Bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread

So as if matters weren't bad enough, he tells the BBC to let everyone know there's £4 million in the local landfill stored in a hard drive. Expect bedlam shortly.

Or he was bored and fancied making his own entertainment ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Down to $421. Hope anyone that had them on here has sold up?

Nah - they'll go back up in value hopefully in about 6 months. There's been 3 bitcoin bubbles since it started, but it's going to be slower without china

Bitcoins are heading for a crash - 100%

I speak to a lot of traders ( shares stuff ) who have been talking about short selling bit coins for weeks / months..... Generally, anything that rises too fast ( like the bit coin ) crashes equally quickly..... They are not worth buying just now in my opinion ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25428866 China have stuck their oar in as well...

Bitcoins are heading for a crash - 100%

I speak to a lot of traders ( shares stuff ) who have been talking about short selling bit coins for weeks / months..... Generally, anything that rises too fast ( like the bit coin ) crashes equally quickly..... They are not worth buying just now in my opinion ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25428866 China have stuck their oar in as well...

If you'd bought one when you posted that, you'd have made $100 short selling it now.

It really depends on whether you see a future in the currency or not. I do, which means I see the dips as opportunities to buy cheaper. I'm totally skint just now, but if I wasn't I'd have bought some!

• 3 weeks later...

Bitcoin back to $1000, litecoin to $30. This year's looking bright - bitcoin ATMs all over the world, overstock.com zynga and even virgin galactic accepting them.

Don't buy now though, wait until the next crash.

I think BTC is definitely sustainable as a store of value, but as a currency it will surely be difficult to use while the price is so volatile. I bought a small amount at $90 and aim to sell 80% if it hits $5,000. I know it might never do so but I think, as it stands, there's a fair chance.

I'm puzzled by the QE analogy when its 'discovery' is intended to mirror precious metals.

• 1 month later...

Alot of talk jsut now that bitcoin and google could be about to team up. That would make the value of bitcoins soar.

Bitcoin isn't a company, so it can't join anyone. Google could start accepting it though if that's what you mean?

Right now Mt. Gox is having major problems and the price everywhere is nose diving. I sold everything I had a month back when I needed my car's air con fixed and made about 30% profit after 2 months of trading. At current prices it's tempting to jump back in, though I'd like to see Mt Gox either come back or disappear before committing to anything!

Ignore Bitcoin other than as a way in. Since my first post on this thread i've made 5 figures trading the various alt-coins which in essence are pretty much worthless in the grand scheme of things, but if you research the charts and learn how to read them, you can day-trade the pump & dumps and read when they are about to happen for each coin.

Sexcoin for example (I know...I know...) rose in value by 1700% in one day, Quark had a similar push over a couple of days in early December and many other coins have had the same. It's getting ridiculous with the amount of new coins being created...but I have no problem with making money from something ridiculous.

I'm currently invested in Dogecoin (based on the meme), and Quark. Will probably be holding these investments for the best part of this year as during my holding they have become the 4th and 7th biggest crypto-currencies in existence with a total current market-cap of $75m and $18m respectively.

• 2 months later...

You’re lucky if you spotted its highest value of more than $1000. I was fortunate enough to gain some BTC when it hit its peak price. Aside from bitcoin gambling, I’m currently studying the High Frequency Trading for bitcoin, and see if it’s a good investment to dive in.

You’re lucky if you spotted its highest value of more than $1000. I was fortunate enough to gain some BTC when it hit its peak price. Aside from bitcoin gambling, I’m currently studying the High Frequency Trading for bitcoin, and see if it’s a good investment to dive in.

I wouldn't recommend dipping into day trading while the market's still bearish. You'll be right as often as you're wrong, and gradually lose money. If you're keen though this article's pretty good:

http://www.wallstreetcrypto.net/p/crypto-forex-101.html

I've been putting $50 a week into bitcoin for the past month and a half while confidence is low in the currency, hoping to have 1 BTC soon. I'm hoping the price shoots up again in July/August, but planning on playing the long game.

• 1 month later...

How does bitcoin "mining" work? The rest of it (buying/selling etc) is pretty straight forward but what is mining? Do you just create bitcoins out of thin air? why does it require a lot of processing power?

To "make" a bitcoin, your computer has to solve a problem. As more bitcoin are mined, the problems increase in difficulty, and now you need special "mining rigs" to have any hope of mining them. Right now the electricity used to mine one costs more than they're worth.

I have read this thread and looked at the wiki article and still have zero idea what bitcoin is? Is it like shares or something that you can use to buy stuff?

An utter idiots guide would be lovely

It's a currency that exists only on the internet, like dollars or pounds. You have to download a bitcoin "wallet", which is an application on your computer that you store your bitcoin in. I use one called electrum.

You can buy stuff with bitcoin, with more and more companies accepting them. There's a tiny transaction fee compared to credit cards, and no banks are involved. It's a bit like an online version of cash in hand.

The price of a bitcoin fluctuates wildly, and as there is a finite number of them in existence it's based on demand.

To buy bitcoin, you need to use a currency exchange. In the UK, I think the big ones are bittylicious and bitbargain, though if you want to trade with someone privately you can try localbitcoins.com . You can also use a bitcoin ATM - I think there's one at the cex store on Sauchiehall st in Glasgow?

Edited by RCR

• 5 months later...

Another silk road bust, and the value of a bitcoin's started to rise again - currently a 22% jump in the space of a week from $318 to $390. There's been a few cool developments too recently, with bitpay developing NFC payments with android phones, and changetip allowing people to tip people a few bucks worth of bitcoin online. There are also a few hedge funds getting involved.