The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

1 hour ago, Arabdownunder said:

Knew the first five, got excited then fell in a heap. 6/10

I had an identical experience - it's like we were connected in some sort of mystical way tonight. 6/10

7 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

Knew the first five, got excited then fell in a heap. 6/10

Largely similar. Knew the first 4 and the author. Fluked the Aussie sports question.

6/10.

17 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I am sorry @Cardinal Richelieu I was called offshore on Tuesday and the wifi has just been connected and it is is right shit! I will try and get them done the morn. 

No worries pal and well done! Please note that all league scores must be submitted by Saturday lunchtime to give people time to answer the tie-breaker question (or should I do post another Sporcle quiz?) before the new league starts on Monday. Results still required include: @Audaces Fortuna Juvat , @deej and @irvine_buddie.

In the meantime, it's time for the EtADDJJT final!!!!! The two teams vying for the silverware are MSU - who is a cup final debutante, vs Alang1993 - who fielded a team of youngsters in the league in preparation. And because it's the final, we're not pissing about with multiple choice. 2 x sets of 10 questions below. A couple of easy ones. Some hard. Some harder still. PM me your answers before Monday lunchtime... anyone who wants to have a shot can PM me their answers too....

FIRST HALF

1. Nihonium, chemical element 113, is named for which country?
  2. What letter is the Burmese equivalent of the word Mr.?
  3. What is the cube root of 64?
  4. Hidrosis is the technical term for which common bodily function?

Set of 3 – Winter Olympics

5. What letter ends the name of the host cities of the games held in 1952, 1956, 1972, 1984, and 1998?

6. Which country has won the most gold medals in the history of the Winter Olympics, winning 118 in total?

7.  Which country will play host to next year’s games?

Set of 3 – Animal World

8. The presumed extinct Thylacine was an inhabitant of which island?

9. The hyrax, a small mammal similar to a rodent, is the closest living relative of which larger land mammal?

10. Which is the only animal who scientific name is the same as its common name?

SECOND HALF

1. In 2016, which actress, who played Dorian in ‘Birds of a Feather’, became the oldest female celebrity to take part in ‘Strictly Come Dancing’?
  2. According to the nursery rhyme, Wednesday’s child is full of what?
  3. In cricket, which word used in fielding positions is so called because of the perceived danger of being close to the batsman?
  4. What was Agatha Christie’s first published novel?

Set of 3 – Party Politics

5. Which political party was founded by Robert Kilroy-Silk on his split from UKIP in 2005?

6. Which current political party, now on its third name, was originally called The PEOPLE Party when founded in Coventry in 1973?

7. What surname is shared by the current manager of the Northern Ireland football team, and the NI leader of Sinn Fein?

Set of 3 – Where do they live?

8. What is the official London residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury?

9. In which state is Camp David, the country retreat of the President of the United States?

10. The Hofburg Imperial Palace is the official residence of which country’s president?

Good luck!

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

Apologies for the tardiness, if you been away at Center Parcs for the week after which has seriously impeded my P&B quizzing time. How inconvenient. Anyway , couple of 4/10s for Thursday and Friday. 

And 13/20 for Helpma, who had to wipe a tear from his eye as he harked back to the days when there were only 92 elements (incidentally Uranium is the 92nd element and it was discovered in 1789).... so a good effort from Methuselah. 

(btw, I appreciate that some elements with a higher atomic number were discovered before lower numbers, but I still think Helpma has forgotten a few). 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu