The role of the media in #indyref

Todders

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/8490-exclusive-trust-finds-bbc-scotland-guilty-of-breaking-guidelines-over-eu-indy-story

BBC Scotland have been found guilty of breaching editorial guidelines by the BBC Trust. However, it has taken a full year for the outcome of this complaint to be reached. The BBC now seen to have carte blanche to say whatever the hell they like and as long as the complaints procedure is so lengthy, there is bugger all us normal folk can do to hold them to account before the referendum.

Even though the trust found BBC Scotland guilty they did provide a nice little quote for the BBC to use in their defence which will no doubt be the only part of the finding that sees the light of day; "there was no evidence that the BBC had knowingly and materially misled audiences."

Of course it's virtually impossible to prove intent in cases like this so BBC Scotland are essentially being given the green light to continue with biased behaviour as long as it cannot be proven to be intentional. Bias via incompetence seems to be the order of the day.

I'm convinced that the ONLY thing currently holding the Yes campaign back from outright victory is the blatant dishonesty an media outlets like the BBC and the mainstream dead-tree press. Sites like Newsnet, WIngs, Bella and National Collective are great at getting our message out there but when up against an industry that is so interwoven with the political establishment (and particularly Labour in Scotland) it's difficult to see how we overcome this.

Honest and open debate and factual information is all well and good but when the masses get everything they know from the Daily Record and the six o'clock news it really does feel like pissing in the wind.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The BBC are a national disgrace, I really wasn't aware this went on to this extent until now.

I won't watch BBC political programmes any more. Newsnight, Newsnicht, Question Time, HIGNFY, Radio Scotland, etc. etc. are all as bad as each other when it comes to Scotland. I'm by no means the only person who follows that policy either.

We'll find out soon enough.

If I had my way, I would see them shot behind the chemical sheds with the Lib Dems.

I'll buck the trend here just to say that I do and continue to keep an eye on BBC content just so I know what lies are being told and thus know how to counter them.

Know your enemy,

Yep.

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/8490-exclusive-trust-finds-bbc-scotland-guilty-of-breaking-guidelines-over-eu-indy-story

BBC Scotland have been found guilty of breaching editorial guidelines by the BBC Trust. However, it has taken a full year for the outcome of this complaint to be reached. The BBC now seen to have carte blanche to say whatever the hell they like and as long as the complaints procedure is so lengthy, there is bugger all us normal folk can do to hold them to account before the referendum.

Even though the trust found BBC Scotland guilty they did provide a nice little quote for the BBC to use in their defence which will no doubt be the only part of the finding that sees the light of day; "there was no evidence that the BBC had knowingly and materially misled audiences."

Of course it's virtually impossible to prove intent in cases like this so BBC Scotland are essentially being given the green light to continue with biased behaviour as long as it cannot be proven to be intentional. Bias via incompetence seems to be the order of the day.

I'm convinced that the ONLY thing currently holding the Yes campaign back from outright victory is the blatant dishonesty an media outlets like the BBC and the mainstream dead-tree press. Sites like Newsnet, WIngs, Bella and National Collective are great at getting our message out there but when up against an industry that is so interwoven with the political establishment (and particularly Labour in Scotland) it's difficult to see how we overcome this.

Honest and open debate and factual information is all well and good but when the masses get everything they know from the Daily Record and the six o'clock news it really does feel like pissing in the wind.

Social Media, not just Wings, BFS etc, it's got to be a planned escalation on Twitter, Facebook etc, and going viral on youtube.

Youngsters don't watch the political pish or the news like your average 40 year old, most won't even watch the news.

The list below is the combined % who've never heard of the person or who've never heard them speak about independence.

Darling 25.32% Canavan 57.73% McDougall 72.81% Jenkins 72.02% Salmond 10.54% Moore 53.89% Sturgeon 21.08% Sarwar 60.1%

I would like to think BBC Scotland will be dismantled if we vote YES, they've shown themselves up to be no more than a red top rag in recent months, I choose not to buy red top rags I should be afforded the same choice post independence.

Like this stage managed bit of editing for the No team on a news bulletin after the Yes rally :rolleyes:

55 seconds in.....disgraceful

There's not another person for as far as the eye can see except that 3 second flood.

BBC Scotland have been caught out here as dishonest and far from impartial but what's new. It happens daily in terms of the news agenda and they themselves admit that until the regulated period immediately prior to polling day there's nothing to stop them churning out whatever they want- such it ever was.

It's a bit like when the gutter press splash a front page "Joe Celebrity is a paedophile" which turns out not to be true then six months later, a sixty word apology is printed on page nine and a few grand paid in damages. Did Leveson not look to change this kind of thing?

BBC Scotland is utterly lacking credibility on this issue. I can only imagine if the polls continue to narrow we can expect more utterly outlandish FUD spin as they begin to fear for their careers post 2014.

Let's face it. The Scottish media is filled with more than its fair share of Comical Alis!

BBC Scotland have been caught out here as dishonest and far from impartial but what's new. It happens daily in terms of the news agenda and they themselves admit that until the regulated period immediately prior to polling day there's nothing to stop them churning out whatever they want- such it ever was.

It's a bit like when the gutter press splash a front page "Joe Celebrity is a paedophile" which turns out not to be true then six months later, a sixty word apology is printed on page nine and a few grand paid in damages. Did Leveson not look to change this kind of thing?

BBC Scotland is utterly lacking credibility on this issue. I can only imagine if the polls continue to narrow we can expect more utterly outlandish FUD spin as they begin to fear for their careers post 2014.

Let's face it. The Scottish media is filled with more than its fair share of Comical Alis!

There's 1 big difference, we fund them to be impartial.

The SBC will have a nice ring to it.

Archived