Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

On 15/04/2017 at 13:12, kenny131 said:

He's finished

6 minutes ago, Wilkinson1998 said:

You are an absolute cockwomble

Had to do a double take there, thought you were quoting yourself. :o :lol: 

Edited by IainMorton

Seriously though, what's everyone's thoughts about Gauld now? He is heading for 22 and doesn't look to be closing in on the Sporting first team at any great speed. The brave, groundbreaking move to a technical league is looking like a bit of a cul de sac as things stand.

Seriously though, what's everyone's thoughts about Gauld now? He is heading for 22 and doesn't look to be closing in on the Sporting first team at any great speed. The brave, groundbreaking move to a technical league is looking like a bit of a cul de sac as things stand.

Would love to see him progress, and while we don't know if he's getting better as a player, we never will know if he's never fucking playing. We're all just sitting twiddling our thumbs waiting for him to actually do something - anything - but he's only had 7 first team league appearances in 3 years. 66 for the B team over a couple of years is good but pointless if he doesn't eventually play. The thing is, we've already got a few really good number 10s, so where does he fit in?

Would love to see him progress, and while we don't know if he's getting better as a player, we never will know if he's never fucking playing. We're all just sitting twiddling our thumbs waiting for him to actually do something - anything - but he's only had 7 first team league appearances in 3 years. 66 for the B team over a couple of years is good but pointless if he doesn't eventually play. The thing is, we've already got a few really good number 10s, so where does he fit in?

This season probably goes down as terrible luck for him as he was coming onto a game before his manager lost the plot.
I am surprised that he didn't go out on loan to someone else for the season though. I think next season he needs to be a regular starter somewhere on loan or even force a move away from Sporting if they're not going to play him. Hopefully he doesn't come back to the UK and makes his name on the continent.

Three years since he went to Portugal and he's yet to score a goal in the top flight. Not exactly going as planned.

It's hard to see how he's going to get himself in the Scotland squad never mind the team. We have several younger players than him starting regularly for their sides.

He just needs to go somewhere where he can get a game. If that means coming back to Scotland so be it. He's at the age where he would be better playing week in week out for someone like Aberdeen than sitting on a Portuguese bench.

At the moment he's just another player who cant get a game at his club, and we have plenty of them.

^With a new coach, that might have been a possibility, but JJ clearly doesn't like him, and they've staged a pretty decent turnaround in 2017 after a shocking first half of the season, so most likely he'll be in charge next year as well.

I'd guess Gauld will move on this summer. Ideally staying abroad and not moving to some sort of Preston North End style job squad, though. Maybe he's enjoying life in Portugal and would be willing to make a permanent move to the likes of a Braga or Guimaraes there (decent standard club but just not quite Sporting calibre) where he would be guaranteed game time. No idea whether that's feasible or not in terms of their finances in being able to afford him, mind.

On 22/04/2017 at 23:06, Gordopolis said:

I'm of the opinion that even though he's not played for Sporting's first team much, he'll have learned a hell of a lot.  I'm also of the opinion that he done enough in his loan spell for there to be enough interest from other clubs to take him on loan next year if Sporting aren't playing him. I do think he needs to hold down a first team place somewhere next season though, I'm sure that will be his aim too.

From what I have managed to find on Sporting they regularly start players in their B team before loaning them out for a couple of seasons at 19. Usually when they are about 21 they get a chance in the first team. Unless they are exceptional like Ronaldo or Nani of course. Considering Gauld was coming in from a foreign Country it would be reasonable to expect that process to take maybe a year longer due to settling period/ language barrier etc.

I also understand they have changed his position from a typical number 10 attacking mid to a more sitting playmaker like Modric.

He's only 21 now and was sent out on loan after 2 good seasons with the B team. He got unlucky that the clown manager took the huff and recalled him just as he was holding down a first team place after a few good performances.

I think we'll now see him go out on loan for 2 seasons either in Portugal or another European League like Belgium or Holland and then make the step up to the first team at Sporting.

Its easy to just look at it from the outside and assume hes failing but personally I'm still excited by his progress and can see him becoming a very good player in European football. Hopefully he'll be a big player for Scotland as well.

11 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Sporting are a conveyer belt as well. If they sell a coupla midfielders this season his movement into the first team can happen instantly

But as someone else managed - is his card marked by Jorge Jesus? I can't help but feel he'd be best making a clean break, i.e. a full transfer to another Portuguese club.

I admit to having never seen this player in action (seems he isn't in action very much anyway) but isn't this the ultimate in clutching at straws by speculating that any player who manages to get a game in a half decent league must automatically be considered for an International call-up for Scotland ? Its the same with more or less any player who plays for an EPL team (whether Scottish or not) that it follows he ought to be capped.

What about McGregor at Celtic ? as far as I know he is actually a Scot and playing for the league champions, surely he must be in line for a call up ?