Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I'm not buying this "disaster" chat at all.  Gauld himself says he's learned so much over there and loves the lifestyle, sure he admits he'd have liked to play more but he's got around 100 professional games in Portugal under his belt, he's only 22. I would agree that he needs to play more this season and I'm confident he will, but to call his move a disaster isn't accurate.

He won't be back in Scotland for a long while yet IMO, if at all.

Totally agree.  Though it's not worked out quite as well as he'd have hoped so far I bet he'd tell you he's a much better player now and that's surely the point at 22.

He's contracted until June 2020, got to imagine he's got a make or break season coming up as far as Portugal is concerned, whether at Sporting or another loan.

Would love to see him get some game time with a team we know we'll so we can gauge his development. A Scotland B friendly, for example.

1 minute ago, banana said:

He's contracted until June 2020, got to imagine he's got a make or break season coming up as far as Portugal is concerned, whether at Sporting or another loan.

Would love to see him get some game time with a team we know we'll so we can gauge his development. A Scotland B friendly, for example.

There's no such thing as make or break.  If he doesn't have a great season he doesn't just become shit and go work in a call center.  He's going to be 24 freedom of contract and a very good player in two years.  He'll have an excellent career.

Just now, Peppino Impastato said:

There's no such thing as make or break.  If he doesn't have a great season he doesn't just become shit and go work in a call center.  He's going to be 24 freedom of contract and a very good player in two years.  He'll have an excellent career.

*as far as Portugal is concerned

No doubt he could still have a top career.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I'm not buying this "disaster" chat at all.  Gauld himself says he's learned so much over there and loves the lifestyle, sure he admits he'd have liked to play more but he's got around 100 professional games in Portugal under his belt, he's only 22. I would agree that he needs to play more this season and I'm confident he will, but to call his move a disaster isn't accurate.

He won't be back in Scotland for a long while yet IMO, if at all.

I agree it's hardly a disaster - 3 years in sunny climes becoming a millionaire and learning a whole new culture. How many other 22 years olds will have that kind of experience?

Football wise it's hardly been a roaring success though. 73 of his 100 odd games have been outside the Portuguese top tier, for Sporting's B side.  

Disaster, no. Disappointing, absolutely.

6 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Tsk! Haven't you been paying attention? Burger King.

Aye he's got a Trump-like tendency to spend too much time on social media while over-reacting to the content. I'm still irked at the way he threw Gauld under a bus after Setubal beat Sporting and then gloated on twitter. Arsehole.

4 hours ago, Eednud said:

Didn't play but his team beat his team in the Portuguese Cup Final. CD Aves 2 Sporting 1. 

Might have done slightly better had the ultras not assaulted and injured their top scorer to the point he was ruled out of the match. 

Sporting have had a pretty shitty time of it recently what with their players getting attacked with iron bars by their own fans.  Were on the fence about whether they'd actually play it or not, so not surprising they ended up losing anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 09:31, forameus said:

Sporting have had a pretty shitty time of it recently what with their players getting attacked with iron bars by their own fans.  Were on the fence about whether they'd actually play it or not, so not surprising they ended up losing anyway.

Speaking of which, at the rate they're going Gauld might be the only player they have left: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/06/12/sporting-lisbon-chaos-continues-players-terminate-contracts/

Four more Sporting Lisbon players have rescinded their contracts with the troubled Portuguese club.

Portugal internationals William Carvalho, Gelson Martins, Bruno Fernandes and Dutch striker Das Bost all filed notice with the Portuguese Securities Market Commission on Monday that they were breaking their contracts with Sporting. They all claimed "just cause" in emails sent to the commission.

Goalkeeper Rui Patricio and forward Daniel Podence already quit the team two weeks ago, while coach Jorge Jesus left Sporting and signed with Saudi club Al-Hilal last week.

The mass exit comes at the end of a tumultuous season for Sporting with clashes between players and both of the club's most radical fans and its president.

Last month, about 50 fans forced their way into the team's training center and assaulted players and staff. At least one player was injured and the club's changing room was trashed. Police detained more than 20 suspects in the hours following the incident.

40 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Seeing a lot of chat about him going to Rangers.  Have any of the media bothered to listen to a word Gauld has said at any point over the last 2 or 3 years?  I'll be hugely shocked if he returns to Scotland.

For once completely agree.  He categorically said he wants to stay in Portugal and is looking at taking Portuguese citizenship with Brexit etc.  I don't believe rangers are based in Portugal.

I actually think gauld might get a chance at sporting now for the simple reason they are losing half their squad.

Just now, Peppino Impastato said:

For once completely agree.  He categorically said he wants to stay in Portugal and is looking at taking Portuguese citizenship with Brexit etc.  I don't believe rangers are based in Portugal.

I actually think gauld might get a chance at sporting now for the simple reason they are losing half their squad.

Aye, he said a few months back that British football wasn't for him and he loved being in Portugal.  I reckon if Sporting want rid he'll get another club in Portugal no problem.

Suppose his chances at Sporting will hinge on whoever this nutjob President appoints next.