Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

I thought he had been promoted to their 1st team? Very disappointing if he goes to the Championship (though a Bannan/Gauld midfield would be interesting to see!)

Surly its better him playing first team football though to gain experience? Potential is all good and well but you only improve by playing competitive football.

Surly its better him playing first team football though to gain experience? Potential is all good and well but you only improve by playing competitive football.

If he's been promoted to the Sporting 1st team squad I'd rather he stayed and got first team experience there.

If he's been promoted to the Sporting 1st team squad I'd rather he stayed and got first team experience there.

I'd also prefer he played first team football in Lisbon, but he's still in the second team so that looks unlikely at present.

The lad has genuine talent, it would be a shame if his career stalled. A loan move would be good for everyone, scotland included.

Edited by Dirty Debbie Harry

I'd also prefer he played first team football in Lisbon, but he's still in the second team so that looks unlikely at present.

The lad has genuine talent, it would be a shame if his career stalled. A loan move would be good for everyone, scotland included.

That was my original query though: wasn't it reported a few weeks ago that Sporting had promoted him to the first team?

ETA: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/178525/former-dundee-united-star-ryan-gauld-promoted-sportings-senior-squad/

Edited by Gordopolis

There was something in Portuguese (via google translator 😀) I read recently that said Sporting were in financial do-do, due to owing another club something over 10 million euros after recent court judgement.

I hope they are not looking to give him exposure in England just with a view to flogging him to premiership. I would like to think they see a future with him in their side.

I would prefer he went to a Portuguese top division club on loan instead.

Either way, I think a Scotland regular he can become, in time for next qualifiers, hopefully..

If he does well with Wednesday and gets a move to a good side then I don't really see why it'd be a bad thing to "flog him".

I see you point. I did also read, though, that Sporting fans feel he does not impose himself enough. With his lack of height, he may find it even harder in the English Championship, with more physicality there.

That was my original query though: wasn't it reported a few weeks ago that Sporting had promoted him to the first team?

ETA: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/178525/former-dundee-united-star-ryan-gauld-promoted-sportings-senior-squad/

He's still quoted as being in the B team on the official sporting site site so i guess that's as good a source as any.

He clearly wants (and needs) games but thats a good sign. being on the books of a club like sporting is beneficial in many respects, however, festering in the second team isn't helping him progress.

Going by those quotes he seems keen to be playing again, not resting on his laurels like many nowadays do.

That's a shame if the first team report was false. Definitely agree that if he's still in the Sporting 2nd string then he won't gain much by remaining there for another (3rd?) season.

I think we all wanted him to have a stellar career trajectory (e.g. Dundee Utd->Sporting->Real Madrid), but as mentioned, we have to take what we can get, so if Wednesday are offering him game time then he should probably go for it. He might get the gig at the Bernabeu later on... 

Edited by Gordopolis

If they're loaning him to Wednesday then it's with a view to putting him in the shop window for an English club. If they wanted to loan him out for development they'd send him to another Portuguese top flight club, or perhaps another minor top flight somewhere in Europe.

That's a shame if the first team report was false. Definitely agree that if he's still in the Sporting 2nd string then he won't gain much by remaining there for another (3rd?) season.

I think we all wanted him to have a stellar career trajectory (e.g. Dundee Utd->Sporting->Real Madrid), but as mentioned, we have to take what we can get, so if Wednesday are offering him game time then he should probably go for it. He might get the gig at the Bernabeu later on... 

It would have been great if that's the way his career had gone as we all hoped, and agree a third season without much game time isn't best for the kid. He's only 20, at a club with an excellent pedigree but if he has to move and continue his development elsewhere, so be it.

Whatever happens next for him, i'm sure he's learned a great deal in Portugal, i just really hope that a guy with genuine ability like Gauld can progress and fulfill his potential.

The link I saw for Sheffield Wed link had all the hallmarks of a made up story such as it was. It's unlikely Sporting have updated their website for the new season.

What difference is one papers story that he's been promoted to the 'A' team have more substance than another paper saying he's maybe going out on loan?

I think the thing with Gauld is, we thought he could be a special player. We thought he could be the world class player we've been waiting so long for, one that could end up at a Barca or a Bayern and could lead Scotland for many years to come. Our Gareth Bale, if you will.

I think it's becoming increasingly clear that he isn't going to be that player. He could well go on and have a decent career at the like of Wednesday or Norwich, just like plenty other of Scottish players have had recently, and there's no shame in that.

I just can't see him ever being that top class operator we crave. There's plenty of players all over Europe who are younger than him and who have already established themselves in the first teams of their international teams and some of Europe's top clubs.

The wait continues.

Agreed. We need him.

Do we need him?  :unsure2:

We are blessed with decent players in the 3 behind the striker position. He'll have needed to have vastly improved if he want to get in the squad.

We were pinning a lot of hope on the golden generation of United players - Gauld, Robertson, GMS, Armstrong, Souttar. Only Robertson has made the grade so far. Too early to write off Gauld and Souttar.