The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

I always thought it was an old wives' tale. Wondering though why, as an adult, I have been able to avoid nettle stings for about twenty years whereas, as a child, they seemed to be a daily hazard?

Must be something to do with Global Warming. Or the fact that I very rarely wear shorts nowadays.

6 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I always thought it was an old wives' tale. Wondering though why, as an adult, I have been able to avoid nettle stings for about twenty years whereas, as a child, they seemed to be a daily hazard?

Must be something to do with Global Warming. Or the fact that I very rarely wear shorts nowadays.

More likely cos you're old enough to go to the pub rather than having to "go out and play". 

Thanks for a great quiz, Cardinal. 

Have to jump in and demand a recount though. I only scored 16 (got the Dutch-named area of New York, the Viz question, Pink Cadillac and the Corrie newspaper wrong - knew it was Weatherfield something, but I went for Chronicle rather than Gazette). 

Quiz suited me: Adrian IV for the English pope, nettles for Yarg cheese, and Hawaii for the Union Jack are quiz staples. Have had them all in pub quizzes fairly recently. Knew the rugby one from watching the Scotland v USA match in the 2015 World Cup, where the encounter was billed by the commentator as 'the reigning Five Nations champions v the reigning Olympic champions.' 1984 was a guess.

Edited by Frankie S

23 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Thanks for a great quiz, Cardinal. 

Have to jump in and demand a recount though. I only scored 16 (got the Dutch-named area of New York, the Viz question, Pink Cadillac and the Corrie newspaper wrong - knew it was Weatherfield something, but I went for Chronicle rather than Gazette). 

Quiz suited me: Adrian IV for the English pope, nettles for Yarg cheese, and Hawaii for the Union Jack are quiz staples. Have had them all in pub quizzes fairly recently. Knew the rugby one from watching the Scotland v USA match in the 2015 World Cup, where the encounter was billed by the commentator as 'the reigning Five Nations champions v the reigning Olympic champions.' 1984 was a guess.

Cheers Franko. On my phone here, but I gave you both half a point for Weatherfield something, and I believe you got one half of the Fat Slags.

Bit disappointed I had so many public quiz staples, I'll have to lift my game in February! (assuming I get knocked early doors which has happened every single time).

I thought I was just guessing for the rugby and Olympic questions but having watched the same match as Frankie, the information must have stuck in ma heid. For the book, 1984 kept gnawing at me and instead of putting that as a guess I put nowt. Didn't matter in the grand scheme of things but hey ho

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Cheers Franko. On my phone here, but I gave you both half a point for Weatherfield something, and I believe you got one half of the Fat Slags.

Bit disappointed I had so many public quiz staples, I'll have to lift my game in February! (assuming I get knocked early doors which has happened every single time).

Ah, thanks, forgot I got one of the Fat Slags names right, lucky guess. Slightly generous marking on the Corrie question. I'll take it though!

The 'quiz staples' comment wasn't meant as a criticism, btw. I'm in the midst of writing a quiz myself at the moment, and it's always tough trying to avoid too many 'quiz chestnuts' i.e. questions that come up again and again. Seemingly obscure nuggets of information can quickly pass into the quiz canon and be greeted with a disdainful 'oh, no, not that one again!' reception by hardened quizzers. I generally tend to leave a few chestnuts in, so most teams will get a few points on the board. Writing a quiz that's accessible to everyone, yet challenging for the the stronger competitors/teams, is always a tough job. 

Didn't take it as a criticism at all Frankie. My general knowledge is average at best (as you can see from my performance in the league and cup). I enjoy making quizzes more than taking them, especially since it's a good opportunity to learn new stuff (hence me asking for topics for quiz questions).

Putting a decent quiz together can be difficult. As you alluded to, I tend to put five sitters, three middling ones, and a couple of toughies (not talking about the DDJJT, more general quiz hostery). That way, the best team will normally win but the weakest won't be embarrassed. A bit like on University Challenge where they chuck in a couple of easy ones do as not to disillusion the average viewer.

Just as an aside, what's anyone's favourite quiz question? Mine would be (and I've asked it before), "What's the longest month of the year?". It doesnt require you to know lists of obscure facts, but the answer is both obvious and a bit tricky. And even if you're clueless, you've got a 1 in 12 chance of getting it right.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

No and yes. I'd say there were two correct answers, neither of them July.

How in God's f**k (sorry God), are there 2 answers? Just to clarify, we're talking about time, not number of letters in the name.

Just now, Cardinal Richelieu said:

How in God's f**k (sorry God), are there 2 answers? Just to clarify, we're talking about time, not number of letters in the name.

You didn't mention letters being excluded. So September. They added another second on December 31st, so December. And July because if you add the longest days together you get the longest month. P.S. Oh, and maybe October!

8 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I like that question. It came up on here in one of Albino Rovers' quizzes (I think it was him, anyway).

Another one of those, which I liked is: What happened in Britain from the 3rd to the 13th September, 1752?

Nothing

11 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I like that question. It came up on here in one of Albino Rovers' quizzes (I think it was him, anyway).

Another one of those, which I liked is: What happened in Britain from the 3rd to the 13th September, 1752?

Mary got married to Jack. Hell of a party.