The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

Sorry for doubting you Dayman, and shame on you Edmund, for not getting the quiz up earlier when Bully Wee Villa might have been sober!

Anyway... Live from Hampden, here is the FINAL of the Charles Ingram Memorial Diddly Dee Jam Jar Trophy...

The_Kincardine (Eng) vs WhiteRoseKillie (Eng)

25 questions in total... a traditional 10 question quiz PLUS five rounds of three questions on a particular theme...

Anyone who wants to take part (for fun) PM me your answers or stick them in spoilers. Answers and winners on Monday lunchtime, so you've got all weekend to tackle it!

------------------

Landlocked Countries:
a) Which country is the most populous landlocked country in the world, having lost its access to the sea in 1993?
b) Which country became landlocked in 1884 after losing the War of the Pacific? 
c) Its capital is Bishkek; which former Soviet republic can be regarded as the world’s most landlocked country, in that it is the furthest from the sea?

Brands: 
a) Wenger and Victorinox are the only companies to have manufactured which iconic item? 
b) Which brand of individually wrapped confectionary is named after a play by J. M. Barrie?
c) Which brand of rum uses the advertising slogan ‘To Life, Love, and Loot’?

One Spelling: 2 Meanings: Identify three pairs of words with identical spellings but different pronunciations
a) One suffering from a chronic illness; and having no force, efficacy or cogency.
b) The act of producing over again; and a pastime
c) Having an organised labour force; and atoms or molecules bearing no electrical charge

Ex-teachers:
a) Which Nobel laureate and Booker Prize-winning author’s best-known work was allegedly inspired by his failure as a teacher to control a class of unruly children?
b) Which former deputy headmaster turned quiz-show host would offer losing contestants nothing but their “BFH: bus fare home”?
c)  Which former maths teacher had two UK number-ones hits during the 1970s that both featured the word ‘Eyes’ in their titles?

Identify the bands from their first and (possibly) last UK top 40 singles:
a) New Life (1981) – Wrong (2009)
b) The Prince (1979) - NW5 (2008)
c) It Ain’t What You Do It’s The Way That You Do It (1982) - Look on the Floor (2005) 

Trivia round:

1. Which 40-year-old British sportsman swapped two wheels for four to drive in the 2016 Le Mans 24 Hour race?
2. In what sporting context was ‘L’ replaced by ‘50’ in January 2016?
3. In 2016, which double Oscar winner returned to the stage for the first time since 1992, playing King Lear at the Old Vic?
4. Who took the post of Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead on the 12th of September, 2016?
5. Which city was renamed ‘Puerto Argentina’ for ten weeks in 1982?
6. What increased from 39 to 107 in 2007?
7. What name is shared by a market town in Lincolnshire and a county in the border region of the Republic of Ireland?
8. Which state of the USA has the longest coastline? 
9. What colour is liquid oxygen?
10. Aibohphobia  is a coined term for the fear of what?

--------------------------------------------------

p.s. I didn't write this quiz but I'll give credit to it once the results are revealed...Good luck!

50 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Sorry for doubting you Dayman, and shame on you Edmund, for not getting the quiz up earlier when Bully Wee Villa might have been sober!

Anyway... Live from Hampden, here is the FINAL of the Charles Ingram Memorial Diddly Dee Jam Jar Trophy...

The_Kincardine (Eng) vs WhiteRoseKillie (Eng)

25 questions in total... a traditional 10 question quiz PLUS five rounds of three questions on a particular theme...

Anyone who wants to take part (for fun) PM me your answers or stick them in spoilers. Answers and winners on Monday lunchtime, so you've got all weekend to tackle it!

------------------

Spoiler

Landlocked Countries:
a) Which country is the most populous landlocked country in the world, having lost its access to the sea in 1993? Kazakhstan?
b) Which country became landlocked in 1884 after losing the War of the Pacific? Paraguay?
c) Its capital is Bishkek; which former Soviet republic can be regarded as the world’s most landlocked country, in that it is the furthest from the sea? Uzbekistan?

Brands: 
a) Wenger and Victorinox are the only companies to have manufactured which iconic item? Swiss Army Knife
b) Which brand of individually wrapped confectionary is named after a play by J. M. Barrie? Quality Street?
c) Which brand of rum uses the advertising slogan ‘To Life, Love, and Loot’? Captain Morgans

One Spelling: 2 Meanings: Identify three pairs of words with identical spellings but different pronunciations
a) One suffering from a chronic illness; and having no force, efficacy or cogency.
b) The act of producing over again; and a pastime - Recreation
c) Having an organised labour force; and atoms or molecules bearing no electrical charge

Ex-teachers:
a) Which Nobel laureate and Booker Prize-winning author’s best-known work was allegedly inspired by his failure as a teacher to control a class of unruly children? JM Coetzee?
b) Which former deputy headmaster turned quiz-show host would offer losing contestants nothing but their “BFH: bus fare home”? Jim Bowen
c)  Which former maths teacher had two UK number-ones hits during the 1970s that both featured the word ‘Eyes’ in their titles?

Identify the bands from their first and (possibly) last UK top 40 singles:
a) New Life (1981) – Wrong (2009) - Depeche Mode
b) The Prince (1979) - NW5 (2008) - Madness
c) It Ain’t What You Do It’s The Way That You Do It (1982) - Look on the Floor (2005) - Fun Boy Three

Trivia round:

1. Which 40-year-old British sportsman swapped two wheels for four to drive in the 2016 Le Mans 24 Hour race? - Chris Hoy
2. In what sporting context was ‘L’ replaced by ‘50’ in January 2016?
3. In 2016, which double Oscar winner returned to the stage for the first time since 1992, playing King Lear at the Old Vic?
4. Who took the post of Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead on the 12th of September, 2016? David Cameron?
5. Which city was renamed ‘Puerto Argentina’ for ten weeks in 1982? - Whatever one is the capital of the Falklands
6. What increased from 39 to 107 in 2007?
7. What name is shared by a market town in Lincolnshire and a county in the border region of the Republic of Ireland? - Cavan?
8. Which state of the USA has the longest coastline? - Alaska
9. What colour is liquid oxygen? - Blue?
10. Aibohphobia  is a coined term for the fear of what?

--------------------------------------------------

p.s. I didn't write this quiz but I'll give credit to it once the results are revealed...Good luck!

A respectable 11.5 in the cup quiz for Ross!

And here is the final standings for the Week 6 League!

At the top of the heap, well done again to WRK who really may have to turn professional soon :) ... newcomer Blackislekillie earned a respectable 3rd place and congrats / commiserations to Eckthearab, who achieved yet another 2nd place... always the bridesmaid, never the bride!

Down at the other end, Bullyweevilla's tactic of getting shit-faced before the quiz paid dividends (I've been trying it for years but to little effect!)... Hardlines to Die Hard Doonhamer who picks up the black star... Still, next month will bring fresh hope, a new cup and another four leagues, so anything is possible (except anyone beating WRK). 

WhiteRoseKillie

eckthearab

★★★★★

Blackislekillie

The_Kincardine

Leeds Saint

★★

Edmund

BigBo10

alang1993

welshbairn

Dayman

Swarley

Dee_62

Peasy23

Cardinal Richelieu

Jacksgranda

G_Man1985

★★★

SlipperyP

WILLIEA

Supermik

Ross.

Jagfox99

Bully Wee Villa

Jmothecat

die hard doonhamer

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

19 minutes ago, eckthearab said:

2nd again? Wow wasn't expecting that. Again well done WRK, I doff my cap to you

Careful! You'll be accused of being a servile Uncle Tam unionist. Or am I on the wrong thread...

Edited by Jacksgranda
sleppnig

7 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

A respectable 11.5 in the cup quiz for Ross!

Can I sign Ross on loan to do the quiz again on my behalf?  I just had a quick glance at it and 11.5 (not sure where the .5 came from) is very decent. b*****d of a quiz!

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

Can I sign Ross on loan to do the quiz again on my behalf?  I just had a quick glance at it and 11.5 (not sure where the .5 came from) is very decent. b*****d of a quiz!

No loan signings after the transfer window closes (sorry, slams shut). WRK's results are in though!