Bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread

End of the year is where it's at. I'd expect the BTC price to be double it's current value at least by the end of the year...then fluctuate throughout January before falling away again.

Again though, with all the small alt-coins linked to BTC prices, those are the ones to buy into for the real profits. As I mentioned in a post earlier in the year, Sexcoin rose 1700% in one day in January...millionaires were made in a matter of hours. Quark did something very similar last December and to a lesser extent again in January....and even has Shaquille O'Neal doing a quick video soundbite for them.

Start paying attention to forums now, learn a bit in advance, and there will be plenty money to be made around the turn of the year.

• 11 months later...

After almost a year of stagnation, bitcoin's starting to rise again - from $230 a few weeks ago to $370 at the moment. I'm over making predictions, but hoping that it keeps going up to $420 - anything above that and I make money :) I've spent $1600 AUD on them over a year or so, and currently have $1400 AUD worth of coin (2.7 bitcoin).

It's entertaining if anything!

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
2 hours ago, fanny paddery said:

I see that the value of bitcoin has now surged to such an extent that £1k worth of bitcoin bought in 2010 is now worth £35m. Did anyone manage to get involved in the bitcoin action?

Did this chap ever find his hard-drive?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/27/hard-drive-bitcoin-landfill-site

• 2 months later...

I invested a couple of hundred dollars in NEO (essentially the Chinese Ethereum) at $7 a couple of weeks ago and now I'm sitting at almost $1000 with it at $33 per coin. And rising. It's rocketing up.

Put $150 in OmiseGo last night and woke up to find the price has almost doubled today. So not a bad week at all.

• 1 month later...

I never fucking got on this when I should have. :lol:

Wonder if it will continue to rise exponentially. Seems that every time it hits a bump in the road it rallies round massively.

Forecasts say there's a 20% chance of the market crashing completely by 2020 but a significantly higher chance of it exploding even further.

11 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I never fucking got on this when I should have. :lol:

Wonder if it will continue to rise exponentially. Seems that every time it hits a bump in the road it rallies round massively.

Forecasts say there's a 20% chance of the market crashing completely by 2020 but a significantly higher chance of it exploding even further.

I don't pretend to understand the value of bitcoin at all, but anything whose value grows exponentially for no good reason almost invariably crashes with none of the experts predicting it.

On 9/22/2017 at 08:59, welshbairn said:

I don't pretend to understand the value of bitcoin at all, but anything whose value grows exponentially for no good reason almost invariably crashes with none of the experts predicting it.

I've got a mate who is a chartered accountant and another one who is a chartered financial analyst who seem to be steering well clear and I've got another two who are total dafties who are raving about it. This is basically why I'm steering clear, although it is tempting to get involved. :lol:

One of them actually said to me privately 'You can tell something is a bubble if the likes of mate x and mate y are raving about it'. 

Just now, The OP said:

I've got a mate who is a chartered accountant and another one who is a chartered financial analyst who seem to be steering well clear and I've got another two who are total dafties who are raving about it. This is basically why I'm steering clear, although it is tempting to get involved. :lol:

One of them actually said to me privately 'You can tell something is a bubble if the likes of mate x and mate y are raving about it'. 

Read something about the value dropping by a third this month when the Chinese talked about banning it or something. That's either a cue to jump in and buy when the price is low or a serious warning about its volatility. I'm going by the latter.

38 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Chartered, eh?

Dunno why I bothered with accountant but I understand the chartered financial analyst is ranked as one of the most difficult exams in the world and so they make megabucks as a result. 

• 1 month later...
On 01/11/2017 at 17:00, Hank Scorpio said:

Broke £5,000 today.

Peaked at £5,600 today, now settled at £5,300. 

If I sold off just now I'd be around £900 up on my £1380 outlay. Intended with this as a long-term investment though for better or worse and that's how I'll continue.

I think BTC is definitely sustainable as a store of value, but as a currency it will surely be difficult to use while the price is so volatile. I bought a small amount at $90 and aim to sell 80% if it hits $5,000. I know it might never do so but I think, as it stands, there's a fair chance.
I'm puzzled by the QE analogy when its 'discovery' is intended to mirror precious metals.

Lol

On 11/7/2013 at 22:47, djchapsticks said:

Does anyone know anything about this alternative method of currency? I've seen them around the last few years and always meant to somehow learn and get involved in them.

Turns out they have rocketed in value from 1BTC being about $5, to almost $300 since the start of the year, making the early investors in them, rich as f**k.

Reading through a few articles though a lot of experts feel, like the Dot Com boom, it's a bubble which has a chance of continuing to expand for a few years.

Does anyone trade in them or use them? Other than actually buying them, you can 'mine' them. Seems a bit vague how you would go about doing such a thing though.

I've just started looking at bitcoin yesterday as an investment and they are now worth $7400 as of today, or £5700.  Absolutely crazy the rise in price over the years and I now see more and more businesses starting to accept them as payment - even for drinks in pubs.

Tried to buy £100 of bitcoin today but unfortunately you need a credit card to purchase them - or at least from the trader I was going to use.

Price rose from £5400 to £5700 overnight.  Of course it could collapse at anytime and I've probably missed the boat anyway but does anyone ITK about bitcoin expect this rise to continue?