Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

9 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

So it looks like a labour landslide is on the cards, but nobody is particularly excited about it and no one is predicting the kind of wholesale changes that happened in 97

Yay! we're getting rid of the utterly corrupt tory arseholes, in favour of some less corrupt, slightly less tory, tory arseholes, is about the long and short of it.

No wonder there's a palpable lack of enthusiasm.

Edited by Boo Khaki

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Yay! we're getting rid of the utterly corrupt tory arseholes, in favour of some less corrupt, slightly less tory, tory arseholes, is about the long and short of it.

No wonder there's a palpable lack of enthusiasm.

I think you're just a weirdo. Personally, I was delighted when the manager of my bank was replaced and immediately promised to use Comic Sans on the Unauthorised Overdraft letters they send me every month due to my spiralling poverty.

Also, they're not "less corrupt" and "slightly less tory". You mean that they're currently unproven to be less corrupt and tory, but we can hope. Isn't that better?

3 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I'm just looking forward to the umpteen Portillo moments. What comes after is bound to be a let-down, so I'm not really thinking about it.

There will come a point when we'll all forget what's replacing them and will just be delighted and relieved that they're all finally getting emptied. Probably the start of the campaign, which should be hilarious apart from the heavy flirting with fascism that the three main parties in England will take part in. It'll also be amusing to see the Lib Dems trying to keep up from the sidelines saying, "well, we'll also be jolly mean to people, like...erm...parents of truant children, maybe? But only if that's OK with them!"

I'll be quite happy to slip into the fantasy that we'll be getting something better, and that the scumbags losing their jobs won't be happy to call in their favours and earn more money from tasty advisory "jobs". It'll be like a wee holiday.

Most papers reporting that for the first time since 2014 ScoLab are ahead of the SNP in the polls. But the Telegraph is saying they are 'surging' into the lead, and they're not usually enthusiastic about Labour success.

If it's taken Labour this long, against a background of SNP incompetence and own goals, they are hardly 'surging' and they won't be there for long. If the SNP ever get their act together - a big ask, I grant you - Labour will be back in the doldrums. They have nothing to offer but the status quo.

Edited by KirkieRR

17 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I'm just looking forward to the umpteen Portillo moments. What comes after is bound to be a let-down, so I'm not really thinking about it.

His train adventures have taken the sting out of the Portillo moment.

He is more popular now than ever.

I never stay up for election night programmes (they're boring) but from what I've seen, Portillo responded to his defeat with grace and humour - and I didn't like him then and I don't like him now.

Now, that nasty toff piece of work Ian Lang in 1992: seething, seething, his scowl betraying how humiliating it was to have to be voted in - or out- by the lower orders.

Of course, he didn't have to be. He was quickly ennobled and is a pernicious Tory influence in the Lords still.

30 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

I never stay up for election night programmes (they're boring) but from what I've seen, Portillo responded to his defeat with grace and humour - and I didn't like him then and I don't like him now.

Now, that nasty toff piece of work Ian Lang in 1992: seething, seething, his scowl betraying how humiliating it was to have to be voted in - or out- by the lower orders.

Of course, he didn't have to be. He was quickly ennobled and is a pernicious Tory influence in the Lords still.

It was a bit of mild amusement at the proles' reactions, knowing that he was already a wealthy, well connected man who'd be absolutely fine. I don't think we realise quite how little losing an election matters to most MPs, other than to their pride.

Mind David Mellor losing the plot at Sir Jammy Goldfinger on the hustings and somehow making an ever bigger embarrassment of himself than when he was sucking Z-list actresses' toes. "No, no, I think you will find that it is YOU who has made a fool of himself today, James!"  :lol:

Edited by BFTD
There were multiple proles; I remember it well.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

His train adventures have taken the sting out of the Portillo moment.

He is more popular now than ever.

I am just wondering what travel shows are being organised by the BBC to be hosted by Badenoch, Braverman and Patel after the election.

Actually I think the three of them would be a good choice for Top Gear.   

That would be interesting.

17 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I am just wondering what travel shows are being organised by the BBC to be hosted by Badenoch, Braverman and Patel after the election.

They're planning to be back in power by 2029, but all three could do a good world tour of places full of poor people who disgust them.

Think they'd probably skip the UK episode, though.

9 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

Douglas Alexander, Labour grandee's reaction to his "shock" loss:

9 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Driving off a cliff hopefully.

12 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

Dont know how they model this exactly but I just cannot see Labour winning that many seats in Glasgow. 

I think it's that poll that had a margin for the SNP of low - 1, high - 56, which is a way of saying that the sample size in Scotland is too small to make specific predictions about it.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, D Angelo Barksdale said:

It would be reeeeeally interesting to see how that breaks down with different socioeconomic groups. Who thinks they're going to be a winner or loser, and who's believing Sir Keef when he says he's going to do f**k all?