Mascots observing minutes silences

ICTChris

I'm thinking back to a few years ago when the Celtic fans on here insisted having a minute's applause for remembrance was somehow appropriate, rather than a completely transparent attempt to drown out disruption. The tannoy guy even had the brass neck to call it 'the Glasgow Celtic way' of doing things.

FWIW I don't think Celtic or any other club should be under any obligation to have a minute's silence. TBH I'd rather keep politics out of football, and that means no commemoration at all, including at Morton. But that 'the Glasgow Celtic way' thing really stuck in my craw. It was plainly, obviously because they knew the silence would be disrupted, but held up as an example of Celtic piety.

Either do it properly or don't do it at all, is what I'm getting at (and not doing it at all would be my preference. When I go to soccer or baseball games over here in the US everyone has to stand for the anthem and it's completely unnecessary IMO.)

Fair enough post. I don't agree with minutes of applause either. I find them disrespectful.

So swampy every sporting event in America plays the national anthem or is it just finals?

I've never been to a game where it didn't happen, and that includes at high school level*. Just regular league/season games. At FC Dallas they do fireworks at the 'rockets red glare' bit.

*To stave off BEAST allegations, I was accompanying my wee brother to a high school football game, as he was meeting a mate of his there.

Paisley Panda used to do some funny things before the Falkirk fans took the huff and complained to the police.

My first ever away game was at Love Street in the late 90s/early 00s, and the Paisley Panda was doing some sort of pole dancing routine. Was pretty bizarre.

sammy-dunfermline-mascot-image-2-8770899

Which prompted this response from an outraged Rovers fan.

I was standing next to a family of four, mum dad and two sons,(aged roughly early teens) and when the arsehole annoncer started playing machine gun noise over the sound system one of the sons was very upset, we then found out his older broher had died in afghanistan!! The dad wasn't too pleased and imediatly responded and was straight away involved with police. So yes certain people wouldve easily been offended. No reasom for an idiot dressed in a furry suit to want to immitate a tank at a football game. Oh one more question what the f**k is sammy the tammy suppose to be?? Apart from a fud! Mascots are suppose to represent something to do with ure club?

Edited by Jimmy85

Did dunfermlines mascot not sledge down the stand once? :lol

He did indeed, in honour of somebody getting a medal at the winter olympics.

Other highlights include him cycling round the pitch on a kids bike before falling off.

Aye, Sammy got a bit of a telling off after his sledging down the stand was deemed to be a health and safety issue, with the reason being there could've been serious injury caused to anyone getting in his way.

The bike incident was a game against St Johnstone IIRC, and he got on Soccer AM's third eye with it, must've been early 2000s. His foam foot got caught in the spokes of the front wheel and he flipped off over the front :lol:

Which prompted this response from an outraged Rovers fan.

Aye, that was bizarre. I remember local politicians getting involved as well, which was bloody ridiculous.

Cracking thread this though and my favourites from the WSC thread linked to are the mascot with the giant poppies and Gunnersauras staring out Andy Carroll. Brilliant.

I remember a game at Ochilview a few years ago when I was sitting just in front of the wee boxed-off bit in the stand. There was a bunch of lads in it dressed as gorillas, obviously on a stag do or something.

There was a minutes silence before the game for an ex-Stenny player who had died, and I just about managed to stifle my giggles at the sight of a row of blokes in gorilla costumes standing with their heads bowed. Or at least I did until the silence was interrupted by one of their phones ringing out with the Thonas the Tank Engine theme tune.