Liverpool City Council Ban FOBTs In Betting Shops

Gaz

If I were to administer opiates to you over a sustained period, you almost certainly would have symptoms of physical dependency on it. My dad had them after he has a major operation and was given morphine, my wife had them after getting painkillers when she was giving birth.

If I were to make you place several bets at regular intervals over a sustained period you almost certainly would not get those symptoms.

That’s not to say that problem gambling isn’t extremely serious and devastating to those who are affected of course. It’s different to being physically dependent on drugs though.

I do know one guy who blew a £15k inheritance on the FOBT’s within a 6 month period who then asked every bookie in Perth to ban him.

Within 3 months a new one opened and he went straight in and started using their FOBT’s.

Was quite scary watching him.

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

If I were to administer opiates to you over a sustained period, you almost certainly would have symptoms of physical dependency on it. My dad had them after he has a major operation and was given morphine, my wife had them after getting painkillers when she was giving birth.

If I were to make you place several bets at regular intervals over a sustained period you almost certainly would not get those symptoms.

That’s not to say that problem gambling isn’t extremely serious and devastating to those who are affected of course. It’s different to being physically dependent on drugs though.

I don't think anyone saying that addiction to opiates is the same as addiction to gambling. It's just the denial that there are any serious withdrawal effects on serious gambling addicts trying to give up. Being denied a regular adrenalin rush has a physical effect if you're used to it on a regular basis. Behavioural addictions have chemical effects on the brain and body, the border line between mental and physical symptoms isn't an iron fence. The attitude that no help is needed and you just need to pull your socks up seems to be the prevailing view on here, and that the bookies shouldn't be blamed for actively encouraging addiction through FOBT's. 

Edited by welshbairn

Guest Moomintroll
Just now, Gaz said:

He was white as a sheet!

Cant help but think that no one else is getting the Avalanches references. Poor Miguel, he should stick to making false teeth.

Just now, Mayor Wilkins III said:

Gutted someone referenced Avalanches before I could chime in the coconut line.

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN EYEBALL

Guest Moomintroll
2 minutes ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

Gutted someone referenced Avalanches before I could chime in the coconut line.

Sorry, I'm Wicked.

17 hours ago, mizfit said:

I do know one guy who blew a £15k inheritance on the FOBT’s within a 6 month period who then asked every bookie in Perth to ban him.

Within 3 months a new one opened and he went straight in and started using their FOBT’s.

Was quite scary watching him.

They shave/grow beards, wear hats, sunglasses and other various forms of hiding who they are. If recognised they are asked to leave and the staff then phone round their nearby branches to warn them.

They shave/grow beards, wear hats, sunglasses and other various forms of hiding who they are. If recognised they are asked to leave and the staff then phone round their nearby branches to warn them.

Literally had someone do this last month. Shaved his head and grown a beard in the hopes of no being spotted.

• 1 year later...

William Hill are to close 700 shops putting up to 4500 jobs at risk. Following the drop in revenue after the government set a maximum limit of £2 stake on FOBTs, this isn’t a surprise to their staff.