Amsterdam

greenockraver

I'm going on Wednesday for a week and it'll be my eighth visit. We have an apartment in the Jordaan and are taking the boys. We were there in December and they loved it, it's obviously a totally different type of holiday with the kids but enjoyable nonetheless. This time round we plan on going to the zoo, the NEMO science museum (again) and seeing the windmills at Zaanse Schans.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Probably the wrong group of folk to ask but I'm heading to Amsterdam on Friday and the missus is wanting to go a night time canal trip. Am I better trying to organise tickets online or am I able to just jump on one from off the street?

If you're ever going to Amsterdam, check out Glowgolf.

You'll be asked if you want a beer. Accept. You'll be asked that "for an additional €3, would you like shome 3D glasshes? Shometimes you feel like you're shinking, shometimes you feel like you're floating". Accept this offer and have the greatest time of your life.

Excellent recommendation thanks

On 10 October 2016 at 11:59, 11thHour said:

Probably the wrong group of folk to ask but I'm heading to Amsterdam on Friday and the missus is wanting to go a night time canal trip. Am I better trying to organise tickets online or am I able to just jump on one from off the street?

This is one of the better ones, probably best to book in advance as they tend to sell out

http://www.amsterdamjewelcruises.com/index.html?utm_nooverride=1

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 12:37, Savage Henry said:
3 hours ago, stevieKTID said:
3 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

This is one of the better ones, probably best to book in advance as they tend to sell out

Cheers!

A little from column A and a little from column B.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2016 at 10:59, 11thHour said:

Just back from Amsterdam myself - we booked a Pizza cruise the day before we wanted to go.  Place was full when we got on so I'd imagine booking in advance is the way to go. Cracking pizza and plenty beer!

I'd also highly recommend the Foodhallen.  Bit of a walk from the centre but well worth it.  Wonderful food there - had beef meatballs wrapped in bacon and a hot dog smothered in cheese and chips later.  Nice beer as well.  Haven't read through this topic but presume it's been mentioned before!

I ended up booking my cruise online before I went. £30 roughly for a cocktail cruise. Was at night so got to see the place all lit up, lasted 2 hours and I got 2 cocktails and 2 glasses of wine. Definitely worth it.

• 4 months later...
23 hours ago, guinness said:

Staying in the Vondelpark area for a couple of day's next week. What's the best things to do /see???

I got wrecked in September and thought it would be a good laugh to walk home thru the Vondelpark at midnight. It wasn't.

• 3 weeks later...

I know its an older thread but have to acknowledge the recommendations. 

Aside from the obvious, we spent time over the weekend at GlowGolf, Satellite Sports Cafe, and the Heineken tour (which I had done previously). Many thanks for the recommendations! Glowgolf isnt well known enough for how good it is. Thought it was tremendous after a few of Amsterdam's finest.

For anyone else who reads this thread, i would add Coco's Outback to the recommendations. A cracking wee Aussie pub with a pool table, 20 odd tvs with different sports on each, cheap beer and cracking food (i had a mighty fine kangaroo burger). At about 10pm it becomes a club as they take away all the tables and chairs and get the lights out and tunes blasting. I don't know if this is always the case but that was a Saturday night for us.

I would also point out that Teasers is no more so dont go looking for that. It was used to fund crime or something and was shut down by the authorities.

Generally, i found most places were ok for a beer. Buying one singular was expensive but you were able to buy 4 pints/5 bottles for €15 most places which isnt bad. Buying anything individually was quite expensive but there were generally more than enough deals about.

Edited by #Gary

• 3 weeks later...