mainstream media for what they are.

There is a large and very active network out there that are highlighting these issues and putting the facts across.

The unionists can only lie and scare us for so long before their bluster runs out. Whether or not enough will be convinced to vote yes remains to be seen, but I believe that there will be enough. Whatever happens, it will be close either way.

The majority of people will start taking a real interest in the summer, even in the week before the vote.

It's been said elsewhere, but the likes of Twitter and Facebook are going to be powerful tools. It's amazing how many people you can reach if you share an article. There are many, many pages, blogs and the likes from the Yes side. Remember if every Yes voter can convince one other to vote Yes then we will have a landslide victory. Obviously it isn't going to be as easy as I've just made out though(unfortunately).

The way we access information has changed beyond all recognition in recent years. The first thing most people of a certain generation access information is by logging on to their tablet, laptop or mobile. TV to them has become the background rather than the first port of call in the morning. If the internet didn't exist No would win at a canter. We have to utilise it to the max to highlight the facts and show up the mainstream media for what they are.

Aye, only the internet can save Scotland now.

Yeah but your average voter doesn't get their views from things like that, they take their opinions from mainstream media which is all completely against the yes campaign, there is no chance of a yes vote when all the sources of information are controlled by those who support the no campaign, you can't win against that.

Yeah but your average voter doesn't get their views from things like that, they take their opinions from mainstream media which is all completely against the yes campaign, there is no chance of a yes vote when all the sources of information are controlled by those who support the no campaign, you can't win against that.

The medja are to blame for yes losing - not the fact people aren't interested in voting Yes.

Called that one months ago. Nice.

The medja are to blame for yes losing - not the fact people aren't interested in voting Yes.

Called that one months ago. Nice.

I'll try asking you a question and see if you can give an honest answer. Do you believe that the media is impartial in the way it is reporting the referendum campaign? And by media I mean the mainstream media that is available to the people in Scotland

Archived