Ravel Morrison

Mr. Brightside

1 hour ago, killiefan27 said:

By all accounts lazy in training, wouldn't eat Italian food, made no effort to learn the language... Ergo four Serie A games in 18 months.

I'd call him the Derek Riordan of England, but he might actually have achieved less.

:lol:

7 hours ago, killiefan27 said:

By all accounts lazy in training, wouldn't eat Italian food, made no effort to learn the language... Ergo four Serie A games in 18 months.

I'd call him the Derek Riordan of England, but he might actually have achieved less.

That should be at the very top of the Beastisms list.

21 hours ago, killiefan27 said:

An appropriate example to choose. When Riordan returned to Scotland from China and signed for St Johnstone he described the appalling conditions he'd had to endure playing with Shaanzi Chan-Ba... Who could ever have anticipated that playing in an Asian country might have meant Asian food being the main local delicacy, and English not the main language:

Riordan revealed: “It was a nasty experience for me. I lost a stone in weight in three months. It’s not like you can just go down to Asda to get food. The nearest European supermarket to where I stayed was a half-hour walk.

“Just buying the right food was really hard. I spent a lot of time with an Italian player, Fabio Firmani who used to play for Lazio, and I think we had tomato pasta just about every night. He’s left as well. Four out of five who came across have done the same.

“Nobody spoke English and I didn’t want to bring my girlfriend and child over.

“It was like an army camp, basically.

“It was alright for the first few weeks and at least I tried it. It was certainly an experience.

“A lot of things just weren’t right – we would have chicken fried rice for our pre-match meal. While I was over there the chairman of Shanghai got arrested for launching a bottle at one of the players from the stand. It was nuts. It was the food that was the hardest thing though. All the European guys found it very hard. It was really draining. I couldn’t wait to get home for a decent meal

“I was down to just over 10 stone, but I’ve put the weight back on since I’ve come home

Truly a harrowing tale.

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Whilst I agree with all of the slating of Riordan as he is clearly a Brit-abroad, steak pie loving jake, having chicken fried rice as a pre-game meal does seem a bit mental to me.

I'd agree. Although perhaps it was just chicken breast and white rice and Deeks assumed, since he was in China, it was chicken fried rice.